Forum for kitesurfers
Jantrit
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is a bi-directional Alaia possible?

Postby Jantrit » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:35 pm

I picked up a Naish Alaia to mess around with and have ironically spent more time that board since it showed up than my TT. This has been my first experience with a surfboard and kiting and I have been loving it. The board is a lot more stable than I thought it would be. My issue is getting the turns. I just can't seem to make a turn happen with this board.

I finally gave up one session and tried just riding it backwards. Turns out that it works surprisingly well with the exception that the square tail acts like a big brake when you try to push it through a wave. Would and alaia with two rounded ends still work? Maybe push the center channel through the entire length of the board so you still get some help with channeling the water for stability?

dafish
Medium Poster
Local Beach: jervis bay nsw
Style: surf/ oldschool
Gear: xenon la luz
xenon Vidra
xenon Prisma
Brand Affiliation: small potato rep

Re: Is a bi-directional Alaia possible?

Postby dafish » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:39 pm

Glad you are having fun with it. As an Alaia rider myself I found the first couple of days a little tricky jibing, but persisted with it because I really loved how the board handled. Stick with it. You will get it eventually. Try in flatish water, it will make working on the transitions easier. I learned to nail my frontside carve transitions on flat water and now they are no brainers. Just keep with it....

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:34 am

To be fair its not a surfboard but a light wind flatwater and chop board isn't it?

any way

of course you can make a TT version.

Did it and let us know how it goes. It should be good. As you state run the channels right the way through.

dafish
Medium Poster
Local Beach: jervis bay nsw
Style: surf/ oldschool
Gear: xenon la luz
xenon Vidra
xenon Prisma
Brand Affiliation: small potato rep

Postby dafish » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:46 am

Actually Plummet, it is a surfboard. This is the board from which surfing began. Look at old photos of Hawaii in the late 1800's and you will see the Alaia.
It is tricky learning to jybe when there are no fins, but the more you learn to edge the board the easier it gets. They ride waves unreal.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:02 am

so yes you can make an alaia TT>..but why not stick with it. Once you can do a few different turns you'll be a lot better equipped as a kiter. Doing a bottom turn on that board is a bit tricky..lean in with confidence...

You can also just do a TT turn and ride it backwards for a few yard, then move your kite up a bit do a little hop and flip the board around. Once you get it you'll be surprised at how easy it is...bonus..it will make you a better kite flier...

We all fall, but these are very soft falls :-)

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:20 am

That is an excellent question and yes you can. It's call a skim board duh.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:35 am

Finless, strapless rockerless.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:32 pm

TheJoe wrote:That is an excellent question and yes you can. It's call a skim board duh.
LF Twinskim.
Not exactly an Alaia but an easy fun skim.
Attachments
Twinskim.jpg
Twinskim.jpg (13.35 KiB) Viewed 1932 times

Jantrit
Rare Poster

Postby Jantrit » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:15 am

I'll have to give the skim board a try. I've heard of folks using skim boards but haven't tried one myself. I've thought about grabbing one of the cheap ones from local store and give it a go just for grins. At $20 it would be worth it just for the lols. What I don't understand are the skim boards that are $200+ in the surf shops. What exactly are folks using these boards for? I've only ever seen them used by kids to throw in front of them as they jump on and ride for like 5 feet.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:55 am

Jantrit wrote:I'll have to give the skim board a try. I've heard of folks using skim boards but haven't tried one myself. I've thought about grabbing one of the cheap ones from local store and give it a go just for grins. At $20 it would be worth it just for the lols. What I don't understand are the skim boards that are $200+ in the surf shops. What exactly are folks using these boards for? I've only ever seen them used by kids to throw in front of them as they jump on and ride for like 5 feet.

Return to “Kitesurfing”