Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot Sports Introduces 2014 Kite Line Up

forum for kitesurfers


User avatar
GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 999
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:16 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hythe Kent.
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne Mauritius
Nyali Kenya
Style: Freeriding Ariel Lawnmower
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: Core Distributor
Location: Folkestone Kent UK
Contact:

Re: Slingshot Sports Introduces 2014 Kite Line Up

Postby GraemeF » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:22 pm

Well Marketing BS aside they seem to have omitted to mention the best improvement, the bar, and the change to the depower system.

Just by reworking that chocolate box thing, adding a return to give extra purchase, the whole below the bar depower story gets completely vindicated.

That T Rex is a blinding 'wake style' surf board, the space pickle a great lark about tool, the Rally is further refined over the strides forward they made this year, the Misfit rides like never before, but for me the fave thing is the bar, finally the below bar bit really works without having to make sure you have extra hanging out or adding one of those yellow balls so the rope doesn't go all the way home.

And, there is a backwards retrofit solution in the pipeline, bonus.

User avatar
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2653
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:06 pm
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Location: MD
Contact:

Re: Slingshot Sports Introduces 2014 Kite Line Up

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm

GraemeF wrote:...That T Rex is a blinding 'wake style' surf board, the space pickle a great lark about tool, the Rally is further refined over the strides forward they made this year, the Misfit rides like never before, but for me the fave thing is the bar, finally the below bar bit really works without having to make sure you have extra hanging out or adding one of those yellow balls so the rope doesn't go all the way home...

Sweet, Graeme! Thanks for the first hand knowledge.

Have you ridden the 2014 Rally in the different attachment points?
Is there a noticeable turning speed/bar pressure difference when you attach right at the tip (new) or at the elbow (more similar to 2013). I like the 14M fast and light so I'll be trying the tipmost connection point, but curious if anyone has compared them.

User avatar
GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 999
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:16 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hythe Kent.
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne Mauritius
Nyali Kenya
Style: Freeriding Ariel Lawnmower
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: Core Distributor
Location: Folkestone Kent UK
Contact:

Re: Slingshot Sports Introduces 2014 Kite Line Up

Postby GraemeF » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:28 pm

Yes, I've only ridden the 12, 10 & 8, and used the 12 on multiple settings it's the larger kite that benefits most. tbh I was never a big Rally fan, preferred the bar pressure of the RPM, but now they've tweaked so much more power out of the smaller sized Rallys, I kind of get where they're going with it and the whole maximising power out of smaller kite thing with surf boards like that T Rex.

I swear to God, one day we have every size from 6 to 12 on the water and everyone was on what they thought they wanted to be on and all at the same time, how much range is that out of one kite line.

So basically the Rally gets better turning and more low end power especially in the smaller sizes aimed at driving boards like the T Rex, which has a whole deal going on with multi fin options. Five for drive and three for loose..


Lots of good stuff.


User avatar
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2653
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:06 pm
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Location: MD
Contact:

Re: Slingshot Sports Introduces 2014 Kite Line Up

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:30 am

GraemeF wrote:Yes, I've only ridden the 12, 10 & 8, and used the 12 on multiple settings it's the larger kite that benefits most. tbh I was never a big Rally fan, preferred the bar pressure of the RPM, but now they've tweaked so much more power out of the smaller sized Rallys, I kind of get where they're going with it and the whole maximising power out of smaller kite thing with surf boards like that T Rex.

I swear to God, one day we have every size from 6 to 12 on the water and everyone was on what they thought they wanted to be on and all at the same time, how much range is that out of one kite line.

So basically the Rally gets better turning and more low end power especially in the smaller sizes aimed at driving boards like the T Rex, which has a whole deal going on with multi fin options. Five for drive and three for loose...

What do you mean by 5 for drive? Does it affect board speed or is the only difference the loosening of the tail with less fins?

Interesting about the small Rallys. I hadn't heard that twist. I ended up not liking my 2011 6M Rally for that reason and swapped it out for a 7M RPM which I'm happy with. But, if they beefed up the smaller sizes somehow, they may be worth looking at again.

So, was the 12 as I'd expect? (fast on the tipmost, gruntier on the elbow?)

User avatar
GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 999
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:16 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hythe Kent.
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne Mauritius
Nyali Kenya
Style: Freeriding Ariel Lawnmower
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: Core Distributor
Location: Folkestone Kent UK
Contact:

Re: Slingshot Sports Introduces 2014 Kite Line Up

Postby GraemeF » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:22 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:What do you mean by 5 for drive? Does it affect board speed or is the only difference the loosening of the tail with less fins?

Bung all five fins in and you have a solid tail to drive off, wether for low wind speed or high wind directional drive. Take a couple of them out and you loosen the board up like a regular surf/wave board, you've got to give it a go, it was on the water constantly everyone water to be on it, a board of many colours...

Interesting about the small Rallys. I hadn't heard that twist. I ended up not liking my 2011 6M Rally for that reason and swapped it out for a 7M RPM which I'm happy with. But, if they beefed up the smaller sizes somehow, they may be worth looking at again.

Yes definitely, they are way more powerful than they were even this year.

So, was the 12 as I'd expect? (fast on the tipmost, gruntier on the elbow?)

Exactly that and with the bonus of a dream bar for depower control

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1197
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-8 compact
Slingshot 5-8 Celeritas
Slingshot Space pickle
Slingshot Rally 8&10
Core XR3 12m
Core XR2 Lw 17m
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden

Re: Slingshot Sports Introduces 2014 Kite Line Up

Postby TomW » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:35 pm

This is the future of product development and retail. I have used both Best and Switch as examples of how things will/should be done in our company (sooner or later). I work at Sony Mobile.

Be proud you are setting the example even outside your core industry.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1197
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-8 compact
Slingshot 5-8 Celeritas
Slingshot Space pickle
Slingshot Rally 8&10
Core XR3 12m
Core XR2 Lw 17m
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden

Re: Slingshot Sports Introduces 2014 Kite Line Up

Postby TomW » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:36 pm

TomW wrote:This is the future of product development and retail. I have used both Best and Switch as examples of how things will/should be done in our company (sooner or later). I work at Sony Mobile.

Be proud you are setting the example even outside your core industry.


wrong thread...

User avatar
Fatfish98
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 99
Location: UK South Coast

Re: Slingshot Sports Introduces 2014 Kite Line Up

Postby Fatfish98 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:53 pm

Good long test video on the Rally 12 & 9m on this German site:

http://gleiten.tv/index.php/video/actio ... /page/345/

Looks really good.

User avatar
omg
Frequent Poster
Posts: 323
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:58 pm

Re: Slingshot Sports Introduces 2014 Kite Line Up

Postby omg » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:45 am

anyone able to translate what Gleiten.tv says about looping the Rally (is it slow or boring or what as my deutsch ist nicht so gut), please.

And another one; how is the bar pressure like when using the lightest setting? I am really after as light as possible.

Thanks!


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests