Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Building a single center line flag bar using parts I have

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Building a single center line flag bar using parts I hav

Postby Laughingman » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:23 am

Hey peeps, thanks for all your support.
ReThink, no worries and yes I do see the irony

So here is the finished product. I encourage everyone to try this, it really quantifies the value of a bar. I had an old one kicking around with good lines, for the rings, pull/pull, amsteel line and stopper ball it cost me roughly $50 to make it useful again. I used a guitar string to splice the loops in the am steel and the lines.
Attachments
photo6.JPG
photo6.JPG (157.85 KiB) Viewed 817 times
photo7.JPG
photo7.JPG (146.31 KiB) Viewed 817 times

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:50 pm

Good job but watch your stopper ball I made a version like this and the center line wore straight through the ball because the pressure is at an angle instead of straight on like ozone does it.

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:11 pm

airush depower strap,eclipse bar,ocean rodeo CL?thumps up man and i was thinkin that im the only one who do patents with old bars and stuff that i m collecting from destroyed and unwanted bars.well guess what i made money from them also now.keep going its simple logic to fix them but always use stuff that is lookin in good shape !!!
Last edited by nikalaitzian on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:37 pm

edt wrote:Good job but watch your stopper ball I made a version like this and the center line wore straight through the ball because the pressure is at an angle instead of straight on like ozone does it.

Can you get a better close up of that stopper ball. It looks like it's carrying all the load of the one front line!? they are usually not terribly strong (nylon if you used the west marine variety) other bar setups I've seen usually use a second stainless steel ring. you lines are rated between 600 and 800 lbs, I'm concerned the stopper is not near that.

Where'd you get the small SS ring, I've had problems finding these and am currently working on a similar project converting 4 line bar into 5
Last edited by Johnny Rotten on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby bnthere » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:36 pm

nicely done. what is it running through at the harness loop / quick release? can you show.

that is a good mod, are you sure the orange stopper is strong enough, that is now a load bearing point.

(ha, i wish i read the last few comments before posting mine. thats the stuff i was getting at)

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:48 pm

Peter-Lynn had a similar arrangement 7 years ago ; just
replace the stopper ball with another SS-ring.

Never had a problem with that PL bar ; always worked perfect ,so should yours !

Bille

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby bnthere » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:41 pm

you can't replace the stopper ball with a ring. you need to look more closely at what this is.

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Johnny Rotten » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:09 am

bnthere wrote:you can't replace the stopper ball with a ring. you need to look more closely at what this is.
Replace the stopper with a ring to mate with the existing ring, just make sure it's equivalently sized. then have the stopper on a knot just a hair below that to keep it from going through the bar when you flag.

this might already be done, I can't see the pic well enough.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:06 pm

edt wrote:Good job but watch your stopper ball I made a version like this and the center line wore straight through the ball because the pressure is at an angle instead of straight on like ozone does it.
The stopper ball is actually a ozone replacement. We used the bar yesterday for 4 hours or so and so far there is no sign of wear but I will definitely keep an eye on it, thanks for the heads up

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:17 pm

Hey Bille, the stopper ball is used to hold the center line, but when you flag it lets the bar go all the way up the line to the kite unless you add another stopper for example 6m up.
So if i replaced it with a ring the bar would get stuck on that and only flag the distance to the ring, I would call that a mini fifth setup, this setup is 100% one center line flag, kills the kite completely.
The ball has a 2mm hole on one side and a 8mm hole on the other this allows me to use a double larks head that will not slide through the ball but it will allow the connection to slide through the bar and the chickenloop.

Return to “Kitesurfing”