Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

When a steering line hooks into the harness...

Forum for kitesurfers
andrepen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Buzios, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: When a steering line hooks into the harness...

Postby andrepen » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:01 am

Hello there,

I don't know why we insist using a hook.... Thats the weak point of our system... 99% of the kiters never unhook in the water, they sould use any other connection with the chicken loop other than a hook.

Its very dangerous, I almost died because of it. Have a look at the thread below:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2377378

Safety first, my friends!!

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:09 am

bnthere wrote:
ronnie wrote:Presumably the thing to do is grab the powerline and keep pulling it down toward you until the kite depowers - if you do it fast enough before the lines twist too much?

there is no such thing in kiteboarding as a "power line," that is an ambiguous term. there are inside lines and out side lines, also referred to as front lines and back lines.

another stab at a terminology thread.

power lines carry electricity.
Do bore off please

Many people call the front lines power lines, anyway who made you the terminology police!!

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:22 am

Gnarly, it's good people can actually see this and understand what can happen with deathoops. I have seen someone dragged like this for 3 km - very close to drowning - they gave up that day + i was also told that someone drowned from a deathloop during a lesson in New Caledonia a few years ago.

This is like snap shackle full circle- problem with them years ago is that they got sand in them and jammed and the fact they flew around meant you could not get to them.. a new innovation like slingshot tried a few years back (quick release spreader bar) would be progress cos todays kites are way more at risk of deathloops compared to kite design ten years ago simply due to several design changes (much faster turning kites that do not hit water when turned, bridles, pullies, crap leader lines, hooks on leashes etc, chicken loop qr that can jam in spreader bar hook etc....)

Metaphor_
Medium Poster

Postby Metaphor_ » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:44 am

JGTR wrote:
bnthere wrote:
ronnie wrote:Presumably the thing to do is grab the powerline and keep pulling it down toward you until the kite depowers - if you do it fast enough before the lines twist too much?

there is no such thing in kiteboarding as a "power line," that is an ambiguous term. there are inside lines and out side lines, also referred to as front lines and back lines.

Do bore off please

Many people call the front lines power lines, anyway who made you the terminology police!!
I've never heard of a "power line", so I appreciate the clarification.

Anyway, spooky situation.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:51 pm

JGTR wrote:
bnthere wrote:

Do bore off please

I've never heard of a "power line", so I appreciate the clarification.

Anyway, spooky situation.
Really? Its the one that the majority of the power of the kite comes through - the one you hook your harness into, hence power line(s) as opposed to steering lines.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:09 am

nobody says bore off in my country. you can tell people you call things whatever you want while people that take lessons will keep learning proper, unambiguous terminology. this is a free service to the general population of kiteforum, its nothing personal. if people dont want it, i wont do it. its 50/50 on this thread at the moment.

and your harness doesnt hook to any lines at all. now im not even sure what your talking about, the last statement sounds like you are referring to the power control line, otherwise known as a sheeting line, commonly but unprofessionally and ambiguously referred to a chicken loop ( the line part, not the harness loop part or trim strap section). but i know your actually talking about the 2 inside (aka front) flying lines. but it isnt clear.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:26 am

icebird wrote:How about getting board speed then shoot towards the kite and try to secure a line?
that doesnt work because first of all you arent expecting it! If you were expecting it, well of course then you would throw the QR, then maybe the leash QR. Actually if you are expecting it, like maybe you see your steering lines catch on your hook, yes, just aim straight downwind, that will relax the lines, you can probably grab the line and undo it, maybe even keep riding. But that's no disaster.

So assume it comes out of the blue. Just riding like usual calm as can be not expecting anything and then wham you get knocked down so hard, it's like a giant hand whacks you, and if you are on a twintip you get blasted out of your board, you might stay in the bindings in boots but now you are supermaning and tea bagging straight down wind. You can't see anything because you are in the water and it's all foaming it's like you're a fishing lure, so you reach blindly for your QR, it doesn't work so you reach blindly for your leash QR, you practice these all the time so they are easy, but the deathloop doesn't stop it, now you realize the lines are caught on your harness. All this time you are getting slammed downwind. Your next step if you are on a waist harness, try to get out of your harness, if you're on a seat harness grab your hook knife and start sawing.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:14 am

edt wrote: if you are on a waist harness, try to get out of your harness, if you're on a seat harness grab your hook knife and start sawing.
i dont know man. getting out of the harness sounds harder than going for a knife, and going for a knife sounds harder and less likely than getting a hand on a line, any line, and pulling it in hand over hand.

in the case of this video, the fastest way to drop that kite is with an arm length or so of tension on the other outside line. stall it back down onto the water. enough tension on any single line (including the outside line it is spinning around) will also bring the kite down.

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:06 am

"I've never heard of a "power line" "

It's more common with 4 line fixed bridle kites. Power lines / Brake lines, more so than front/back lines.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:21 am

bnthere wrote:
edt wrote: if you are on a waist harness, try to get out of your harness, if you're on a seat harness grab your hook knife and start sawing.
i dont know man. getting out of the harness sounds harder than going for a knife, and going for a knife sounds harder and less likely than getting a hand on a line, any line, and pulling it in hand over hand.
Sure you can grab a line (or hit the QR if you have single center line flag), but this only works in the first 2 or 3 loops. I'm talking about what happens after that when the lines, leader and leash all get tangled up good.

Sure if you notice the direction it's looping just pull the opposite leader down until it backstalls and crashes, but if you get knocked on your ass because of unexpected kiteloop that might not be an option.

Return to “Kitesurfing”