Forum for kitesurfers
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Looking for a more comfortable harness

Postby Starsky » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:18 am

Laughingman wrote:

I'm surprised people are still buying harnesses of the shelf...
Considering there is only one small start up doing custom kiteboarding harnesses globally its not such a surprise to me!

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)
Been thanked: 0

Postby Windrider » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:37 am

P.S. I use the Naish Balance seat harness ... with a Dynabar. This loosens up my hips in the seat harness a lot for wave riding.

windtzu
Medium Poster

Postby windtzu » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:10 am

Harness comfort is often personal preference, but for my two cents I'm loving a Liquid Force boardshorts (seat harness) and yes with a Dynabar. With the combo of the two I forget I even have a harness on; this is about a high a compliment as you can pay anything you're wearing. My friend feels the same about his ION B2 boardshorts harness and a Dynabar.

Board shorts = all the advantages of seat harness (increased leverage when riding with more power; lower center of gravity /a plus for riding strapless; no more riding up like a waist and rib-chest constriction esp. while if body dragging) without the diaper feel of the traditional seat. Couple this with a Dynabar sliding hook and you have total freedom and increased efficiency walking with the kite; body dragging; and riding toeside...And reduces and or possibly eliminates potentially for rib injury.

We both prefer the higher hook height of the ION and Liquid Force over Dakine Nitrous boardshorts. This again is personal preference.

On the flip side, I hear if you're a wakestyle rider, the waist without a sliding hook is a better choice.

JessicaWinkler
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Bay, Turks & Caicos
Style: Surf, freestyle, speed
Gear: RRD Boards: Bliss, Maquina, C.O.T.A.N
RRD Kites: Obsession, Religion
Brand Affiliation: RRD, Adidas Eyewear, LifeProof, MG Surfline, Freeride Project, GlideSoul

Postby JessicaWinkler » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:52 pm

I'm really small as well and the only harness i've ever been able to wear is a Mystic. Their new line is extremely comfortable and they have sizes to fit smaller people properly!

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:45 pm

One benefit of the Dakine Nitrous low hook position is that it may be easier on your backbone if you have back problems... your legs and glutes do all the work

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:49 pm

Starsky wrote:
Laughingman wrote:

I'm surprised people are still buying harnesses of the shelf...
Considering there is only one small start up doing custom kiteboarding harnesses globally its not such a surprise to me!
I'll give you that one...

Dwnwndr
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ocean City, NJ
Favorite Beaches: OCNJ, OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Ozone Reo, Fone Fish, Signature

Postby Dwnwndr » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:35 am

I've been focusing primarily and wave kiteing over the last year or so. I used the Dynabar with the Dakine Nitro shorts harness, which works well and I agree is probaly the least restrictive way to go. I've recently switched the Dynabar over to my Mystic Code 1 as I need better back support (herniated disc at L5-S1) I was not getting from the Nitro's lower set up. The Code 1 really allows you to dial in the fit and greatly reduces the harness ride up. As a side note, I also replaced the metal slider bar in favor of the Dyneema style set up, IMO way smoother operation than the metal bar. My physical needs and kiteing style have lead me to go with a custom harness from Engine. I have the good fortune of knowing two guys using them that are very pleased with the quality and performance. I based my decision on the custom back mold for optimal support, and the intergrated carbon slider bar set up is quite innovative . It's going to take a while to get, but I'm positive it will be worth the wait. I'll post pics and a review if anyone has interest.

ben newman
Medium Poster

Postby ben newman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:04 pm

If you are into waves then the Mystic two face is very comfortable.

Problem with buying a harness is that there are no demos so you need to ask a friend to try his/hers .
Why do shops have demo kites, demo boards, but no demo harness ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”