Forum for kitesurfers
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Crossbows and Kiteloops

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:45 am

Am I just wasting my time even trying? Cos for the battering I'm getting, I'd like to know that it's going to work eventually...

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Crossbows and Kiteloops

Postby Tone » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:21 am

wasting your time.

Crossbows don't kiteloop well.

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:29 am

Kamikuza wrote:Am I just wasting my time even trying? Cos for the battering I'm getting, I'd like to know that it's going to work eventually...
Models 2009-2011 - forget. Too slow, too much power created, too painfull...
For KL - the worst choice of Cab kites.
The worst kitelooper ever was CB 2010.

Obvioulsy there will be some guys trying to prove I am wrong and useless looper.
Maybe I am but the pain of broken ribs (4 on two occasions) is stronger than a will to discuss :wink:

2012 - did not try. I had the smallest 9m. Might be a bit better as models 2012 were a bit faster than predecessors.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:30 pm

Well that makes me feel better :)

My problem with trying to loop the 13m 2011 XB on Sunday was that it would end up pulling only in the bottom half of the window, so there was no lift and the pull was completely horizontal. I got several back-roll kite-loops down, but they were LAME... just a few feet above the water and total body-english to get around.

I did do one that was felt super-slick - timing was spot on so it was really smooth. Felt like I imagine low, unhooked back-roll kite-loops would look. Just one though :lol:

Considering that I learned them on the Speed3 21, and have to be careful cos it's so slow... the lift you get can pop you up a couple of meters but there's no kite above you to catch you :D

My first attempt at a kiteloop was a 16m XB... 2010. Got rifled straight down into the water :o

Timop
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Stilbay - Western Cape
Favorite Beaches: CT bigbay, Whitesands Kommetjie, Langebaan, Stilbay, Sterkfontein, Kalpitya
Style: Big Air
Gear: Cabrinha switchblade 2014, 4, 6, 8, 11, Bandit 5 - 10. F-one acid 130. Cabrinha thruster.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Timop » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:10 pm

I learned to KL on a 2011 11 CB. Took many...many beatings. Found in the end with the CB that the transition KL's work fine and smooth as you are looking for forward momentum and not so much lift. As far as the normal loops are concerned I found that a high late loop, just before the APEX, with your back turned fully (almost past) into the wind and in moderate wind works ok and you may get some lift just before landing. In strong winds it lifts high, but I could never get the loop quick enough to enjoy or make the landing. The early more radical loops with the 11 just bulleted me. (So I can well imagine what the 16 did to you). Since then I had the 2012 and 2013 Switchblades, for me the 2013 definitely loops better than the 2012 models and way better than the CB.

I took the 11 CB out again a couple of weeks ago just to see if the fact that my looping has improved may have an influence on how I loop the CB. Although I was able to land nice ones,(nothing radical) I never felt comfortable and it was an effort compared to the 2013 11 SB. (Like riding a road bike on gravel.)

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Postby slingshotucf » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:36 pm

A kite loop can be thrown on any kite. C kites, foils, Bows, SLE's. Just pull the trigger harder. Send the kite first and and wait for the lift then pop.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby JGTR » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:13 pm

I learnt to KL on a 2004 18m North Vegas, can't se how a CB could be so bad.

May just be the size if the kite, big kites are slower to loop so will always pose a problem

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:53 pm

JGTR wrote:I learnt to KL on a 2004 18m North Vegas, can't se how a CB could be so bad.

May just be the size if the kite, big kites are slower to loop so will always pose a problem
It doesn't in any way catch you.

Ask Rich :P

yomotha
Frequent Poster
Style: Whatever I feel like for the day
Gear: Core, Lift
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby yomotha » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:30 am

I used crossbows for kitelooping for years... quite fun too... mainly on my 9 and 7M though.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:34 am

yomotha wrote:I used crossbows for kitelooping for years... quite fun too... mainly on my 9 and 7M though.
Boo! :lol:

I think I might just stick to using them for transitions or low level, low power tricks.

... wonder how my Flite 17 will loop...

Return to “Kitesurfing”