Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Exactly what they don't need there.

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Exactly what they don't need there.

Postby tautologies » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:03 pm

What kind of a parent puts their kids in what they perceive as danger just to create conflict. This is a case for Cps in my opinion.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:12 pm

tautologies wrote:What kind of a parent puts their kids in what they perceive as danger just to create conflict. This is a case for Cps in my opinion.
It does seem that the kids are used to blockade the part of the beach which is the only suitable part for kiters to launch from.

The video seems to me to be a setup situation which only needed an idiot kiter to turn up to complete the scenario, and unfortunately one did.

So when I said in the title 'Exactly what they don't need there' I'm now going to also include the parents who position their kids to stop kiters being able to launch safely in the way I mean that.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:07 pm

Give the Boleks as little traction as possible. We all know the kiter was an idiot and most can understand the intent with which the video was captured. Let this thread fade and fewer kiters will end up in heated online debates that reflect poorly on all of us.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:14 pm

It's good to see the Bolek family is doing well. Is that his kid in the movie? Look forward to more movies by them.

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board
Been thanked: 0

Postby Thor SFBay » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:48 pm

The parents and kids could just be clueless. One of the areas I kite in has signs and orange cones to designate the kite launch zone, a very tiny fraction of the available beach, and still I've seen people just plop themselves and their kids right in the middle of it. There's no shortage of humans who just don't pay any attention to their surroundings. Kiters and non-kiters included.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:05 pm

Thor SFBay wrote:The parents and kids could just be clueless. One of the areas I kite in has signs and orange cones to designate the kite launch zone, a very tiny fraction of the available beach, and still I've seen people just plop themselves and their kids right in the middle of it. There's no shortage of humans who just don't pay any attention to their surroundings. Kiters and non-kiters included.
Kites are perceived by the general public as innocuous. Even kiters take a while to remember to always stay upwind of lines, launching kites, etc..I was setting up to do a tethered launch on our normally deserted island and a parent put a baby directly downwind of my kite. I waited for my friend to come back and did an assisted launch clear of civilians.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:22 am

Thor SFBay wrote:The parents and kids could just be clueless. One of the areas I kite in has signs and orange cones to designate the kite launch zone, a very tiny fraction of the available beach, and still I've seen people just plop themselves and their kids right in the middle of it. There's no shortage of humans who just don't pay any attention to their surroundings. Kiters and non-kiters included.
The difference being, we don't make international assholes out of ourselves with a campaign of half-truths and outright lies to newspapers and government departments :roll:

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !

Postby RichardM » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:58 pm

rightguard wrote:Ok no one usually wants to hear it but ill explain a little. Of course the guy should not be launching with all the kids there... But that is the problem at this beach right now. I just don't even go there on Sundays anymore.

So where he is launching is the only place to launch at this beach. If the wind is better you could go down wind of the kids but that doesn't happen often. The fish pond is upwind of him and where the kids should be swimming to be totally safe. But everyone is pushing people's buttons and trying to get in each others way. Kids never use to play at that part of the beach until recently.

You can't really say anything but the guy is wrong... But he is being pushed out of the only launch on that part of the beach.

I've seen the DLNR down there a lot lately but they are not telling kiters to leave. I sort of think the trouble is blowing over, except on Sundays.
First, unless the area is SPECIFICALLY reserved for kiters, the non-kiters have a greater right to use the area. Even if they were in a kiter only zone, the m0r0n (and his idiot launcher) were WRONG to endanger them.

Second, you are COMPLETELY WRONG THAT ".... where he is launching is the only place to launch at this beach."

He could have SWUM OUT, safely PAST the kids, and DRIFT LAUNCHED. If he was too incompetent to do so and/or the wind too weak for a drift launch, HE SHOULD NOT BE KITING THERE.

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:17 am

Richard... Thanks again for your brilliant and overwhelming knowledge of kitesurfing. I just wish some day I could be as smart as you.

Of course that was not the smartest thing to do... never said it wasn't. I do think it's also stupid for the kids to be playing there. Just because they can doesn't mean they should.

Lets all try and get along.

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:19 am

I still contend that it's the only place to launch "from" the beach. If he was to swim out he would not be doing a launch "from" the beach.

I guess he could have walked out over the reef and thrown his kite in the water as well.

Return to “Kitesurfing”