Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

FireWire vanguard ?

forum for kitesurfers


ronnie
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3581
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:39 pm

Re: FireWire vanguard ?

Postby ronnie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:31 pm

I don't see how the T-Rex is a version of the Vanguard. It doesn't seem to have the concaves or channels that seem to be an integral part of the Vanguard shape.

felixp
Medium Poster
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:34 am
Kiting since: 12
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: FireWire vanguard ?

Postby felixp » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:44 pm

BudhaNl wrote:Thanks Felix! Now to choose between Hellfire 5'6 or Vanguard 5'4... Any great early adopter deals available for the Vanguard ;) ;) ?


For now I would go with the kite Version of the Hellfire 5'6, great board and it will last.

Can't really guarantee how long the rapid fire surf construction vanguards will hold up.

Mine are still going but I really nurse them.

Once the real deal comes out you will be stoked...

Awesome things in the Works.

User avatar
omg
Frequent Poster
Posts: 311
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:58 pm

Re: FireWire vanguard ?

Postby omg » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:10 pm

Phil,

How is the weight of the TREX you have? I d really appreciate if you could weight it, please please :thumb:

How is the weight of trex compared to the vanguard you had?

Any other input greatly appreciated! Is the board good for 20 knots plus winds?

Thanks and good winds!

User avatar
Phil
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 921
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:00 am
Kiting since: 1999
Favorite Beaches: Famara
Gear: Pivot 2016 9m & 7m, Firewire Vader 5'3, HB Lafayette 5'10, Shinnster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Paname (suburb)

Re: FireWire vanguard ?

Postby Phil » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:48 pm

omg wrote:Phil,
How is the weight of the TREX you have? I d really appreciate if you could weight it, please please :thumb:
How is the weight of trex compared to the vanguard you had?

The T-Rex I tested was a demo one from the importer. I would estimate the weight at around 3,5kg.
The Vanguard was a surf version at 2,9kg... but the board has suffered from jumps abuse and needs now to be repaired and reinforced by a surf shaper (we have not been very good at caring the baby :nono: ).

omg wrote:Any other input greatly appreciated! Is the board good for 20 knots plus winds?
Thanks and good winds!

Look at the SS clip concerning the T-Rex:
http://vimeo.com/68453866
:cool2:

Phil
Have Fun & Ride Safe

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1127
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-8 compact
Slingshot 5-8 Celeritas
Slingshot Space pickle
Slingshot Rally 8&10
Core XR3 12m
Core XR2 Lw 17m
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden

Re: FireWire vanguard ?

Postby TomW » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:46 pm

felixp wrote:
BudhaNl wrote:Thanks Felix! Now to choose between Hellfire 5'6 or Vanguard 5'4... Any great early adopter deals available for the Vanguard ;) ;) ?


For now I would go with the kite Version of the Hellfire 5'6, great board and it will last.

Can't really guarantee how long the rapid fire surf construction vanguards will hold up.

Mine are still going but I really nurse them.

Once the real deal comes out you will be stoked...

Awesome things in the Works.


Just start making them and I'll buy one. Been looking to move On from my 5-8 thruster that ive been On 3 years.

sckitesurf
Medium Poster
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:47 am
Kiting since: 2006
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: FireWire vanguard ?

Postby sckitesurf » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:54 am

I've been riding the Vanguard 5'2" for two months and 5'6 for another couple months before that. 165lb at 5'9". As stated before the 5'6" or larger sizes have a lot of foam. Great for surfing waves with some push or kiting really light wind. But ultimately found the 5'2" to be the magic board for all conditions. As Felix mentioned it sits a little lower in the water but still will get planing and just wants to move forward in light winds. You can bury the nose and it will pop back out due to the nose contour. For fun I threw my 210lb friend on the 5'2" assuming he would sink it. He had absolutely no problem on that size (amazing) and put an order in for one the same day. In terms of comparing to the T-rex, there really is no comparison. It's the shape, bottom contours, rail line AND build process that make the board what it is. Not just lopping off the nose of a traditional board. Do the research. Here's some basic info on Daniel Thompson and his concepts. http://www.surfersjournal.com/issues/22-2/go-deeper/daniel-thomson-and-the-speed-of-phi. But to better understand the Modern Planing Hull, pickup a copy of the Surfers Journal Volume 22 NO 2 Spring 13' http://www.surfersjournal.com/pdf_article/daniel-thomson-and-speed-phi-richard-kenvin and read why Tomo's design by Firewire are anything but a surfboard with a chopped off nose.

rebeliousone
Rare Poster
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:27 am
Local Beach: Beach
Style: Straps=no
Gear: Rebels

Re: FireWire vanguard ?

Postby rebeliousone » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:04 pm

What about the firewire boards for kiting in Timbertek? Super light, strong and sustainable.

User avatar
Phil
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 921
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:00 am
Kiting since: 1999
Favorite Beaches: Famara
Gear: Pivot 2016 9m & 7m, Firewire Vader 5'3, HB Lafayette 5'10, Shinnster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Paname (suburb)

Re: FireWire vanguard ?

Postby Phil » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:16 pm

rebeliousone wrote:What about the firewire boards for kiting in Timbertek? Super light, strong and sustainable.

Timbertek for kiting boards? They are working on it.... at least for the Vanguard :thumb:
601022_10151890717679502_1042640386_n.jpg

270973_10151888649254502_1787097629_n.jpg

Source:
https://www.facebook.com/firewirekitesurf
Check the comments on may 2 and may 4

Phil
Have Fun & Ride Safe

BudhaNl
Medium Poster
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:03 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Muiderberg, Wijk, Schellinkhout
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: FireWire vanguard ?

Postby BudhaNl » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:36 am

Phil wrote:
rebeliousone wrote:What about the firewire boards for kiting in Timbertek? Super light, strong and sustainable.

Timbertek for kiting boards? They are working on it.... at least for the Vanguard

https://www.facebook.com/firewirekitesurf
Check the comments on may 2 and may 4

Phil
Have Fun & Ride Safe


I'll take that one please. With inserts preferably.

When & where do I pre-order (seriously!)?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3581
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:39 pm

Re: FireWire vanguard ?

Postby ronnie » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:29 am



Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cole Collett and 15 guests