Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Switch Nitro II review

Postby jespin4845 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:20 am

i had the 14m, great kite, but sold it cause i wasn't using it much compared to my 12m switchblade, my question is for the 10m, can you kite loop with it on 20m lines? i just like to boost big, ride a wave in between jumps and try to kite loop, havent figured it out yet...

felixp
Frequent Poster
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: Switch, Firewire
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Switch Nitro II reiew

Postby felixp » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:38 am

Not an issue kite looping the 10m Nitro2
Really efficient kite for boosting and looping.
Felix.

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9

Postby flybykite » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:44 am

felixp wrote:
flybykite wrote:I bought the 12m Nitro 2 when it first came out and agree with the construction being awesome. I sold it after about 5 sessions because it pulled too hard. I weigh 155 and in 18 knots I could fly upwind but after a jump or any trick where I needed to land downwind, the kite would not stop pulling to allow me to regain my edge. Many times I needed to stick my ass in the water to stop the downwind pull. The wind range is very narrow for these kites in my opinion and I love to fly powered but this one was too much for me. I since bought 2 new Ozone Edges 9 & 11m and couldn't be happier. A much better kite all round in performance but not built like the nitro 2. Anyhow I don't crash often so I'm sure the build quality of Ozone will do just fine.

Great honest reviews on here.
However at around 155 pounds in 18 knots I personally would not be riding a 12m nitro2 (twin tip)
The kite has solid power.
I would have been on a 10 m kite with out any question. Lot more efficiency would have come out of it this way. (twin tip)

Food for thought I have 230 pound riders on 12m nitros riding waves in 15 knots on a surfboard at my local spot.

Every one has different tastes but it does help when you are matched up with the right size canopy for your conditions and size.

Enjoy and best winds.
I can appreciate your interests in backing up the kite Felix. No doubt, its a great kite. When I first looked into getting the kite I actually spoke with you and informed you of my riding style and that I rode Rebels and I wanted to replace my 12m. You gave me the hands down recommendation on the 12m Nitro 2 and said it had many of the same characteristics (maybe you said specs) of the Rebel. I found that to be very far from what I expected. I did try it in lighter winds as well. About 12 knots one morning. I still had much of the same problem. Perhaps I just dont weigh enough and I couldnt keep a strong edge when sending it for big air. It seemed to want to pull me off my edge well before I was ready. Got some nice airs off of kickers and waves though.
You say people use this kite to surf waves? Really? I found it impossible to ride waves with a mostly side on wind. Easy to outrun the wave though :D
I still have the original 16m Nitro 1 that I still love and can ride up to 20 knots, however the nitro 2 has way better drift, bar pressure, and relaunch.
I dont mean to bash the Nitro 2 at all. My honest feedback is simply to inform future buyers the kind of ride they can expect. It just didnt work for me and my hooligan riding style. Only lost $100 on the resale so no biggie. I was more disapointed with your recommendation but again that probably wasnt your fault also.
Cheers mate, see you on the water.

felixp
Frequent Poster
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: Switch, Firewire

Postby felixp » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:21 am

No problem.
Just not a great match.
Keep your eyes peeled for when the 3rd version comes out might be right up your alley.
What you are feeling is the centerline pull that you are not use too.. I'm sure of it.
Yes big Boys love the kite for waves over here.
They need that juice.
Thanks for your feed back.
Felix

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:01 pm

I am the same weight 155 and I had very similar experience with 14m Vapor I, and the twin tip. I would not go in 12 miles and when it got to 16 miles it would pull me down wind. But when I tried it in 12 miles with a large surf board I was able to go upwind normally and challenge 17m Zephyr's and 19m Speeds. So it looks like I could use Nitro 12m for the same purpose and piss off those guys who spend fortunes on those monsters even more which is priceless :lol:

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:30 pm

flybykite wrote: I did try it in lighter winds as well. About 12 knots one morning. I still had much of the same problem. Perhaps I just dont weigh enough and I couldnt keep a strong edge when sending it for big air.
I had similar problems with the element 1. It didnt have that sudden punch near the apex that kites that are designed for boosting have. It seemed to have a consistent pull that built up gradually when you send it, making holding an edge harder - although when you get your timing right it will still boost. I guess it is about tradeoffs at the end of the day,, Element 1 is a great all round kite but with a wave riding bias. From what I have seen there is a big trade off between boosting kites and wave riding kites with consistent pull and drift. Really depends what you are looking for really, you have a kite that boosts big you have to be careful with losing control of it since it will also boost you if you mess up a trick :wink:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:32 pm

marlboroughman wrote:I am the same weight 155 and I had very similar experience with 14m Vapor I, and the twin tip. I would not go in 12 miles and when it got to 16 miles it would pull me down wind. But when I tried it in 12 miles with a large surf board I was able to go upwind normally and challenge 17m Zephyr's and 19m Speeds. So it looks like I could use Nitro 12m for the same purpose and piss off those guys who spend fortunes on those monsters even more which is priceless :lol:
One of my testes weighs 155lbs. I use the extra 9m of canopy to move the other one.

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:00 am

I bought the 8m v2, very well built kite - it has that feeling when picking it up on the beach, that its solid.
A very fast kite once you get goin, after all the 8 is meant for top end. Jumps as well as most kite with that Strut profile...
Looping is average when thrown into a megaloop at the top of a jump, likes to be steered around - feels like the bridles absorb too much bar input, Downloops great and a fun little kite...would be intetesting on flatwater speed runs.

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:21 am

Kite2Heaven wrote: Looping is average when thrown into a megaloop at the top of a jump, likes to be steered around - feels like the bridles absorb too much bar input, Downloops great and a fun little kite...would be intetesting on flatwater speed runs.
how long are your lines? 20 or 23?

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:48 am

I use 20m lines and 21 inch bar - Im not talking bout over your head heli style loops either..

Return to “Kitesurfing”