Style: All of it.
Gear: Waiman 7, 9, 12 and Epic Screamer 14

Epic Spartan 129, F-One Trax 134, Waiman Blunt 137 W
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tahiti in October... Any advice Kiters?

Postby Loon » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:49 pm

Hey Kiters, I'm headed to Tahiti the last 10 days of October and am looking for any information on places to stay. Im not really interested in the resorts and pricey hotels so does any bidy know if there are kite hostels or anything like that over there?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Tahiti in October... Any advice Kiters?

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:31 am

there will be backpackers there at Papeete ? ... French polynesia is suuuper expensive to most (taxis, food, accom) - French bread and wine is not too expansive tho! :-). Prob somewhere better to stay tho closer to spots - keen to know myself,...

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:45 pm

Loon wrote:Hey Kiters, I'm headed to Tahiti the last 10 days of October and am looking for any information on places to stay. Im not really interested in the resorts and pricey hotels so does any bidy know if there are kite hostels or anything like that over there?
Hi Loon,

When I was there, I was staying in a guesthouse near Papeete which was priced similar to a 4.5* hotel in any major city of the world.
But as longwhitecloud mentioned already- everything is exorbitantly expensive! I will not go back to Tahiti. Check out Moorea. That's where I ended up, and the scenery there is just fantastic.
Good luck if you want to go there for kiting.

Cheers
Caesar 8)

Loon
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cass Lake, Michigan
Favorite Beaches: Icarai/Isle do Guajaru/Cumbuco Brazil, Los Barriles BCS
Style: All of it.
Gear: Waiman 7, 9, 12 and Epic Screamer 14

Epic Spartan 129, F-One Trax 134, Waiman Blunt 137 W

Postby Loon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:01 pm

Hmmm... I wonder if I'll get any shit if I just get one of those Wave Caves and just sleep on the beach? Yeah, I'll probably end up in Moorea anyway as I'm looking to hook with s tattoo artist there to get some work done. Didn't think Tahiti would be so expensive...

Wisha
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Whyalla, Henley
Gear: CORE

Postby Wisha » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:59 pm

Can be done at a reasonable cost. Sofitel resort / Hotel was $160 a night. Supermarkets etc had reasonable/ comparable prices (Milk, cereal, bread, cheese - same price, but good stuff) Hired a car from Hertz, $80 a day (hire it on Friday arvo for 24 hrs, they will ask you to leave the keys in a letterbox on Saturday - everyone knocks off by midday, I dropped the keys off Sunday arvo, no issue). Fri, Sat, Sun $80. Petrol was cheaper than Australia, not that the Peugot 107 used any. I gave the guy $6, petrol spilled on the ground & I got change! All the food stalls come out at night, $10 for a massive feed of fish/ roast while hanging out with the locals. Jump on a ferry to Moreea and go pat some sting-rays. Catch a taxi to a restaurant and you're going to get pasted!
Papeete is nothing flash, got to get out to the islands for the true Taihiti experience.
As for:
Surfing.. Black sand, 1000 people out. Drive to Teahupoo if you want to die (about 100km).
Kitesurfing - Gusty, enough coral to rip 10 years of skin off your feet.

Wisha
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Whyalla, Henley
Gear: CORE

Postby Wisha » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:08 pm

Sorry, prices above are Australian Dollars..

Return to “Kitesurfing”