Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What are some of the best relaunching kites right now?

Forum for kitesurfers
Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What are some of the best relaunching kites right now?

Postby Hawaiis » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:06 am

SupaEZ wrote:
ripper tom wrote: turbine startet at 5kn in deep water without board !

https://vimeo.com/68921036

Sorry to inform you that this relaunching video was not shot in only 5 knots of wind
+1, twin tips can not go at 5 knots.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Windrider » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 am

I agree that the wind in the video looks to be more than 5 knts.... more like 8. But, still impressive. I liked the reverse launch. Looks cool. Nice flying 17m kite.
:thumb:

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:14 pm

Definitively not 5 knots. Have a look at the boats...
What I frankly can't understand is why every day we must read we can kite in 4, 5, 6 knots. It's like reading we're going to ski with no snow or swimming in 8 inches of water. Why? Kiting is a wind related sport, no wind, no kite, that's all.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:53 pm

what is this thread actually about?

how do define "easy" relaunch.

by "easy" a person would think you mean simple, in terms of technique and physical effort required. you could also mean that the relaunch happens generally in a smooth way, without "issues" or "problems"

easy technique would be single outside line tension, lift the wingtip. thats most kites. issues or problems might be tendencies for the wingtip on the water to not shed water easily, causing the kite to "rock" or "stick" badly and in an unsmooth way, or a tendency for bridle or outside line snags on the canopy. other problems might be folding LE's, or a kites tendency to not balance well on its wingtip at the edge of the wind, and instead slide/fall forward and point downward (or fall over backward) when in "launch position".

many (vast majority) kites have "easy" relaunch characteristics in decent wind (15mph and up)

the good question is what kites maintain those characteristics (can lift a wingtip and turn on their side without finesse, can sit on their wingtip at the side of the wind well, can release from the water in a smooth way, and are less likely to snag lines on the canopy) in light wind, and how light. like the kiteschool guy posted, good lightwind relaunch characteristics are super important to a school, as well as as light wind riders, and especially beginners.

i can make a kite relaunch in virtually nothing, but what kites do it without a lot of secret technique and effort.

i thought this was a good topic, and the feedback was good, i have some experience with most of the kites mentioned, and i agree that most of them are some of the better relaunching kites out there.

ripper tom
Medium Poster

Postby ripper tom » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:47 pm

i know ! :roll: in a video 7-10kn. turbine startet 5kn in deep water also very well !

Return to “Kitesurfing”