Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Who is responsible for kite when landing?

Forum for kitesurfers
Maito
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dreverna, Lithuania
Favorite Beaches: Prasonisi, Rhode
Style: Tricks
Gear: Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Who is responsible for kite when landing?

Postby Maito » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:54 pm

Hello,
I would like to ask all kite surfers opinion regarding this situation.

This all happen in Fuerteventure, wind speed was around 25-30knt.

Me and my friend Richard were standing on the beach with our kites in the sky. We were just finished kite surfing. There were no one around to help us land our kites. So I asked my friend to land my kite. He agrees and I slowly pass the kite near to him. He takes the kite and puts it down in landing position. I unhook the bar and suddenly gust of wind lifts up my kite (I'm still holding on the chicken loop) and my kite starts making loops around Richard kite, while dragging me through the beach(I was still holding on chicken loop, because wind was offshore). My kite brakes three lines and lands.

In my opinion the person who lands the kite must make sure, that the kite would no start to rise. And he is fully responsible for the kite until the owner comes and takes his kite.

For example if I land the kite on the beach and somebody(another kite surfer without kite) took the kite, and put it on the ground in landing position. I unhook and at the same moment kite starts rising and injure someone then the fault would go to the person who landed the kite wrong!? Because I can't be responsible for the kite since I do not have control of it.

I think that our situation is more or less the same.

No my question is whose fault it was and who must pay for new lines.

Thank you

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Who is responsible for kite when landing?

Postby edt » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:03 pm

don't try to blame the kite lander, stuff like this happens and trying to fix blame solves nothing. Obviously he could have been more skilled at landing but on the other hand you could flagged out the kite when you saw it get picked up instead of going for a bull ride. If he wants to help pay for the lines fine, if he doesn't you should learn how to splice, you can fix the lines for free. If you force richard to pay for the lines, is he ever going to land your kite again? Then you better learn how to self land in 30 knots too.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:08 pm

you cannot blame anyone else than you.
He just wanted to HELP you.
You should have give him order what to do with the kite, if you want to be safe.

For now, just be lucky you already unhooked from the bar, and nothing happened to your health.
Many don't do it, and it is an important info I explain on my Airstyle DVD. Exactly because of that!

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:42 pm

Your gear = your responsibility
Disconnect dd and keep hand on leash for landing, throw bar and pull leash if problems!

Maito
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dreverna, Lithuania
Favorite Beaches: Prasonisi, Rhode
Style: Tricks
Gear: Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha

Postby Maito » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:55 pm

Thank you all for your answers, but I would like to ask whose fault is in this situation:

For example if I land the kite on the beach and somebody(another kite surfer without kite) took the kite, and put it on the ground in landing position. I unhook and at the same moment kite starts rising and injure someone.

These situations are pretty similar and if we would go to judge I don't think that he would say your gear - your fault.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:35 pm

If you had let go of the chicken loop would your kite have flagged out on the leash and therefore not wrapped round Richard's kite lines and put him in danger?
Then also your lines would probably not have been broken?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:36 pm

Maito wrote:Thank you all for your answers, but I would like to ask whose fault is in this situation:

For example if I land the kite on the beach and somebody(another kite surfer without kite) took the kite, and put it on the ground in landing position. I unhook and at the same moment kite starts rising and injure someone.

These situations are pretty similar and if we would go to judge I don't think that he would say your gear - your fault.
it is your kite, you are ultimately responsible in every situation, the kite lander is only doing you a favor... suppose he refused the following day and you were hit by a gust and killed, is it now his fault that you were a dumbass the last time he landed your kite and tried to make him pay for damages?

Why don't you launch and land yourself from now on so you learn to take responsibility for yourself, see how much you like it then.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:37 pm

still your fault.

kiteboading is not a team sport, assisted launching and landing is not necessary, and should not be considered the normal or only way to handle gear.

you are responsible for your own gear, all the time.

if a person catches your kite for you and puts it down, you should still be prepared to deal with the kite as you approach it, until you have personally secured it, at which point you are still responsible for it while it sits on the beach.

it is always your responsibility. sorry buddy.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:40 pm

Maito wrote:Thank you all for your answers, but I would like to ask whose fault is in this situation:

If you have made up your mind then why ask?
I think most people will assign most of the responsibility to the pilot. It is a bit hard to say since we were not there...but how long between him landing your kite and the gust of wind picking it up?
Was he flying his kite while landing yours? It will be limited what he can do to secure your kite then...

Is he asking you to buy new lines for him? Why not offer to pay half?

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:50 pm

Most people would call it an accident, or a very close near miss! But seeing as you are intent on determining blame by analysing the event:

You un clipped your leash before your kite was secure 100% YOUR FAULT!! sounds like you could have killed someone as well, think before you act!!

In addition it sounds like you weren't paying attention.

Return to “Kitesurfing”