Swim fins...what kind do you have???

Forum for kitesurfers
sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Swim fins...what kind do you have???

Postby sflinux » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:29 pm

Yesterday I got to try out these fins:
http://www.aquasphereswim.com/us/traini ... s/alphafin
They are lightweight (0.75 lbs) and offer good thrust. I carry them in a packpack (dry) for deepwater kiting breakdowns. They shortened the swim time back to shore at least 3X. I highly recommend them. The Aquasheres Alphafin replaced my Fins Zoomers which were heavier and had much less thrust.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:45 pm

nice. I always wanted to buy some shinfins (http://shinfin.com), because I thought you could wear them while kiting but never ordered a pair.

one place I kite has a sketch launch no downwind exit and some bad wind shadows, if the wind dies you can't relaunch and body drag upwind nothing to do but pack it in and start swimming back upwind to the launch

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:12 pm

clintopher wrote:After an undesirable episode the other day I'm looking at getting some swim fins. For those of you that have them, what kind do you have and what do you like/dislike about them?

Clint
Hi - just curious, as I dont understand this topic fully...

For what purpose do you need swim fins ?

Are swim fins the defintion for boogie board use, as many answers indicate ?

Or ?

I am not native english, and here in Denmark the term "swim fins" translated, simply means fins used by divers and similar.

So a bit puzzled about this thread, and what you mean by "undesirable episode" - are we talking about kitesurfing mishaps/failures/wind or what ?

And if so, I still dont understand how any even small "swim fins" could be carried easily, if that is the purpose, or are we talking raceboards and long distance trips maybe ? :roll:

Kindly, Peter Frank

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:15 pm

Peter Frank it's simple, what if the wind quits and you are a mile offshore? Only for special situations like a downwinder that requires an offshore leg. Shinfins fit around your ankle you can keep them on there until you need them.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:02 pm

edt wrote:Peter Frank it's simple, what if the wind quits and you are a mile offshore? Only for special situations like a downwinder that requires an offshore leg. Shinfins fit around your ankle you can keep them on there until you need them.
Thanks - I had no idea what this thread was about, as it somehow seemed to be about boogieboarding.

We dont ever use fins like that here (dont know why, if it is a good idea ?) 8)

- Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”