Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slow Turning 2009 Underground 5' 8" Freewave?

Forum for kitesurfers
Juwanna Kite
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Slow Turning 2009 Underground 5' 8" Freewave?

Postby Juwanna Kite » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:59 pm

I have a 2009 Underground 5' 8" Freewave that until about a year ago I rode only strapless. I decided about that time frame to switch back to riding strapped and put straps on that board. I find that it really doesn't want to be turned hard. That it fights me when I try to throw a hard bottom turn. I suspect it's because my rear foot is now further forward than if I was riding it strapless. Has anyone else experienced this? Any cures?

Thanks

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Slow Turning 2009 Underground 5' 8" Freewave?

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:06 pm

Juwanna Kite wrote:I have a 2009 Underground 5' 8" Freewave that until about a year ago I rode only strapless. I decided about that time frame to switch back to riding strapped and put straps on that board. I find that it really doesn't want to be turned hard. That it fights me when I try to throw a hard bottom turn. I suspect it's because my rear foot is now further forward than if I was riding it strapless. Has anyone else experienced this? Any cures?

Thanks
Something is wrong, as you should be able to turn it even harder and more powerful with straps.

And it is definitely not because your rear foot is further forward (although, why is it forward ? The plugs are maybe too far forward ? As you will typically not have the foot further back nor forward with or without straps).

Because all the power and turning should be centered around the front foot which is the "driving" foot on a surfboard, when talking about bottom turns, so the rear foot position is of absolutely no influence here.

If you have the forward strap too tight it will not work that natural though - so keep it quite loose and put the screws one plug further apart so you can twist the foot 45 degree more easily.

You dont need the forward strap as forward as when riding strapless in light wind though, as you get an extra "gear" so to speak, with a strap.

Regarding the rear strap (which is NOT the issue here, when talking about bottom turns), you can choose to have it as far back as possible, and stand in front of the strap in lighter wind or flat waves - and use the rear strap for max power cutbacks in steep and powerful waves :thumb:

But a personal choice - as some has it further forward.

A bit amazed that you have ridden the board a year now, without finding out what is wrong ?

Hope you find your way 8)

:D Peter

PS: Are you riding on a TT often ?
Because this can give you some really bad habits, as you have pressure and power on the rear foot in the bottom turn on a TT - which is absolutely wrong on a surfboard.
If the case, my advice is to leave the TT at home for a month or more, till you have dialed the surfboard and can ride both styles later maybe.

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:51 pm

Try riding without rear fin makes board super loose and skatey but still holds,i agree rear strap is a little far forward,peter is right this should have little effect on bottom turns,its a better top turner than bottom, TONY

Juwanna Kite
Medium Poster

Postby Juwanna Kite » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:11 pm

Because all the power and turning should be centered around the front foot which is the "driving" foot on a surfboard, when talking about bottom turns, so the rear foot position is of absolutely no influence here.
While on a tack I agree that the front foot dominants, on a bottom turn I find just the opposite, that most of the power is delivered through the rear foot, consequently the position relative to the fins is important.

A bit amazed that you have ridden the board a year now, without finding out what is wrong ?
That's because I have two other strapped boards that work really well. A 2007 Underground 5' 8" (has the traditional surfboard shape) and a 2010 Best Short Stick 5' 6". And the Short Stick turns REALLY well.

I just didn't think the Freewave was fixable because of the recessed deck makes moving the rear strap backward not feasible.

Return to “Kitesurfing”