All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Jumping over a whale
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:05 pm 
Medium Poster

the whale Len10 jumped over looked stranded. Shallow water, just sitting there, it was either dead or stranded. Sad....
We have loads of migrating whales coming twice a year and the numbers are increasing thank goodness. But a respectful distance should always be observed. Get to close to a mother and her calf and watch and see how instantly aggressive they can be if they feel their calf is in any danger.
There are other things to jump over.....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:06 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Rode out once way to far by myself in exmouth WA ( very isolated ) and rode up to a large humpback whale, the sheer size had my sphincter water tight, winds started to ease and drop...oh boy mad dash a k or so in, juts made it. Dumb dumb dumb,, but the whale was awesome. Jump it, hell no!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:46 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

... not kiting and not a whale but a pair of dugongs while windsurfing.

Flying along doing mach 9 and sailing into a sunset, couldn't really see much. Hit a wave and did a jump, 2m or so. Doing nose landings on my pole board back then, as I look down at the peak of the jump to spot my landing, I see 2 dugongs right below me in my landing spot so I immediately flung the board and rig away from me and splash landed into the water. Gear was the other side of the dugongs and I really wasn't sure what to do then, swim for it, and would they get angry, dunno. They eventually swam away and I grabbed my gear thanking my lucky stars I didn't land on them. :roll:

Cheers,

Robbie :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:28 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I'm with Toby on this. While some think it is pretty sick to jump a whale..what if everyone does that? When there is a pod of whales around sometimes they have baby there...why would you want to disturb that..they have enough shit to deal with from tourists and boats and sharks.....and like mentioned earlier there is a fine for going too close...simply because people are taking it too far.

I have been fortunate to ride with a pod. Rode by them, but did not go too close...though they came our way. It was an awe inspiring sight when they were jumping and playing in the water...and they are fucking huge.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:28 am 
Medium Poster

Tiago1973 wrote:
i would do it if i had the whales and the balls

i miss them both

:lol: :lol: :lol: :jump: :jump: :jump: :lol: :lol: :lol: :jump: :jump: :jump:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:23 am 
Rare Poster

Van Hunk wrote:
In search of singularity (I suppose), I was wondering whether there is anyone in this forum that has jumped over a whale?

Whilst I have no video evidence to prove it, I managed to do it 6 times on Saturday. (A friendly pod of whales just hung out in the bay..)

It was mind blowing and terrifying and absolutely the best kiting experience of my 10 years on the water.

Has this been done by anyone else?

whales? ........go kitesurfing............or girls......

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:23 pm 
Medium Poster

Jumped over whales too many times to count, but when you live in a part of the country with the highest rates of obecity, they can litter the beach on a hot day...

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2