Personality Alteration while kiting

Forum for kitesurfers
NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Personality Alteration while kiting

Postby NYKiter » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:11 pm

Does this happen to anyone kiting...apparently I go from mild-mannered intellectual to a full on slobbering angry crazy man. Akin to this image...

I'm not exactly proud of this behavior change because I appear to be hyper-focused and my situation awareness tends to decrease...in other words I tend to become rather reckless and it bothers me somewhat...anyone relate to this?

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Personality Alteration while kiting

Postby JGTR » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:40 pm

Not while kiting but I get road rage the closer I get to the beach in my car :lol: Start of all Driving Miss Daisy and end up Fast & Furious :lol:

Once I'm out there I'm pretty chilled

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:01 pm

does talking to yourself in foreign languages count?
not that anyone would do that...

consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby consumer » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:53 pm

Yes. And if you don't think this applies to you try going kiting with your significant other, who invariably is on a completely different time scale when it comes to going kiting. Regardless the amount of time we have, I always feel like I am on a time crunch to get as much riding in as possible.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby pj sofine » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:12 pm

I get mad, yell and scream all at myself for being a chickenshit! I plan these great moves I'm going to practice and find myself mowing the lawn and waiting for the "right moment"Last week I was out in 30-35 on my 8 and just happened to be in the right "mood" Must have done 100 kiteloops,crashed half of them.Waited for the strongest gusts and just went for it.Crashed many times ,deflated kite once from impact,ripped my footstrap off.Smashed my face into bar and knees and had two huge bruises on insde of thighs( still haven't figured those out) Was hoping people on beach couldn't hear me! Must have done something right,got many compliments and handshakes when I finally came in. Best session I can remember. Mellowed right out afterwards :baby:

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:34 pm

JGTR wrote:Not while kiting but I get road rage the closer I get to the beach in my car :lol: Start of all Driving Miss Daisy and end up Fast & Furious :lol:

Once I'm out there I'm pretty chilled
actually any kiter behavior is pretty much the same as the car drivers one. if there is a suburban secluded area with almost no traffic you are goodness itself.

if there is rush hour and lot of "slow" drivers around there will be anger for sure. i mean how annoying are the so called freestyle kiters that ride towards you while you crossing the shallow area on foot with the wave board or the race board because you can not ride it through with your bigger fins?
you even lower your kite for him to pass you upwind but this boardshorted freestyle ballerina decide to make u-turn 5 meters from you and sail away! and that is just for the start!
so i'm not lowering my kite any more for those jerks. no more mr polite!

but yelling and screaming are useless. nobody hear your scream in the sea noise anyway. but swearing and calling names are making me feel muuuuch muuuuch better

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:02 am

I think its very similar to road rage...I get road rage going to the launch and then once I'm on the water it revs up slowly and in half an hour I'm rather oblivious to anyone or anything...I apologize to my buddies for boxing them in and they look at me like I'm crazy saying it wasnt anything...oh well...as long as Im not placing anyone in danger I'll Taz on... :shitinbrain:

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:06 am

... oh boy yes!

When someone makes a mistake, all cool, pick yourself up, dust off the sand and have a laugh about it but then when you get some douche who is clearly a bully and does dumb things in an inappropriate spot that will surely end badly, I become a different person indeed.

My son being ever respectful was waiting for a guy having a chat to his girlfriend with his kite parked at 12 o'clock right in the landing zone, he was hanging onto his kite in a gusty 20 to 25 knots with me waiting to catch the kite, he was just on the edge of control.

A third person (douche) who then came racing in right through the 2 kites nearly taking the 2 kites out and with no room for error and a wooden fence downwind, there would have been carnage. I glared at the guy but said nothing, waiting for my sons kite to land him.

But then the douche mouthed off at me in a foreign lanuguage so I saw red, f this , i'm going to front this d!ckhead and let him know I didn't approve of his dangerous move. I landed my sons kite and stomped off toward the guy who had a bunch of his mates around him. I barked at him, " do you understand english"? Even at that moment he had a chance to calm me down quickly but his response enraged me further, one sorry would have done it.

As the arguement continued with alot of f's and c's used by me (I'm sure he understood them well enough), all his mates standing around him realized he made a bad move and left him!! Pussies, 6 of them and only one of me (I supose it helps being 6'4" and 120 kg). He was all brave with 6 mates around him and I was moments away from jumping him when he turned around to see he was alone. Sorry sory sorry all of a sudden. I told him if he did anything like that again I wouldn't ask him if he understands english, it will be my fist asking him!! If you would get to know me, that is so not me to get physical!! Were adults after all, we should be using our words, not fists! Damn did he get me angry! :angryfire:

Anger like that isn't good for you and definetly not my thing at all, I'm usually a big teddy bear! But sometimes it can happen hey!

cheers,

Robbie 8)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:24 am

Don't know if I'd like to see you angry robbie, or indeed be the one who made you angry!

But then again I reckon I could out run ya, so I might be a chance...lol,

It doesn't really get crowded enough where we kite, but I have had a few incidents. My brother and I had an interesting upbringing, and spent a lot of our youth and early twenties hitting first talking later.

That alone was enough to to teach me to always stay calm when kiting and especially on the road. It also taught me nothing good comes from violence and also you are one punch away from hitting someone who can really mess you up...lol

But this experience in my youth has somehow given me the ability to stay calm when others are losing their heads,,,have stopped a number of potential bust ups at crowded spots.

That being said...if my son was put in danger ( he only 5 at the moment wont start kiting until he is 6....ha ha) my reckless behaviour (and I know Robbies son so it makes me all that a bit more angry reading it), I would see red. If the guy was being a guy when I approached him I am certain ( unfortunately) I would give him a large dentist bill with my head, knees and elbows....tip don't use your hands fingers and wrists break.

But yes it can bring to worst out in us....only human after all.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:40 am

I'm pretty chilled on the water. I'm more in a zen zone doing what I enjoy.

My personality change is off the water when I haven't had a session for a while. Then I become a grumpy wind junky needing a fix. I get particularly pissed off if there's glorious wind and I can't utilise it because of other commitments.

Return to “Kitesurfing”