Nobile N62 (m + 7m
Shinn Gintronic
Spleene Door 59
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2013 Blade Unibar not flagging properly

Postby leightong » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:48 pm

Same thing happened to me only not on such a disasterous scale. The knot joining the safety and centre lines got jammed against the rim of the inside of the swivel preventing the safety sliding to its full length. Here a pic of the setup:
The safety line is knotted to the centre line and then goes through the centre of the swivel - once its through the centre it has to negotiate the pulley (which helps when pulling the depower rope). This means it slightly doubles back on itself. The centre line sleeving is also pretty tight in the hole on the swivel (on the bottom of the pic) which means it takes a bit of force to move it. These 2 things meant when I unhooked and lost my bar the knot stuck on the centre of the swivel and the bar only travelled to the swivel - the kite still had a fair bit of power. On a windier day the extra force may have dislodged it or it maybe wouldn't have stuck there in the first place - it wasn't to bad for me as I was in shallow water and could stand on the bottom. Sounds like this is what happened in Slappysans case too...

Oddly enough I flying a 10m 2013 trigger too which is a fantastic kite - love them.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:01 pm

When I got a Naish swivel to build a single front line flagging bar, I smoothed the path of the flagging line as much as possible, tapering the entrances, smoothing any edge which might catch and straightening the path a bit if possible.

I also found that loop/loop connections can catch and there is a smoother way to connect lines if you can do your own splicing and that is to make the splice through the loop on the end of the line you are connecting to as you create the splice.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:18 pm

ronnie wrote: I also found that loop/loop connections can catch and there is a smoother way to connect lines if you can do your own splicing and that is to make the splice through the loop on the end of the line you are connecting to as you create the splice.
This design (used by the Unibar and several other manufacturers) relies on that loop/loop connection to stop the swivel from getting past the connection in the direction towards the bar. It has to be tight to ensure it doesn't slip through but also be loose enough so that the splice in the front line loop will slide through.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:48 pm

Slappysan wrote:
ronnie wrote: I also found that loop/loop connections can catch and there is a smoother way to connect lines if you can do your own splicing and that is to make the splice through the loop on the end of the line you are connecting to as you create the splice.
This design (used by the Unibar and several other manufacturers) relies on that loop/loop connection to stop the swivel from getting past the connection in the direction towards the bar. It has to be tight to ensure it doesn't slip through but also be loose enough so that the splice in the front line loop will slide through.
True:
I did an extra wrap through the loop when making the splice to get the right volume to prevent it going through the swivel hole, so it can be easily adjusted (within limits).

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2380826&p=797312&hi ... ce#p797312

calibra
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho
Nova Vaga
Fonte da Telha
Lagoa De Albufeira
Style: Freeride, Freestyle, Wave ride.
Gear: Blade Vertigo 2007 8m
Bangkiteboard Bowmoq 136X43
Surf Board Bluebottlhe 5.10 epoxy with 4 fins 4WFS

Postby calibra » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:53 am

take a look at this post...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2378371&start=80

leightong
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Beadnell Bay North easty England
Favorite Beaches: Budle Bay, Beadnell Bay
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m
Nobile Koinobori 12m + 9m
Nobile N62 (m + 7m
Shinn Gintronic
Spleene Door 59

Postby leightong » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:33 pm

This happened to me again yesterday. Well overpowered on my 10m trigger - I can usually 'walk' up the centre lines to self land but even fully depowered there was too much pull so I activated the QR. The bar went 2m to the swivel and stuck - it must have been blowing around 25-30 knots. I managed to get to the swivel and give it a tug and that freed the saftey and depowered the kite. Not sure if I could have done this in the water though - looks like I need to get my drill out as per the 'bar mod' video. Shame as this is a good bar system otherwise.

Return to “Kitesurfing”