Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: The New Cabrinha Velocity

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:04 am

Mmmm I ask because have you read my post...a message to ozone?

Any chance you could read it and reply again based on what I have said.

The same post was put on the Aussie forum with a very constructive conversation. Which is weird as I normally come here for this, but alas nothing. Which is weird. Maybe we are all busily watching crew rip shit out of each other on the epic threads. Lol

So would ya! I'm open minded man.

Just got off the zephyr again...I'm adamant ozone need something between the cat and the full blown race kite the edge. Maybe this might be it. Its one of three I'm looking into.

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:46 am

Westozzy wrote:Who cares who invented what for fucks sake.
Would you explain it to marekmr please? :wink:
He obviously cares...

BTW: The crossbow line is over. You are right. No more CB in 2014.
It will be replaced by Contra in the monster sizes to kill Zephyr as Velocity kills Edge :wink:

Ive ridden Edge and Velocity in all sizes - both great kites. Which is better or the best? Who knows?
Who want to know? It's like a disccussion betweeen Trabant users if Mercedes is better then BMW ...
I prefer Velocity due to direct feeling. Edge is to soft on a bar for me.
Velocity will be too direct for Mr.Smith and he will love Edge because it's so nice soft in hands.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:19 am

Will they make the contra in smaller sizes?? That's my beef. Tell me what ozone has in terms of a free ride kite with some aspect now. They don't. Just the edge. The cat has moved closer the the C4.

So I'm looking for a zephyr type profile in smaller sizes.

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leeside park - Fort Walton Beach
Gear: Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii
Been thanked: 0

Postby OceanAdventures » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:51 pm

Westozzy wrote:Interesting comparisons with the edge. So where does the Xbox sit now in their range. Will they drop the aspect and or increase the curve of the arc? No point in having two kites competing with the edge.

And the guy that said the edge is a delta kite that is a bow kite....seriously!

What part of that kite is delta! I'd never touch it if it did.
I think the crossbow may be the girl left at the dance on this one. Crossbows have traditionally been the more popular kite here, and I think they could make the velocity with a little more beef and call it the 2014 crossbow, but I don't think so. Sad because the crossbow helped change kiting when it came out.

Now for the quality of the velocity, I don't think there will be as many issues with the light build, as we have had the kite out in some very overpowered conditions, I think it will hold up fine. We even had one slam into the beach, no problems.

I've now ridden the 11m from 10mph to 35mph (145 lbs). Obviously not the best wake style, but just pure I want to ride, this is one of the best kites out there.

Marc_87
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Slufter and Mirns
Style: Freeride/freestyle/oldskool
Gear: Powered by Flysurfer

Postby Marc_87 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Westozzy wrote:Will they make the contra in smaller sizes?? That's my beef. Tell me what ozone has in terms of a free ride kite with some aspect now. They don't. Just the edge. The cat has moved closer the the C4.

So I'm looking for a zephyr type profile in smaller sizes.
Buy a Switchblade and you have it! Really, especially the 2014 version that is coming out!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:05 am

Mmm a little to deep in the profile. Too much design idiosyncrasies for some soft unhooked stuff , it would only be marginally different to the new cat. We will see if they push it further along the aspect spectrum as they seem to do in 2013.

Will see.

JAW
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Colorado
Favorite Beaches: SPI, kite beach Maui, Kailua Oahu, Nicolas canyon Malibu
Style: foil
Gear: Naish kites, own custom boards, own custom foils, Naish Thrust Surf foil,

Postby JAW » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:19 am

The velocity 16m weighs 9lbs. The 2010 Crossbow 16m weighs 12lbs. The 3 pound difference makes a significant difference in the light wind performance. As a reference, the 2013 crossbow 13m weighs 8.9 lbs. I've ridden Crossbows since 2006, and find the 2013 Xbows the best freeride kite Cabrinha has ever made. I've only flown the 16m Velocity on the beach in less than 10 mph. Very impressed.

patrickrynne
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Biscayne Bay
Style: Racing & Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbows
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Adventure Sports Miami, Kiteracing.com, Patagonia, Kaenon Polarized
Been thanked: 0

Postby patrickrynne » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Hi All,

Saw this thread and thought i'd throw in some info about the Velocity.

This is the best kite in the crossbow family I think we've ever put out. Granted I'm biased to free ride/race style kites as I ride primarily for exploration, racing or in small waves. Here are the biggest differences between the Velocity and previous Xbows.

1.) Less Bar Pressure - When riding you will find that more load is distributed on your harness and less on the bar. I think this is a huge improvement for anybody that likes to do long sessions! I used to get "the claw," that perma-fist on my hand after marathon days in the waves with the older Xbows. Not with the velocity.

2.) Efficient - the key with this kite is that its super efficient and has a massive wind range. This means that you'll be flying a smaller sized Velocity to get the same power as most kites. This is important when comparing kites performance. For example, if you compare the same sized SB with the velocity, the SB is going to feel more reactive, turning faster, etc....but to get the same power as a SB, you could use a velocity that is at least 2 square meters smaller. When you do this you'll see that the small Velocity is at least as agile as the bigger SB.

3.) Turns faster - Of course this is a higher AR kite with a flatter arc then other kites in the lineup, so it won't turn faster than a SB of the same size etc. But when tested head to head with previous Xbows, it is noticeably faster. An example is when you're racing downwind cycling your kite, for every 1 cycle you can do with last years xbow, you can do 1.5 with the new velocity. This is one reason why the guys are going so fast downwind this season.

4.) Lighter - We took off all the little rip stops here and there that we didn't think were necessary and shed some lb's from the canopy. You notice it in light wind especially. I've never ripped one of our kites before, and so far these are holding up just as well.

5.) Everything is clean - from the racebar depower system, to the thin bridles, to the quick release....everything is designed to be as simple and clean as possible.

6.) Nice big bag - Personally I loved the long "sailing" style bags, so I was skeptical about having to use a back pack. I think the most damage we put on our kites is when we jam them into little bags wet with sand. Luckily the bags for the velocities are spacious and so you don't have do a perfect roll job to get it in. Perfecto!

hope that helps....really stoked on these kites, they are awesome!

-Patrick

Return to “Kitesurfing”