Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Daytona Beach
Gear: N/A
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Good LEI/Closed Cell Foil Trainer Kite?

Postby Burdman111 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:44 am

I decided a while ago to buy a trainer kite for various reasons. I assumed I was not going to need a water trainable kite, but my requirements have recently changed, so I did some digging and found a few LEI/Closed Cell kites. I was wondering if anyone can compare them for me, as I cant tell much of a difference between the LEI's and I cant compare either of them to the closed cell foil. I was looking for 3m, but the LEI's are all under that. The kites are:
1. Hydra II from HQ (300 or 350)
2. Ozone Uno (2.5. the 4 is much too big. I only weigh 105 and its too big for kayaking)
3. Airush 2m.
4. Rise 2m sle.

I was leaning toward the Hydra II because it was closer to my preferred size, but I probably should gain experience using LEI's. Can somebody help me with these kites?

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Re: Good LEI/Closed Cell Foil Trainer Kite?

Postby Hawaiis » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:59 am

I have the HQ Hydra 300, it is very good.

Burdman111
Rare Poster

Postby Burdman111 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:16 am

Is it significantly different than flying a LEI kite? The price is good but if its too different than an LEI I'm not so sure if I'm going to lean that direction.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:22 am

You are only using the trainer kites to learn the basics of kite control, you still need instructor to learn full size kites.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:55 am

If you are getting a serious trainer then you should get a proper 4-line trainer.

So go with the OceanRodeo 2m or Epic Tudor 2.5m or if money is no object then get the Viron 6m deluxe (I know you'll think that's too big but the Viron is super gentle).

Burdman111
Rare Poster

Postby Burdman111 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:29 pm

Alright. Sounds good. I'll look into those. Thank you for telling me about the tudor, I hadn't seen it listed anywhere as a LEI trainer. Can you tell me why I should get a 4 line instead of a three line, because that tudor is a good two hundred more than the ozone 3 line, and my main priority is to be able to depower, mostly because I am so light. I know the 4 lines will depower, but I don't see any true advantages over a three line other than it is slightly more similar to a larger kite, but I don't know if that will really offset the increased cost. That being said, the airush is only 2 line, so I am no longer considering it. I really do need the ability to depower. Id have to say that based on everything, My final two choices would be a Hydra II or a Rise, but I am still really open to all options.

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:40 pm

u also have the Flysurfer Viron, depowerable , can be used for landboarding snowkiting as well..less efficient on water as it doesn t go deep in the window. kid/trainer water kite.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:53 pm

Burdman111 wrote:my main priority is to be able to depower, mostly because I am so light.
You can't depower a 3 line kite, it has a fixed bridal that runs to the two flying lines. The 3rd line is a break line, which will kill the power in the kite but you can't fly it properly while breaking.

A 4 line kite you can trim to get the amount of power you want and when you sheet in/out you increase/decrease the power. Flying a 4 line kite is very different.

Return to “Kitesurfing”