Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

That moment when ......

Forum for kitesurfers
bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: That moment when ......

Postby bnthere » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:48 pm

thats why you dont let your kite hang around 12 oclock. any advise you might have gotten about above your head (12 oclock) being a good, or safe or "neutral" place to put your kite, for any reason, is bad, and extremely outdated advise. (wasnt actually good advise back in the day, either)

if you cant save it, let go of bar and let it fall depowered. if you are on the beach or near downwind obstacles, definitely dont try to save it (unless you know you can, based on experience, which you dont have enough of yet). in that case, disable the kite onto the leash (aka, quick release) it will fall lightly with no power, you can easily reset and keep going after..

dont hesitate to disable the kite when that happens and you are around the beach, shallow water, or dw obstacles. that should have been thoroughly covered and practiced in you kiteboarding lessons.

as for techniques to stop the fall and try to save it: what others said. it is different every time, line tension is the key, sometimes you can, sometimes you can't, you will know from experience.

this is also an easy time to snag a line around your neck, harness, bar end, or other things, or develop a line tangle on the kite, so be aware.

[[ edit: wow, i need to start reading other peoples posts more often and not assuming they are full of sketchy advise, there are a ton of good responses in this thread, sorry for the repeat info]]

Jantrit
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Jantrit » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:15 am

Each situation will be different but in general if I see the kite dropping out of the air out of control, Hindenberg style, I reach for the quick release. I'd rather have my hand on the eject and be able to flag out the kite to hopefully keep from damaging myself, other beach goers, or my gear.

The more time you have with the kites the better you will be at recognizing how to avoid these situations before you end up in them.

Air_Pharaoh
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ras Sedr, Red Sea
Favorite Beaches: To be decided
Gear: F-One Bandit Kites
Mystic Harness

Postby Air_Pharaoh » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:00 am

I am new to the sport, but this usually happens to me when I am trying to Jump. I haven't landed any jumps so far. What happens is I start edging and then jump after I land I find my self downwind of my kite. It takes about 1 to 2 seconds and the kite starts falling into the powerzone infront of me and then shit hits the fan. :D

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:34 am

When you jump make sure you really angle that board up wind. Jam that back foot in so you get more vertical pop. I'm assuming you aren't going too big so I won't go into looping and multiple redirections to keep yourself from flying under the kite. What I will say is redirect back across the window more agressively before you hit the water so the kite has forward speed. As you land facing downwind then engage the rail hard to really get that kite to move forward in the window.

But to keep it simple get more pop and redirect sooner and harder. Don't leave the kite hovering near 12 and you land as you will indeed fly under it. Don't be put off I still manage to do what you are doing now and then if I have a brain lapse.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:51 pm

weren't you just asking about how to ride like last week? you gotta move the kite forward harder as/slightly before landing.

Air_Pharaoh
Rare Poster
Mystic Harness

Postby Air_Pharaoh » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:24 am

bnthere wrote:weren't you just asking about how to ride like last week? you gotta move the kite forward harder as/slightly before landing.

yes about 2 weeks ago I did. :D I finally got up and started riding upwind, last week. I tried to jump last weekend and thats when the kite started to lose tension and fall into the powerzone.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:54 pm

Good post.

I would think the reaction may depend upon what the kite is doing.
If its heading nose down I would have one hand near the eject - game over.
If its back stalling I usually get the bar out really far in preparation for the shit.

Then again this type of wind suggests the range might be too wide to kite in the first place?
:cheers:

FarQueLot
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone,Slingshot,my own

Postby FarQueLot » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:09 am

Some good advice here on what to do,

here's mine

Don't use the kite to jump, use wave or swell as ramps and practice speed control and as you get better start using your kite more. If you send the kite you will get a violent yank of the water- this makes it a lot harder to get it back in front of you for landing.
The best way to land a jump is to have the kite back in front of you the same position as when lining up for the jump.
The key to good jumping is the carve and pop and timing this with the kite will see you landing in control.
Generally you land as you take off, if you get some float from the kite you really have to redirect the kite to get a controlled landing, again timing is key. At the top of your jump you should be pulling on your front hand(the direction you are travelling or want to travel), you may even have to yank on the bar for the last bit as when you go up you will swing down wind and under your kite and your weight acts as a pendulum and causes the issues you have described.
I try to do a grab with the rear hand or at least release my rear hand from the bar at the start of a jump and this will cause the kite to redirect automatically with out to much conscious effort, and may need a bit more front hand in the decent.
Using your back arm as a stabiliser will make your landing and riding easier and also give you better balance.
Also spot you landing, look where you want to go and the kite will tend to get you there.
The flip side is don't look where you don't want to go, most of this sport is about your head, inside it and what you do with it.
luv
F

Air_Pharaoh
Rare Poster
Mystic Harness

Postby Air_Pharaoh » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:45 am

Yea the problem is I lose site and control of the kite while jumping. It like a lapse in the mind that Im attached to a kite. I am concentrating on edging hard and bringing the kite to 12 and waiting for the pull, that when I achieve the lift, I just try to enjoy the ride and forget about the kite completely.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:49 am

If your trying to jump and upon landing the kite falls out of the sky. That means you haven't redirected the kite in front of you. Pull hard on the front hand when coming into land.

Return to “Kitesurfing”