Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Seat vs. waist

Forum for kitesurfers
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Seat vs. waist

Postby ronnie » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:24 pm

To get a better stance, is it possible that the centreline will no longer go through the bar?

Ideally the rider wants to have the centreline go to the hips and lean out to hold more power, so it would help if the bar (or handles) was separate from the centreline.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:37 am

BraCuru wrote: Noooot only!
First of all you have a hook fitted much lower and this is the main feature of racing harness. It allows to take a more comfortable position riding any direction and control better gusts.I believe that such a hook's position gives better chances to ride on the leeward edge. The feet pressure might be released easier and more body weight might be distributed through a hook.

Secondly you can lower the racing harness to extreme positions what you cannot do it wit a normal one. In competition I keep it almost below of my hips.

Have you notice that more top riders are coming back to a seat one this year?
Blaszko got a custom made seat harness with low position and crazy ultra light weight. He would not do it without some reasons.

Please try first if you can and spend couple of hours to adopt to the proper position. Then you might take advantage of this low suspended harness.
There is no way for me to try the NP one here...but I will see if I can check a buddys regular seat. My primary reason is my back gets tweaked when I am racing...I think added benefit of the lower leverage. I guess it will put more effort on the legs, but that is fine.

FrederikS
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby FrederikS » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:18 am

I have the NP race seat from 2012 and the low hook works alright but the back support is a bit lacking. It feels like the lacks stiffness in the lower back area. So if you have back issues you might want to look at something with a higher back and more support area.

ipxca
Rare Poster
Local Beach: playa lido puerto la cruz, punta araya both in venezuela
Favorite Beaches: all cabarete´s beaches
Style: long distance
Gear: naish kites and north race board
Brand Affiliation: none
Been thanked: 0

Postby ipxca » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:46 pm

Seat solves pain and tired back.
But I've seen too many top riders using waist harness...and heard it helps during the roll tack and provides a faster turn. Is this true?....
I am trying to find out how much it helps....and how much I have to pay with pain and stressed back.

Chosen one
Rare Poster
Gear: North Dyno
North Rebel
Wipika Indy
Been thanked: 0

Postby Chosen one » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:09 pm

I am new to racing. I've tried a seat and a waist. I find with a waist harness my arms can't handle it. The bar pressure is too much after a while. The seat is much easier on the arms. And I imagine on the back too. I think movement is restricted a bit but for racing I imagine it's much easier to hold down power with leverage from your hips.

I heard that trapeze harnesses are becoming popular with racing. I will try the below harness which is a boat trapeze harness but it has a few different methods of adjustment, the waist can probably be tightened and the hook can move up and down. Other trapeze harnesses don't look like they have that adjustment, I might be wrong. The only problem with it is that there are toggles for the lines to get caught around!

http://allweathergear.com/shop-by-brand ... -4900.html

Return to “Kitesurfing”