Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Surf kite from Epic Kites

Forum for kitesurfers
Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Re: The Surf kite from Epic Kites

Postby Dimitri M » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:53 pm

Nice post Flysurf77. Where you able to stay up wind on the SURF 8m in these conditions? I know you were doing a down winder from what you describe in your post but I am just curious if you were able to stay up wind during your down winder. Plus how much do you weight? This might be helpful for all of us.
Also if you get a chance please try the SURF 12m in (10 to 15 knots). This 12m is as powerful as any 15 meter kite.
Concerning the SURF 5m, Momi is working on it as we speak, now that we know how good the SURF 8 and 12 are.

JessicaWinkler
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Bay, Turks & Caicos
Style: Surf, freestyle, speed
Gear: RRD Boards: Bliss, Maquina, C.O.T.A.N
RRD Kites: Obsession, Religion
Brand Affiliation: RRD, Adidas Eyewear, LifeProof, MG Surfline, Freeride Project, GlideSoul
Been thanked: 0

Postby JessicaWinkler » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:32 pm

I really look forward to trying this new kite. I will be in Brazil from Sept 2nd - Dec 22nd so if you would like high wind tests done, i'd be happy to do it. What size lines are you thinking of providing with the kite? Personally the thing i would like to see is larger LE so the kite doesn't crumple into a ball if you do crash and fast relaunching. Sorry if i repeated anything but i didn't have the patience to read 20ish pages of thread.... lol

As far as look / design goes i really like Momi's graphics. I think they look really nice in the air. The plain colour kites are too boring. I would say picking colours that really stand out against blue is the best like red or orange. (Better for photos)

Cheers!
Jessica Winkler - Team Rider Epic

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:51 pm

Hello JessicaWinkler. The SURF 5/8/12 will come with an extra set of 18 meter lines in their bags.
Now concerning having a "larger LE so the kite doesn't crumple into a ball if you do crash" don't worry we have this under control.
Concerning the power of the kites. I think the SURF 8 will be your biggest size for you, so the 8 m will be perfect.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:02 pm

Having a great time testing the SURF prototypes. :thumb:
Attachments
Cameron helpin his dad launch the Surf.jpg
GPV_Epic_682013-0034.jpg
Dimitri testing the SURF 8.jpg
Dimitri strapless on Reef 5'7" and SURF 8.jpg
Dimitri eating it.jpg

Flysurf77
Medium Poster
Gear: EPIC KITEBOARDING
Brand Affiliation: IKO/PADI/EPIC/WAINMAN

Postby Flysurf77 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:11 pm

Today the wind was pretty light in the morning, 11/15 knots on shore, so took the SURF kite 12m prototype to give it a go! I weight about 145Lbs, 150Lbs after getting wet! :naughty:
I couldn t self launch it in the water as the wind was too light and the kite couldn t stay standing on the side of the window, so a buddy of mine passing by gave me a launch.
Barely enough wind to get up on the board, a custom 5´6 surfboard I think, but once on it I couldn t believe the power of this thing!
G0010461.JPG
Had to pull some depower and could easily cruise along, ride upwind, make some small jumps using the little chop!
The kite is turning good for a 12m, I rarely ride kites bigger than 10m so I d have to compare with an other 12m kite.
I like the fact that as the 8m I tried earlier this week, the kite doesn t loose power after the loop and doesn t have any delay coming out of it!
G0020685.JPG
I am wondering about the size of the briddles tho, I think they might be too long and couldget tangled in case of crash!

:mosh:

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:03 pm

Thank you Flysurf77 for the post and pictures about the SURF 12. Did you use 22 meter lines, 15 meter lines or 18 meter lines? Personally I love 15 meters but the SURF will come with an extra set of 18 meter lines. The RENEGADES are the ones that come with an extra set of 15 meter lines.
This is still a prototype, we have few more prototypes coming in with very small bridles. Also one of them won't have any bridles. In few words we still have some work to do but we are very close.
How did the 12 meter SURF turned by the way, was it enough wind to test its turning speed???
If I did not have 12 meter written on the wing tips of the kite what do you think its size would of been with out knowing it was a 12? The reason I am asking this is because people that have demo the kite due beleive it has more power then what a 12 meter should have.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:29 am

Dimitri M wrote: If I did not have 12 meter written on the wing tips of the kite what do you think its size would of been with out knowing it was a 12? The reason I am asking this is because people that have demo the kite due beleive it has more power then what a 12 meter should have.
12.8 meter :wink:
Let me explain
I know of a kite that has 17 on it and has 17.8 flat area....very powerful indeed for it's size
(not talking about Core)

Dj A-Ron
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cass Lake MI
Port Huron MI (Lake Huron)
Metro Beach MI (Lake St. Clair)
Harsens Island MI (Lake St. Clair)
Favorite Beaches: Tawas MI (Lake Huron)
Oscoda MI (Lake Huron)
Little Sable Point MI (Lake Michigan)
The Flats (Key West)
Anywhere in Cape Hatteras
Kite Beach (Maui)
La Ventana (Mexico)
Barkers (Grand Caymen)
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Kites: Epic Renegade 9m 3G, Airush Lithium 12m & 14m, Blade Fat Lady 17m

Boards: Epic Droid, Oxygen, Spartan, Airush Cypher 5'6"
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dj A-Ron » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:27 am

Kind of a bummer it won't water launch with 11/15 knots of wind! That seems like it would be enough wind to launch most kites....? :-?

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:23 am

Dj A-Ron wrote:Kind of a bummer it won't water launch with 11/15 knots of wind! That seems like it would be enough wind to launch most kites....? :-?
Well, that must be a very handsome surf kite if it can't be launched in 11/15 knots.
I thought you can launch (and kite) Epic kites in 2 knots?

Dj A-Ron
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cass Lake MI
Port Huron MI (Lake Huron)
Metro Beach MI (Lake St. Clair)
Harsens Island MI (Lake St. Clair)
Favorite Beaches: Tawas MI (Lake Huron)
Oscoda MI (Lake Huron)
Little Sable Point MI (Lake Michigan)
The Flats (Key West)
Anywhere in Cape Hatteras
Kite Beach (Maui)
La Ventana (Mexico)
Barkers (Grand Caymen)
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Kites: Epic Renegade 9m 3G, Airush Lithium 12m & 14m, Blade Fat Lady 17m

Boards: Epic Droid, Oxygen, Spartan, Airush Cypher 5'6"
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dj A-Ron » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:54 am

Caesar wrote:
Dj A-Ron wrote:Kind of a bummer it won't water launch with 11/15 knots of wind! That seems like it would be enough wind to launch most kites....? :-?
Well, that must be a very handsome surf kite if it can't be launched in 11/15 knots.
I thought you can launch (and kite) Epic kites in 2 knots?
Ugh... Really Ceasar, you're still here?!

Don't you know that only "Epic followers" are allowed to critique Epic kites :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”