fone new quick release problem

Forum for kitesurfers
JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: fone new quick release problem

Postby JGTR » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:10 pm

eldadgold wrote:Soooo you have one post on this forum and it is bashing Fone.... Let me be skeptic about your real intentions.

I have been riding Fone for a While and the QR works every time. That's why it haven't changed in 7 years. It just works.
If you look at the picture, and have half a brain, you can understand that you are supposed to keep polling the red strap, the QR will open.
I understand what you are saying, if it works then why change it, but that thing is a JOKE

Seriously, I can not believe that Velcro releases are still being used with the technology we have today and considering the cost of kites.

But wait, the ancient Velcro loop design is bad enough but this one doesn't even have a f*****g loop :o you pull the loop and it comes apart and your hand slips off, how unsafe is that!!!!!!!! In he UK it gets cold I the winter and with gloves on there is no way you'd be able to grab that tab.

F-One sort it out!!!!!! Most of your competitors have been making far superior releases for years.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:57 pm

Jbrook wrote:Get to know your release, its really simple Taut, I had that release and it worked fine but only after I figured out with lines under pressure how it works. People dont think they need it until its too late.
No it is not as simple as that. That is a bad excuse for a poor design. The system signals one thing and does another. If they want a tab, then have a tab. If they want a loop, then have a loop...

Sure as a user we should know the systems, but that only goes so far. This is a poor design IMO. Btw. I usually do not post like this at all as I usually am not into negative stuff, but this is a safety system and it has to be well designed. There are a lot of systems out there that have really poor design. They are over complicated..recently someone posted that their release system had parts that would wear out after season (?????) (not talking about ropes and lines..but internal parts in the release....which is insanity.

I do think we can bicker over what kite we like but this is our safety. It should work with very very minor checks for water damage. Release designs have to be solid. Tested. Re-tested. and Tested Some more.
Either way :-)
Last edited by tautologies on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:39 pm

tautologies wrote:
Jbrook wrote:Get to know your release, its really simple Taut, I had that release and it worked fine but only after I figured out with lines under pressure how it works. People dont think they need it until its too late.
No it is not as simple as that. That is a bad excuse for a poor design. The system signals one thing and does another. If they want a tab, then have a tab. If they want a loop, then have a loop...

Sure as a user we should know the systems, but that only goes so far. This is a poor design. Btw. I usually do not post like this at all as I usually am not into negative stuff, but this is a safety system and it has to be well designed. There are a lot of systems out there that have really poor design. They are over complicated..recently someone posted that their release system had parts that would wear out after season (?????) (not talking about ropes and lines..but internal parts in the release....which is insanity.

I do think we can bicker over what kite we like but this is our safety. It has to work with very very small checks for water damage. Designs has to be solid. Tested. Re-tested. and Tested Some more.
Either way :-)
Spot on Taut,Tony

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:31 am

See your point Taut. I had numerous FOne bars and never had any problems luckily I guess, I threw release maybe 10 times, I am all for better design, have the New North bar now like it alot.

Attila
Medium Poster

Postby Attila » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:38 am

100% with Taut.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:53 am

Jbrook wrote:See your point Taut. I had numerous FOne bars and never had any problems luckily I guess,.
:thumb: Now that is a different POV. I do not have experience with this system so my comments are based on anecdotal evidence and you adding to it that your experience is different certainly makes a valuable point. I cannot even remember what release my Bandit (II) had.

My energy related to this is really not directed at fone specifically, but lately there has been a few posts on releases that seems to not work. That is simply not good enough. Sure tweaks in kites and overall system might not always be 100% successful and that is acceptable in the name progress, but the safety release should have certain design goals:
Always work.
Easily accessible.
Easily understood.
Fast and simple to deploy.
Resilient.
Reliable.
etc.

Personally I would like to see an industry wide standardization. If the industry could collaborate it would probably make our kites an bit cheaper to produce...
Have the design co-owned or public domain...any improvement made by companies would be put back into the community.

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:17 am

Well just to put it simply, one of those QR's is being investigateur by the police after a request from the young widow... Was it involved, the investigation will tell. Great kites, sloppy release, the velcro on top should not be closes all the way around the buckle or it becomes virtually impossible to pull open. The best thing would be to buy the kites without the bar, that hurts the Wallet and may help. I suspect that the North, Cab, Core, Naish, SS, ozone, WH, bars will work just fine with the Bandit. They sell that Bar around $500... C'mon

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:22 am

Taut Bandit 2 had basically same release, this was the first year I rode Bandits and it was different than my previous set up for sure for the QR.

Since most companies compete with each other and for sure a QR is a big advertising or selling point I don't think it will ever be standardized. This topic is talked about often in posts but I cant remember when an industry guy has come and spoke on it because I bet it is a sensitive subject.

Just my 2c

elliott george
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Newgale
Favorite Beaches: Newgale
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Takoon lux 133x40
hadlow pro 13
Blade prime 9
Hyperlite remix

Postby elliott george » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:41 am

Slulfefly wrote:sorry but this happen to mi friend, not open!!! lucky he ok! why should he ly? I think better to warn other!
no business just help!
This man has brought up a valid argument and the QR does look like a very poor engineering soloution.

But this slulfely strickes me as slightly suspicious, how could some one spell 'buisiness' correctly and then spell 'mi' and 'ly' incorrectly. Maybe he is just trying to slander a company?!?!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:16 am

Know three bandit riders who use different bars. Love the kites hate the bars. So why use the bar if you don't like it, just get the wing.

Return to “Kitesurfing”