Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Can the heat inside a Cargo Box damage the kite/board?

Forum for kitesurfers
mnd12
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha kites, Nobile twin-tip, Slingshot surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Can the heat inside a Cargo Box damage the kite/board?

Postby mnd12 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:58 pm

I've recently purchased the Yakima Cargo Box, to accommodate my kiting equipment, when driving up to camping, cottage etc.
Usually I'm able to store in this box, 2 kites, 1 twin-tip, 1 surfboard, two bars, harness, pretty much everything, kiting related :)

My only concern is when leaving up the car in full sun, for extended time in the parking lot, by the beach etc ... the temperature inside the box must reach quite high level ...

Could this extra heat damage the kites / boards etc?

Does anyone has any experience, carrying the kites inside the cargo box? Are there any ways to avoid any potential damage ...

Any feedback, much appreciated! Thanks!!
Attachments
yakima.jpg
yakima.jpg (109.99 KiB) Viewed 4632 times

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Can the heat inside a Cargo Box damage the kite/board?

Postby Kite2Heaven » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:21 pm

Mod it with a little triangular vent flap for rain protection - let it breathe...

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby JGTR » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:35 am

Yes the heat can cause the valves to delaminate, not sure a air vent would make much difference. Also black would be the worst colour

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:52 am

I was thinking of going to a smaller car with a rooftop box, but I had the same concern about heat damaging kites and boards. Especially my raceboard... Not sure if it is much worse than being inside the car though?

You should definitely at least paint the top white. That will reduce the temperature by 20-30 degrees F as compared to a black surface.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:57 am

Whats your typical ambient temperature. I think +30 deg C then you could have troubles.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:58 am

I have the Yakima Skybox 18 and love it.
I have used it for years in hot summer months and have not had a problem when transporting gear.
When I get to my destination I take out the kites and surf boards, but have had no problems leaving in twin tips and other gear.

So, pack it full on the way there without fear. Maybe the airflow over and under the box while driving keeps it cool. If I make any long stops I park in the shade.

The great thing even if you keep your kites out of it while at the beach, is you can throw all your wet and sandy gear in there after the session. Or just throw other beach crap in there so there is more room for your kites in the vehicle.

The only problem I've had is I did drive away one time with the lid open. That didn't end well...

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:08 am

there was a thread here by a guy who measured temperatures inside one and then painted it white, remeasured. Painting it white made a huge difference.
I hate getting into a a dark colored car in the summer, my white one is much cooler.
Although it doesn't look especially cool, you feel like a cool guy inside, more important imo...

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:30 am

you dont have to paint it white (but if you want thats a good idea), just crack it open enough so the breeze gets in there and the temp never goes above ambient. I have a black car, have to open the trunk an inch or two that's enuf 2 save the valves. If you let the temp get above 40c (about 100f) good chance you will have to restick your valves. Note the heat doesn't really damage the kite it just makes the valves come off so you need to glue them back on. heat is not good for surfboards either pressure can build up inside the board and wreck it. The lines, harness twintip can get up to 80c before they start to have problems (dyneema starts to degrade at 80c) so as long as you dont cook them in the oven they are ok.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:39 pm

BWD wrote:there was a thread here by a guy who measured temperatures inside one and then painted it white, remeasured. Painting it white made a huge difference.
that was "wetstuff"
if you PM him or do a search, you'll find the thread somewhere.

I did plan on installing one of those little air vents when I first got my box, but never got around to it. My concern was that, at times, we end up parked in a driving rain. (we do storm chase, after all, to get that pre or post frontal wind). I didn't come across an easy vent retrofit that would still keep things dry in a storm.

mnd12
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha kites, Nobile twin-tip, Slingshot surfboard

Postby mnd12 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:09 pm

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

I didn't realize the color of the box would make such a difference; probably I would have considered buying the Grey color. My car is also black.

Maybe I'll try selling my black box, and buy the grey one, if it does make such difference.

For now, I'll try parking the car always in the shade; alternatively, I can put the camping gear in the box and the kites in the trunk. The only problem being my 5'8" surfboard, that I have no option but to put it in the cargo box.

For the surf board, I'm always using this travel bag. Would the bag make any difference to further protect the board from the high temperature inside the cargo box?
http://ca.dakine.com/p/bags/surfboard-b ... uxe-stubby

Return to “Kitesurfing”