2010 OR Mako King
2007 Best TT 144 X 44
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: A Harness that Doesn't push up

Postby bigjohn » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:39 pm

I remember those days as a beginner.

Have a look at the Ocean Rodeo Session 2. It comes with detachable leg straps that are very adjustable and comfortable. You can adjust the lengths to wear the waist harness down low (almost like a seat harness) or up high as a waist harness.

Then as you get better kite skills you can take them off.

jb74
Rare Poster

Postby jb74 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:19 pm

I'm also a try beginner.....during the kite- course the harness gave me headaches. Then I bought my own gear, among them a Mystic Warrior 2012. I use an impact vest 'under' the harness and have no problem. It would worth to give a try.

Rotule
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Favorite Beaches: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Gear: Core Section 4M, Section 2 6M. GTS 3 9M
Moses Onda 71 HL

Postby Rotule » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:08 am

Certeza wrote:Not sure that I really trust a carbon fiber bar as much as a steel bar, but that is a different discussion.
sory for this out of discussion but again,

why would you need something stronger than this carbon piece, if that piece is olded by two straps (seriously the weekest link is the straps not the bar :wink: a carbon piece this thick can take a shit load of tension and "flambing" (sorry not sure with my english on this one))

I agree with you that the whole setup still look a little bit prototype, but he's doing an awesome job and i'm sure he'll figure it out soon ;)

back to the topics, I agree that using an impact vest under the harness can help with the whole comfort, but if it does is your harness too big for your size? (its the case for me, i lost a few pounds and i can't use my harness without my impact vest anymore it goes up just like you explain and its very incomfortable)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:38 am

... how do you stop waist harnesses riding up when you're boosting etc? The kite HAS to go above your head, and it goes up with a lot of force...!

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:57 am

Kamikuza wrote:... how do you stop waist harnesses riding up when you're boosting etc? The kite HAS to go above your head, and it goes up with a lot of force...!

Improve you stance, lean back :thumb: the bar and lines shouldn't be right in front of your face!!

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:04 pm

Mystic harnesses if the right size do not come up, I jump high with alot of power in my kite and mine never comes up, must use secondary strap to hold spreader bar down and make sure your harness is not too big. Seems like harness sizes are getting bigger I use to use a medium I wear 32 inch shorts and now can wear a small or medium depends on how much support you like. Bet your harness is too big thats why it comes up? :thumb:

Rando1994
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tampa bay
Favorite Beaches: East beach at fort desoto
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone zephyr, ocean rodeo rise, mako king

Postby Rando1994 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:35 pm

Dakine Nitrous. All day comfort.

Certeza
Rare Poster
Style: Wakestyle Freestyle

Postby Certeza » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:24 pm

Rotule wrote: why would you need something stronger than this carbon piece, if that piece is olded by two straps (seriously the weekest link is the straps not the bar :wink: a carbon piece this thick can take a shit load of tension and "flambing" (sorry not sure with my english on this one))

I agree with you that the whole setup still look a little bit prototype, but he's doing an awesome job and i'm sure he'll figure it out soon ;)
Sorry that I started a tangent, but since this particular tangent is a direct consideration of this thread, I'll discuss this carbon fiber thing a bit further. It is an amazing material! Very strong for it's weight. Tensile strength is incredible. But we scientists refer to CF as "strong" but not "tough". In simple terms, it can handle incredible amounts of force when bending or stretching, but not nearly as much when exposed to compression or impact shock.

This concept is widely known and very easily demonstrated. Take a piece of CF (like the referenced spreader bar for example) and try to bend it. As you suggest, it will be crazy strong. You will barely be able to bend it. But.... take out a sharp heavy object and give it a smack. CF cracks rather easily under sharp impact. This is because as soon as the epoxy (which is rather brittle) gets compromised, each fiber must act as an individual directional fiber. When glued into a bundle, the fibers are incredibly strong, but individually, the fibers aren't very strong at all.

This is where the next big problem for a CF spreader bar comes in. Steel is both strong and tough. It can handle high force and high energy. A fairly significant amount of deformation is acceptable and won't compromise the integrity of the bar. And because it can deform, it usually doesn't simply crack and shear off. IOW, a small dent from being tossed against a sharp rock, or taking a nice hard hit from the rail of a TT board, isn't a big deal. Conversely, a single crack in a CF bar (even one that might not be apparent except under very close inspection) can result in catastrophic failure, and failure usually is catastrophic.

This catastrophic failure characteristic of CF is widely acknowledged in other sports like cycling. Some road cyclists use it for its light weight, and try to handle it with kid gloves. OTOH, it is generally considered a poor choice for mountain biking. Any decent crash or gouge and the whole frame is toast.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:37 pm

Rando1994 wrote:Dakine Nitrous. All day comfort.
Had 3 pairs in 3 years, only ever get one season out of them before the straps come apart :x Good harness. Apart from the durability :thumb:

Rando1994
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tampa bay
Favorite Beaches: East beach at fort desoto
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone zephyr, ocean rodeo rise, mako king

Postby Rando1994 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:41 pm

True, they do tend to separate. I had a seat strap tear loose while I was in the air. As it is one of the three on each side, it was not fatal. Nonetheless, it stopped my session because I didn't want to keep riding missing one of the anchors for the spreader bar.

But, I took it to a shoe repair guy and he put in back in place and stitched the heck out it. 3 bucks and it's been holding for another year so far...

Return to “Kitesurfing”