Metaphor_
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best way to recover from faceplant?

Postby Metaphor_ » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:45 am

Hi guys,

Once in a while I still accidentally faceplant, or get spun around so my board's behind my body, and I'm laying on my stomach in the water. So far I've just been taking the board off and setting up again.

One of my DVDs says you can dive the kite down and bring it up again to jump out of the water, but that looks a bit hardcore for me. Is there an easier way to get the board back in front, but quicker/less of a hassle than taking the board off?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: Best way to recover from faceplant?

Postby plummet » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:23 am

If you have lots of power in the kite your can sine it from the edge low down fast up to the zenith and pull the bar in. that will have the desired effect of pulling you up and out of the water.

most times its just easier to kick the board of and manually reposition.

g00se
Medium Poster

Postby g00se » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:46 pm

It's very easy, just practice - looks way cooler than wriggling around :cool2:

Just make sure your feet are secure in the straps, move kite to around 45 deg then send it up to zenith really hard and you pop up and out - then tense your stomach and get your legs out in front of you ready for a downwind landing, redirect the kite back to 45 as you swing underneath it.

Don't try and land on an edge as you'll just stop dead - remember to point the board downwind at the kite :thumb:

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:20 pm

Yeh what g00se said, or if you don't have enough power to do that you either muscle the board straight down, so you're in a standing position, then lie back and let the board float in front of you. Or you can sort of roll over and flop around on one side

lenker
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bulabog

Postby lenker » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:24 pm

What the others said and also point your toes so the board flattens out and glides out of the water rather than anchoring you.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:05 pm

Funny advertisement from down under forum :lol: :rollgrin:

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kite ... ert-funny/

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:22 pm

Do lots of stretching before your session and practice twisting your body (mainly working your core muscles) to bring your board back in front of you. If you roll your left shoulder down into the water, you can sheet in a little to help lift your board partly out of the water on your right side. Shorten the right side of your abdomen to assist the twisting and use your left arm extended out to the left side of the window to create drag in the water to help your body spin (counter-clockwise in this example). Once the board is downwind but not quite in front of you, tighten your right side now including your legs to try to pull the board around in front of you. You kite should be at zenith this whole time. When I have sufficient power, I can get the board out of the water and one push of my hand in the water has me spun enough to drop the board back in the water to do another waterstart.

Try what everyone else has said though, it's pretty fun. Then through a front roll into the mix!

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:05 pm

PVITfrumBYRAM wrote:Do lots of stretching before your session and practice twisting your body (mainly working your Core )
:thumb: personally i prefer to stretch and twist my body a lot during my LW sessions on the 19 :wink:

Return to “Kitesurfing”