Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why do I lose speed when.

Forum for kitesurfers
TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why do I lose speed when.

Postby TheJoe » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:25 am

EDT's comment about getting someone to look at you while your riding is spot on. If I could see you riding I could tell you exactly what your doing wrong. With out seeing you ride it is purely speculation and that could confuse you even more. Best advise is too get some one to watch and then critique your riding or take another lesson to work on your riding.

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kite2Heaven » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:44 am

Years of R&D show Red boards go faster, the fashion Police will amend any Slow n ugly board riders :)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:40 am

I assume you have less power to hold the bar closer to you, so you depower more.
And riding with one hand means you open your body more towards the direction you are heading to, resulting into your hip being twisted more and terefore you will edge harder, so slowing you down but also going upwind more.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:59 am

edt wrote:u'll never handle pass or board off if u dont minimum learn to fly the kite one handed. You can drive a car better too with hands at 10 and 2 o'clock and who does that?
Only after you have a lot of speed leading up to the trick by riding with both hands on center will you be able to throw a handle pass, board off or whatever trick. Most of the harder tricks require speed and to get speed it's easier to have both hands on center. I don't think i've ever seen anyone approach handle passes or board offs riding one handed.

Hadlow shows this exactly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjmrlmtmy0I

Of course riding one handed has many places in the sport, but the original poster is referring to straight line riding, hence my response.

@iblocalsurfer....same thing. I ride strapless a ton and ride with both hands on center if I want speed, but when going to toe side will often even switch my one had to the wrong side and lay out with the free hand.

I stick 100% by my original thoughts that riding with both hands on center will help with speed if speed is what you want.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

Kiteus Maximus
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kiteus Maximus » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:56 pm

When you ride with one hand you usually drop the other hand which opens your hips which means to edge harder which means you lose power. Get used to maintaininh the same stance 1 or 2 handed and the problem goes away. Ignore all of the overly complex explanations. Jeezus people make this sport too complicated at times.

Return to “Kitesurfing”