Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui

Postby Osprey1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:08 pm

boardriding maui wrote: Instead of making gear obsolete my hope is to provide something like a software update so riders can continue to get the latest and greatest in the gear they already have.
Awesome idea!!! Can't wait to see what new mods await

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:08 pm

diogovilla wrote:Can any rider comment on the cloud's bar pressure? (i'm used to the switchblade bar pressure). Tks.
It is fine. Definitely not heavy on the bar.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:08 pm

Osprey1 wrote:
boardriding maui wrote: Instead of making gear obsolete my hope is to provide something like a software update so riders can continue to get the latest and greatest in the gear they already have.
Awesome idea!!! Can't wait to see what new mods await

Agree!!!

Vacaloca
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Buenos aires, chascomus, punta rasa
Been thanked: 0

Postby Vacaloca » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:48 pm

tautologies wrote:
diogovilla wrote:Can any rider utmment on the cloud's bar pressure? (i'm used to the switchblade bar pressure). Tks.
I would say it depends on the size. The 17m has higher bar pressure and the 6m is low. If you are used to 2012 switchblades then you are fine. 2013 sblades are lighter so you will notice a change there.

I second Greg' s customer support, it's just plain interesting. The issue with expanding faster imo is lack of local support ( if you are not in Maui), very hard to try them out (we all took a leap of faith with our first one) and little information online... just a couple of vids on youtube, this thread and little else)

I'm loving my 17m, and i urge everyone to try it out, but that takes a long time to spread the word, especially because you are usually alone when flying the 17m :)

If you see oneout there, try it!

diogovilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Praia do Coqueiro - Piaui - Brazil

Postby diogovilla » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:08 pm

Vacaloca wrote:
tautologies wrote:
diogovilla wrote:Can any rider utmment on the cloud's bar pressure? (i'm used to the switchblade bar pressure). Tks.
I would say it depends on the size. The 17m has higher bar pressure and the 6m is low. If you are used to 2012 switchblades then you are fine. 2013 sblades are lighter so you will notice a change there.
I'm considering changing my 14m switchblade 2010 to a 13m cloud. I have a neck problem and bar pressure is a MAJOR ISSUE to me. Do you think I'm going to experience a heavier bar with the cloud?

Is there something else you couldd compare between a 14m switchblade 2010 and a 13m cloud? Wich one is gruntier?

Thank you VERY MUCH!

alkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Whatever works

Postby alkiter » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:32 pm

diogovilla wrote: I'm considering changing my 14m switchblade 2010 to a 13m cloud. I have a neck problem and bar pressure is a MAJOR ISSUE to me. Do you think I'm going to experience a heavier bar with the cloud?

Is there something else you couldd compare between a 14m switchblade 2010 and a 13m cloud? Wich one is gruntier?

Thank you VERY MUCH!
The 13m Cloud has way less bar pressure than the 14m SB. You can steer the Cloud one handed easily. Some people would say the SB is gruntier (see grunt discussion above)

Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Gigi;) » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:42 pm

funny, you compared it with the probably hardest on the bar of all kites especially in the 1st models.

in most cases deltish kites equipped with 3-Y cascade bridles (plus pulleys) will have medium to harder pressure. Pressure may increase with bigger sizes. You probably wont be able to tune it for less pressure within this/current configuration a lot... but you can quite easily try it yourself, pls read one example below (VERY generalized interpretation) and keep in mind that you may change the characteristics of your kite also in the "wrong" way (normally the designer will know the correct bridle for the kite that's why it is equipped with it!).

1. I want a bit more freestyle feeling out of my kite:

- lets try to make it fixed bridle (no pulleys), with pivot point more to the wingtip

2. How to approx. "correctly" make pulley-less bridle

- shot the kite in the air, make as clean front view "2D" shot as possible
- get the picture into CAD sw and measure approx proportion of the lengths
- measure original bridled line (we will focus here on the lower most bridle cascade, the one which connects the flying lines below)
- calculate correct lengts of new lines

Now you can mount the new bridle and hope that your new bridle will look 99% original a-like. This will add a bit different behavior to the kite. BUT for more freestyle feeling you will need to move the pivot point more to the wingtips...

3. Set up a tunning options

- shorten one of the new bridle say by 15cm
- make a simple, longer pigtail like 30cm with multiple fig8 knots on it. One of the knot (say middle) is on 15cm length
- mount pigtail to the shortened bridle line on the bottom Y connection point

Now, if you re-connect the bridle to that 15cm mark knot (position 0) you get the same bridle as before. BUT as soon as you will connect to a different knot you will move pivot point left or right...

Get the idea...? :thumb: :bye:

(depending of the bridle type you may need to work out the other cascades too...)
(pls note too that with each mod of the bridle you will gain something and also LOOSE something on the performance or behavior of the kite - well except if its mounted with the bad bridle in the first place...)
ozonelevel wrote:
diogovilla wrote: I'm considering changing my 14m switchblade 2010 to a 13m cloud. I have a neck problem and bar pressure is a MAJOR ISSUE to me. Do you think I'm going to experience a heavier bar with the cloud?

Thank you VERY MUCH!
The 13m Cloud has way less bar pressure than the 14m SB. You can steer the Cloud one handed easily. Some people would say the SB is gruntier (see grunt discussion above)

diogovilla
Medium Poster

Postby diogovilla » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:30 am

Gigi;) wrote:funny, you compared it with the probably hardest on the bar of all kites especially in the 1st models.
There has been quite some time since the switchblade had a heavy bar. The 2013 bar is REALLY soft.

diogovilla
Medium Poster

Postby diogovilla » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:37 am

ozonelevel wrote: The 13m Cloud has way less bar pressure than the 14m SB. You can steer the Cloud one handed easily. Some people would say the SB is gruntier (see grunt discussion above)
I couldn't find any comparison between the SB and the Cloud in the discussion you mentioned. If you can, please send me the link.

I'm a heavy guy, so the "gruntyness" of the Switchblade is important to me. I also have a neck problem, and the SB light bar helps a lot. Changing to the cloud will be a tough decision which I am carefully considering. Thanks.

alkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Whatever works

Postby alkiter » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:54 am

diogovilla wrote:
ozonelevel wrote: The 13m Cloud has way less bar pressure than the 14m SB. You can steer the Cloud one handed easily. Some people would say the SB is gruntier (see grunt discussion above)
I couldn't find any comparison between the SB and the Cloud in the discussion you mentioned. If you can, please send me the link.

I'm a heavy guy, so the "gruntyness" of the Switchblade is important to me. I also have a neck problem, and the SB light bar helps a lot. Changing to the cloud will be a tough decision which I am carefully considering. Thanks.
Try here;
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2381295

Return to “Kitesurfing”