Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Slufter NL, world
Gear: OR
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Personality Alteration while kiting

Postby El Rudo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:52 am

not so much a personality change but an age shift. While suiting up I'm almost too stiff and I don't like how my wetsuit pushes up waist skin. Once that's hidden inside my harness and I'm out on the water I turn in to a happy 25yrs young idiot yelling and acting stupid.
Fortunately most guys (all of them younger than me) at the home spot play along, and sometimes this feeling lasts up until the next session.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:58 pm

Twice in a week last month, I had people freak out at me for getting too close to them. Which puzzled me a lot cos I was miles away, especially compared to how close they like to buzz other water users or try to do unhooked tricks right on the shore... and as one guy was waving and mouthing off at me, he hit the shore and went head over heels.

The only people I get annoyed at are fucking jet-skiiers and dickheads in boats who come right into the shore (illegal) to have a gawp.

balugh
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton, Brancaster, and other beaches in Norfolk
Favorite Beaches: ...I need to travel more...:-(
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15M
North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com

Postby balugh » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:53 pm

plummet wrote:I'm pretty chilled on the water. I'm more in a zen zone doing what I enjoy.

My personality change is off the water when I haven't had a session for a while. Then I become a grumpy wind junky needing a fix. I get particularly pissed off if there's glorious wind and I can't utilise it because of other commitments.
Definitely my experience. I get very chilled kiting...but increasingly uptight the longer I am away from it. As I work in London during the week...I'm spitting nails when Friday comes...

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Don Monnot » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:08 pm

I'm also very mellow while kiting. Even when our local bozo jumps coming at me just upwind of me (and crash lands right in front of me) it doesn't bother me enough to even mutter to myself. Bad behavior on the beach barely ruffles my feathers. A slow driver ahead of me while I'm on my way to go kiting, though, will surely cause some road rage. The only speeding tickets I've gotten in the past many years have been on my way to go kiting (or previously to go windsurfing). I've never gotten a ticket on my way back home from kiting, even if I'm very late and gonna catch hell from the wife.

Don

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:23 am

Westozzy wrote:Don't know if I'd like to see you angry robbie, or indeed be the one who made you angry!

But then again I reckon I could out run ya, so I might be a chance...lol,

It doesn't really get crowded enough where we kite, but I have had a few incidents. My brother and I had an interesting upbringing, and spent a lot of our youth and early twenties hitting first talking later.

That alone was enough to to teach me to always stay calm when kiting and especially on the road. It also taught me nothing good comes from violence and also you are one punch away from hitting someone who can really mess you up...lol

But this experience in my youth has somehow given me the ability to stay calm when others are losing their heads,,,have stopped a number of potential bust ups at crowded spots.

That being said...if my son was put in danger ( he only 5 at the moment wont start kiting until he is 6....ha ha) my reckless behaviour (and I know Robbies son so it makes me all that a bit more angry reading it), I would see red. If the guy was being a guy when I approached him I am certain ( unfortunately) I would give him a large dentist bill with my head, knees and elbows....tip don't use your hands fingers and wrists break.

But yes it can bring to worst out in us....only human after all.
... it takes me a lot to get to the violent stage but this dude came with in a bee's dick I tell ya!

You know what, karma can be a bitch, later that same day the same dude trashed his kite in the surf and tore it to shreads. When he was walking back up the beach my son who was watching and taking a few pics had a good old laugh at him. And even funnier, the next day the same dude with same kite now, attempting to check if it flew ok (fixed over night), flew it into a tree :lol: he had a group of us laughing our arses off!!!! What a douche!!!

Talking of bullies, similar story, different beach but same holiday location, the missus and her girlfriend were kiting happily, upwind and away from every one minding their own buisness. Big dude with dreads on a yellow cabrihna kited up and around them, cutting them both off and constantly forcing them into dangerous positions, ie jumping in front of them, landing very close , gybing when not looking etc.

Later when enjoying a beer or 3, having a de-brief, both missus and girlfriend were chatting about this guy and stories how he was bulling them I said next time point him out, if he has the audacity to come back, I'll have a word. A day later he's out there doing it again so I approached him. Like a bully does, he took off, this way and that, he then tried to cut me off ie even though he was upwind, he kept his kite low. Oh, ok, is that the game were playing hey. My mood changed from diplomate to f#ck him diplomacy has failed!!! I chased him up and down, me shaking my fist at him gave him a good idea I wasn't happy. He went too far down wind where I wasn't prepared to go so I had to let him go. No idea what I would have done but I sure would have taught him a few choice words in english. We didn't see him again and missus and girfriend were happy being left alone.

Why do people get dumber or bigger bullies when on holidays? I can't believe the self centered manor some people get, me personally I like to be chilled and love to kite alone so I head off upwind waay away from the d!ckehads.

Cheers for now,

Robbie :D

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:28 am

I have a very good friend that I kite with who has an ultra-zen relaxed style on the water that I just cant seem to relate to...he just cruises the waves..and he digs it....

I think its something similar to surfing. I have a shortboard background and my buddy seems to be a 'soul kiter' and I'm looking for waves to shred the crap out of...hes been telling me that hes been noticing some sort of evil glare in my eyes lately... :evil:

I just didnt expect to become aggressive on the water moving into the onset of the intermediate stages of kiting (he says with modest respect)

g00se
Medium Poster

Postby g00se » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:30 am

Puetz - you have a missus and a girlfriend that talk to each other and watch you kite?

Now that's pretty damned impressive right there.

Respect.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:05 am

JGTR wrote:Not while kiting but I get road rage the closer I get to the beach in my car :lol: Start of all Driving Miss Daisy and end up Fast & Furious :lol:

Once I'm out there I'm pretty chilled
Put this on:

DocDeuce
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IOP, Sullivans Island, Folly Beach

Postby DocDeuce » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:24 pm

I dont get aggressive or anything... I just look like a crazy person when I'm trying new things or riding waves in high wind. I am constantly talking to my kite... "Be nice" , "Dont do that", "Come on be a good girl"... by the way my kite is a girl. :D :D :D

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:47 pm

:hah:
DocDeuce wrote:I dont get aggressive or anything... I just look like a crazy person when I'm trying new things or riding waves in high wind. I am constantly talking to my kite... "Be nice" , "Dont do that", "Come on be a good girl"... by the way my kite is a girl. :D :D :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”