Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

More strutless love

Forum for kitesurfers
clydesdale
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: More strutless love

Postby clydesdale » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:09 pm

i hear correctly that the cloud and other strutless kites have pretty high bar pressure?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:18 pm

I don't feel like it's too high, but keep in mind the power.
The cloud has grunt for its size, and develops power with apparent wind quickly.
You really can ride it smaller or in lighter wind than conventional lei's.
And it will power you like a bigger kite, and feel like it when sheeted in = bar pressure.

cleepa
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby cleepa » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:52 pm

I love my Clouds (6, 8, 10). Love, love, love.

@clydesdale: bar pressure feels pretty light to me. Agree with what BWD says.

LanBro
Frequent Poster
Style: Old School
Gear: 2019 Rebel / RPM
Been thanked: 0

Postby LanBro » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:11 am

How well does it relaunch? What does it do better and what does it do worse in comparison to kites with struts?

Thx

Aummm
Medium Poster
Style: Old
Gear: Cabrinha, Ozone Kites, NO STRUTLESS!

Postby Aummm » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:39 am

clydesdale wrote:i hear correctly that the cloud and other strutless kites have pretty high bar pressure?
How well does it relaunch? What does it do better and what does it do worse in comparison to kites with struts?
I've flown several brand's strutless
and I found the bar pressure is very high in the mid and high range generally :alarm:
The relaunch is fast enough but not earlier than some other similar size inflatables or foil types.
If somebody is looking for performance like boosting and hang time, than its not the type of kite.
But when somebody is just looking for strapless and playing in the water strutless might be their toy :idea:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:55 am

Aummm wrote:I've flown several brand's strutless and I found the bar pressure is very high in the mid and high range generally :alarm:
Compared to what? What kite are you riding that makes these kites feel like high bar pressure?
I though I have not flown the airush I have flown several BRM and I have flown the Naish Trip and they certainly do not have high bar pressure...I think on par with the park.
The relaunch is fast enough but not earlier than some other similar size inflatables or foil types.
If somebody is looking for performance like boosting and hang time, than its not the type of kite.
But when somebody is just looking for strapless and playing in the water strutless might be their toy :idea:

Yup relaunch would be similar to other kites. Self launch self land same easy
I have not used them for much outside wave riding and strapless "tricks" like jumping...so yeah they are pretty good for playing in the water which by the way I think every single kiter is doing whenever s/he in the water....

braveman
Medium Poster

Postby braveman » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:12 am

Is there a new model for the cloud ?
It has been almost a year since it first came out.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:32 am

braveman wrote:Is there a new model for the cloud ?
It has been almost a year since it first came out.
I think the first production ones were delivered in February this year so still early days. Some people had flown prototypes before that, which may have made you think production started earlier.

Europ2
Frequent Poster

Postby Europ2 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:07 am

Aummm wrote: The relaunch is fast enough but not earlier than some other similar size inflatables or foil types.
Not only because the Cloud has obviously inspired the CRONIX wing-tip shape, but I was thinking that the Cloud could take some benefits from a suspended trailing edge:
- improved relaunch in marginal wind conditions due to the pocket shape when pulling one rear line (Zeeko ERA-like) or both,
- improved high end due to stiffer TE.

The question is whether those few grams of bridles, pulleys and drag would preserve, improve or degrade the current Cloud inner properties...

http://www.flysurfer.com/download/9963/
Attachments
Rear Bridle Flysurfer.jpg
Rear Bridle Flysurfer.jpg (33.24 KiB) Viewed 1649 times

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:19 pm

Europ2 wrote:
Not only because the Cloud has obviously inspired the CRONIX wing-tip shape, but I was thinking that the Cloud could take some benefits from a suspended trailing edge:
- improved relaunch in marginal wind conditions due to the pocket shape when pulling one rear line (Zeeko ERA-like) or both,
- improved high end due to stiffer TE.
hmm, that might be a good thing to explore. I think being able to not be locked into conventional solutions is CRITICAL to moving forward.

Return to “Kitesurfing”