slaterson19
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Outer Banks,N.C.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Naish Park vs. Ride

Postby slaterson19 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:04 pm

Anybody test these two kites? I have some Parks but would switch over if it will help me concentrate more on surfing and learning new tricks instead of worrying about what the kite is doing. How does the Ride rate for Jumping, turning speed, stability, relaunch, surfing, freeride? Thanks.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Naish Park vs. Ride

Postby tautologies » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:44 pm

slaterson19 wrote:Anybody test these two kites? I have some Parks but would switch over if it will help me concentrate more on surfing and learning new tricks instead of worrying about what the kite is doing. How does the Ride rate for Jumping, turning speed, stability, relaunch, surfing, freeride? Thanks.
For me it depends a bit on what you are doing and in which wind conditions...the one thing I can say the ride is not a beginners kite. Yes it is easy to use, but the performance does not hold many back.

I think both those kites drift well...but a bit differently Ride is lighter and a bit flatter and you'll notice that.
The jumping on the ride is a bit softer, but it does jump well. I just had the 11 out with a TT, and had a blast. Super easy to know where the kite is.
A buddy of mine just switched over from first version parks to the ride and nailed some strapless rotations he never did before...I think because the kite just hangs there. I'd say turning is similar. Stability both kites have a huge windrange. The Ride will be a tad more alive at the upper ranges, but great windrange. The Park feels tighter in ultra gusty condition, but there is no wind conditions I would not take the ride out in. Relaunch both are great. Surfing...it depends a bit on how you ride. I'd say drift down the line Ride has perhaps the edge, but the Park works well there too...

The biggest difference: if you do and want more powered kiteloops I would go Park. If you like the kite to just sit and control it by sheeting then the ride is your kite...you can still send for jumps..both kites have awesome hangtime. I also think mixing it up can work great. I think for instance for me the 11 ride and 8 park is a great combo...but the 9 ride is a killer kite too LOL.

What sizes are you looking at?

slaterson19
Rare Poster

Postby slaterson19 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:59 pm

I was thinking 12,9,7 meter Rides. REAL has the 2013 models on sale but there is only a 12 and 8m. I would have to get the 2014 9m model.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:26 pm

slaterson19 wrote:I was thinking 12,9,7 meter Rides. REAL has the 2013 models on sale but there is only a 12 and 8m. I would have to get the 2014 9m model.
Well the new 9 is really really good.
I have not ridden the 12, but like the 11. Same for the 7..I have not ridden that yet...last year I used the 6 a lot because it got me out much earlier than I would expect.
The upgrades from last year are small but significant. First of the bridle is much tighter and does not have a regular pulley. They moved to a metal thingy..the kite itself is a bit flatter, without affecting the turning speed noticably, but gives you an extra little something at the bottom end.

To me the 9 ride have been my go-to kite these days.

Coloradokiter
Medium Poster

Postby Coloradokiter » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:54 pm

I had 2012 Parks and changed up to the 2013 Ride 1's. The Ride is pretty much how Taut has summed it up. I had 6/8/10/12 Ride One's and now I have 7/9/12 Ride 2's. If you can, go for the Ride 2 instead. The few little changes have definitely tightened up the kite. They moved the bridal attachment and for good reason. If you are very aggressive with the Ride 1 it can buckle in the middle because the bridal was placed a bit to outwards. The new position is closer to the middle of the kite and this makes it a lot more solid in really aggressive kite loops.

I ride about 10% of the time on a TT and mostly then in higher winds and the kites do everything the Park does. the rest of the time I ride strapless and the Ride shines here because you can concentrate on riding the board while the kite hangs out wherever you put it. The 7 and the 9 are great jumping kites too. I have no issues chucking them as hard as I can. They also la de da float all day down waves :-).

I do work for a shop and I can choose over Ozone, SS, Best, Wainman, Naish and I bought my own Ride's. Damn good kite, does everything well.

Boreas
Rare Poster

Postby Boreas » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:03 am

I've just bought a combo of 12/8 2012 and the universal bar.Does the same bar size work for the both sizes?and for the 8 do i need to change the bellow the bar line lenght?

Tks for the help

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:14 am

Boreas wrote:I've just bought a combo of 12/8 2012 and the universal bar.Does the same bar size work for the both sizes?and for the 8 do i need to change the bellow the bar line lenght?

Tks for the help
Same bar works for all kites....I have not tried the shorter setting :-)

slaterson19
Rare Poster

Postby slaterson19 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:49 pm

What about flutter/stability? If I park my kite at 12 oclock to adjust my straps or harness while in the water my Park starts to flutter in the wind and the lines want to go slack. I have to work it from side to side to keep the kite stable. Also, when coming in for a landing after jumping I have to dive the kite forward right before I hit the water or the lines go slack and the kite wants to fall out of the sky. Maybe this is just user error or all kites do this but how does the Ride handle as far as lines going slack,etc.

peppers
Rare Poster
Style: wave
Gear: whatever

Postby peppers » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:24 pm

Great discussion. I was thinking of switching my quiver of Parks to Rides in the end of the season. I mainly ride surfboard strapped and strapless. Never managed to try Ride in surf. Would like to hear more comments from other wave riders.

Coloradokiter
Medium Poster

Postby Coloradokiter » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:36 pm

Peppers: I changed to the Ride from the Park because of its wave riding ability. I ride waves only strapless and as much as I enjoyed the Park, it had a tendency to have a slight pull/tug at the end of its loops. That just bugged me whenever I looped the kite. The Ride is a bit slower in the larger sizes and very negligible in the smaller sizes but there is no pull at the end of the loops. I feel like when I rode the Park I was always paying some attention to the kite but with the Ride I just surf down the line and either drift or loop the kite but have to pay no attention to where it is. It just seems to follow me a lot better. I ride mostly side/on conditions if that helps you but I have ridden it in some gnarly side off with no issues either.

Return to “Kitesurfing”