Rare Poster
Local Beach: Agonda Beach, Goa
Gear: Speed 3 21sqm + Kayak
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kite scooter could outpace raceboards: Prototype video

Postby kibokit » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:54 am

FrederikS wrote:I like the idea of a non heeling design definitely the holy grail of speed sailing. The foils at the front seem dangerous even with a rubber trailing edge.

The hull seems a bit big to me, is that out of a flotation concern for when/if the wind or kite drops?

Looks like it is good fun on the water :)
After I had tried the rig on a 160l-windsurf-board first and even that felt quite shaky, I build this prototype quite big. This would be about the right size to carry a passenger or for an absolute beginner, I suppose, if I am to build another one it most probably is going to be quite a bit smaller, though I would like it to remain a floater.

Ingo

detourpr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Juan
Favorite Beaches: Parguera (PR), St. Marteen, Aruba, Cabarete
Style: Freestyle, Freeride
Gear: SS RPM, North Fuse, Skywalker, LF

Postby detourpr » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:06 am

Congratulations for such a wonderful idea. I think it will eventually get developed and commercialized. It will change a lot (specially all that metal in the front part), but you are into something.

I just got one question for the moment: have you tried relaunching the kite from the scooter? I imagine you have to take the lines off from the metal hook and have to struggle trying to keep balance on the scooter.

windfreak74
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 70 kg
Local Beach: la trinchera
Favorite Beaches: maule region
Style: weird style!
Gear: switch helium3 7m 2018
Crazyfly 115 x 44 Chill 2021
nobile 2hd 134x42 2018
Manta foil 2015/2018
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby windfreak74 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:16 pm

Hello kibokit,
Congratulation on striving to imagine and create a posible future!
wouldnt a a fixed front foil like a rudder or front foils under the nose of your watercraft do the same job without the girating foils?
what im saying is a modification of your moustache foil combination under the hull.
something like the fixed front foils on the multihull sailboat DCNS Hydroptere fixed by the nose to get a similar effect of your design.

i recently seen the paracat kiteboat controls and the design seem very clean , simple and safe. maybe its worth a look to improve your current design.
Just food for you imagination!!
please keep us posted on future developments!!!

kibokit
Rare Poster

Postby kibokit » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:32 pm

detourpr wrote:Congratulations for such a wonderful idea. I think it will eventually get developed and commercialized. It will change a lot (specially all that metal in the front part), but you are into something.

I just got one question for the moment: have you tried relaunching the kite from the scooter? I imagine you have to take the lines off from the metal hook and have to struggle trying to keep balance on the scooter.
I have sometimes managed to restart the kite while remaining seated on the scooter, usually I get off, however, with the ring (which is hooked into a snap shackle) still attached to the lever arm (to act as a human drift anchor). If in any doubt about the safety I separate from the scooter by releasing the ring and restart as I would while kiteboarding, the ring doesn't interfere with the function of the bar.

kibokit
Rare Poster

Postby kibokit » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:42 am

windfreak74 wrote:Hello kibokit,
Congratulation on striving to imagine and create a posible future!
wouldnt a a fixed front foil like a rudder or front foils under the nose of your watercraft do the same job without the girating foils?
what im saying is a modification of your moustache foil combination under the hull.
something like the fixed front foils on the multihull sailboat DCNS Hydroptere fixed by the nose to get a similar effect of your design.

i recently seen the paracat kiteboat controls and the design seem very clean , simple and safe. maybe its worth a look to improve your current design.
Just food for you imagination!!
please keep us posted on future developments!!!
It would probably be possible, but much more complicated to arrange a fixed front foil in a way that the whole thing would be completely free of kite-induced heel (and being so is a great advantage as it practically eradicates the risk of capsizing through kite-pull and removes a limit on kite size thus enormously increasing the performance potential)
A second great advantage of my rig is, that the foils are getting above water line during gybes or tacks, which makes it extremely versatile and that it is possible to immediately retract them anytime by steering the kite to the zenith (I have once avoided getting caught by a fishing net doing so).

Return to “Kitesurfing”