Favorite Beaches: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Gear: Core Section 4M, Section 2 6M. GTS 3 9M
Moses Onda 71 HL
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: A Harness that Doesn't push up

Postby Rotule » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:44 pm

Certeza wrote: This concept is widely known and very easily demonstrated. Take a piece of CF (like the referenced spreader bar for example) and try to bend it. As you suggest, it will be crazy strong. You will barely be able to bend it. But.... take out a sharp heavy object and give it a smack. CF cracks rather easily under sharp impact. This is because as soon as the epoxy (which is rather brittle) gets compromised, each fiber must act as an individual directional fiber. When glued into a bundle, the fibers are incredibly strong, but individually, the fibers aren't very strong at all.
thats a good point! i'm a scientist too but specialized in electronics ;) i still have a lot to learn with composites.

Another concern with carbon fiber is when it breaks, it makes pretty nasty and sharp fibers coming out of the cracks.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:56 pm

And that's why you put a layer of E glass over top of your carbon, if you want it to last.
Or kevlar etc if you want to be fancy...

Certeza
Rare Poster
Style: Wakestyle Freestyle

Postby Certeza » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:25 pm

BWD wrote:And that's why you put a layer of E glass over top of your carbon, if you want it to last.
Or kevlar etc if you want to be fancy...
I'm sure that there are application where this extra step is worth the effort and cost, but in this case there isn't really any justification for it. Simply makes more sense to use coated steel tubing for a spreader bar. I'd really like to see him prototype a flat/wide bar using steel. Just seems to make more sense here. :D

kiwimike
Medium Poster
Local Beach: pattaya
Favorite Beaches: surfersparadise
Style: all
Gear: cabrinha

Postby kiwimike » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:15 pm

the idea that there is one harness make or model the suites everyone needs to be dismissed. best to stick to a seat harness until you have the correct body and kite position to keep the harness in the correct position. the correct seat harness should cup your butt cheeks and should not be that uncomfortable. again there is no correct make or model for everyone. when you are ready go to try several harness in a shop with a line set up to get a real feel for it.

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:08 pm

IMO your harness should not be too tight. That way if the harness rides up you just fly the kite low and wiggle your hips and harness slips down.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:08 pm

waynepjh wrote:IMO your harness should not be too tight. That way if the harness rides up you just fly the kite low and wiggle your hips and harness slips down.
This is one solution, yes, but very individual I think.

I could never ride with a loose harness, as then it would rotate when riding waves when you get the pull from the side :x
I just HATE that - my hook should stay extremely fixed in order to work properly (thus a sliding hook is the worst I could ever wish...).

So I want the harness tight, so it does not slide around - and it will not ride up either this way.

Of course it can always move an inch or maybe two up and down, true but it will position itself low again, when your kite is low and you lean back - if you've had pull upwards to start with.
Actually, it does not have to be supertight, just okay tight and pleasant, in order to stay put 8)

Others like a loose harness that can slide around, and you can "wiggle" down again after it has ridden up :D
And some like the harness hook to stay put almost totally fixed (like I do).

Apart from that, I agree 100% with what kiwimike writes here - go for a seat harness, as it gives many other advantages besides not riding up.
Later, if you for some reason want to change, you will know what to aim for and you have the technique (but you might have to test and use money on A WHOLE BUNCH of harnesses first, believe me - there is not one harness that suits everyone...)

:D Peter

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Krazedkiter » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:59 pm

In my experience, the harness types (such as Mystic) that have the extra strap to hold the spreader bar down (the spreader bar down system they call it I believe) has solved the riding up problem. It is the only harness type I use now.

The second issue, in my experience again, has to do with....how should I say.....the extra built in floatation some of us have. Flabby belly and waist does not help in harness support. Fat is soft and squishy and will contract when pressure is placed on it. So, a harness will become a loose harness off and on again during your ride.

Then again, remember that unless there is some rigid support that will stop upward movement such as with a seat harness, there will always be some ride up no matter how fit or unfit you are.

Return to “Kitesurfing”