Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kitesurfing? Is it as awesome as it looks?

Forum for kitesurfers
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Kitesurfing? Is it as awesome as it looks?

Postby Toby » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:13 am

In 2000 I watched a video of Robby Naish kiting and jumping...hooked since then!

Now you can watch my videos and get hooked for life ;-)

http://www.airstyle.tv/watch-the-trailers/

BrianMaiden
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho, Kingfisher, Fuerte, Tarifa, Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Gwithian
Style: Strapless
Gear: Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BrianMaiden » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:22 am

ben newman wrote:Kitesurfing will ruin your relationship with the wife, with the family and with your non kiting friends.
You will find yourself dropping anything and everything when the wind blows.

this is so true.... I think about this a lot...

I've missed so many birthdays, ruined so many relationships and turned down a lot of lucrative work because my pursuit of my passion has always come first. I am not married and i don't have kids (yet...) whilst most of my friends have gone down that route. I'm genuinely pleased for them but all i ever hear is how i'm going to regret not having a family or getting married... but then then i think the people who tell me this... they really don't have a passion like i do, they genuinely don't get it. Maybe their more conventional path is equally rewarding (I really hope it is) but surfing, windsurfing and then kiting have been the most consistantly positive force in my life for 26 years. But more than the feeling i get it has taught me to be humble and patient. It has taken me around the world and broadened my horizons. It has kept me fit. And i have seen the world from places relatively so few people ever will.

So few people you meet REALLY have a passion in life. If you have a passion it is a crime NOT to throw yourself in 100%

BrianMaiden
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho, Kingfisher, Fuerte, Tarifa, Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Gwithian
Style: Strapless
Gear: Duotone

Postby BrianMaiden » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:26 am

Bille wrote:I bin flying Hang gliders since 1977, and para gliders since 1990
Really? .... you never mentioned it...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:20 am

True Brian!
And those people telling you miss something in life not having a family are also the ones telling you that you do everything right and are jealous of your life ;-)

speedyRider
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby speedyRider » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:59 am

I dont think family and kiting are not compatible.

If they are not then you should maybe start searching for the right one ;)

Having a family and in a few years kiting with your kids can be the most rewarding thing, ask dimitri, he is living the dream and has a nice family that supports his passion. You are not going to kill waves or rip freestyle tricks forever anyway. I have friends with the same opinion, they are 30 and think im not ever going to have children cause i dont want to stop kiting. Why should you?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:55 am

Yes, few can combine it. Few.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:14 am

one thing that i like that Jake Burton said "Move to the greatest location in the world to do what u love" something along those lines. Then you have time to do everything.

Kiting rules for so many reasons.

Wiski23
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pt. Shred
Style: Wake
Gear: Mutiny c kites & slingshot board

Postby Wiski23 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:09 pm

I was skeptical about kiting as I was a wakeboarder & for some reason "looking from afar it looked like too much hard work"? All these lines etc & this kite. Thinking it looks average,not keen. Boy was i wrong.. My mate who owns a wake/kite shop here in Auckland finally talked me in to giving it a go this summer as I sold my boat. I bought a set up & had my 3 lessons, and just learning to fly this kite was such a thrill. Then came the DO IT YOUR SELF PART :o Seems everything I learnt/was taught went out the window & I found my self walking this kite out to sea in pumping wind on my own.. Well after about 7 hairy, extremely frustrating days I finally had the confidence & skills to kite comfortable both ways. My mates words of "you'll have kitemeres but ride it out" stuck with me,which was lucky because I could have easily given it away. Now I don't think about wakeboarding at all. This sport has grabbed me big time! My mate was right, "it'll change you" he said. You'll be driving along looking at the tips of trees for wind, he was sooo right.
Every kiter I've met male & female are fully supportive & a great community. Unfortunately a lot of douche bags wakeboard :roll:

Anyway to cut along story short & not to bore you,I've been riding since February, been out about 30 times. Can comfortable ride both ways, upwind (ish) Get good air with some boned out steezy tail grabs, or stalefishes. Have been out fully overpowered & loving it. & my wife & 2 girls fully support my sport as all good relationships are built on individual needs :thumb:

Chur bro!

Air_Pharaoh
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ras Sedr, Red Sea
Favorite Beaches: To be decided
Gear: F-One Bandit Kites
Mystic Harness

Postby Air_Pharaoh » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:31 pm

It's only been 2 months for me. But the sport has changed my life. Met a ton of cool new people. Great community. Excellent workout. You just can't get enough.

You become a slave to the wind. :D

dandaka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kaliningrad, Russia
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Philippines / Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: unhooked / newschool / wakestyle
Gear: North Vegas 12m² 2012
North Vegas 9m² 2010
North Vegas 7m² 2010
North Team Series 131cm 2011
Mystic Warrior III Len10 2012

Postby dandaka » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:10 pm

brettbrew, It is MORE awesome.

With kiteboarding you can have as much adrenaline, as you want. I really like this part. If you tired or lazy, you can just chill riding. If you feel confident, you can have any amount of adrenaline you need.

There are a lot of things and tricks in kiteboarding, that will make your heart pumping:
— lots of different tricks and variations and add-ons and combos, so you never finish learning
— you can go faster into every trick
— you can jump higher
— you can go for wave riding, and when you feel waves power, that you control...
— you can ride different boards like wake/boots, directional/surf, skimboard, wakeskate

Bille, big respect :thumb: :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”