*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Any news on the Cabrinha 2014 range?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:58 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:03 am
Posts: 344
Are you going to now have to have a different bar for different SLE kites in that lineup?

And now that's its a new bar and safety design (overdrive) does that mean the 2014 bars are only going to work with certain 2014 Cab kites and your brand new Cab 2013 bars are not going to work with 2014 Cab kites? 1 bar for each kite?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Any news on the Cabrinha 2014 range?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:34 am 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:40 am
Posts: 87
Krazedkiter wrote:
Are you going to now have to have a different bar for different SLE kites in that lineup?

And now that's its a new bar and safety design (overdrive) does that mean the 2014 bars are only going to work with certain 2014 Cab kites and your brand new Cab 2013 bars are not going to work with 2014 Cab kites? 1 bar for each kite?


Last edited by polarstorm on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Any news on the Cabrinha 2014 range?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:23 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:39 pm
Posts: 2972
polarstorm wrote:
Krazedkiter wrote:
Are you going to now have to have a different bar for different SLE kites in that lineup?

And now that's its a new bar and safety design (overdrive) does that mean the 2014 bars are only going to work with certain 2014 Cab kites and your brand new Cab 2013 bars are not going to work with 2014 Cab kites? 1 bar for each kite?


starting to get really pissed with Cabrinha.. just because you can print a pattern doesnt mean you should.. and the bar extension thingy.. thats gimmicky as heck. lets see what these kites look like live.

Where's a Nomad when you need one.


The patterns are a marketing tool and a customer satisfaction tool (if they like them), but plain colours are better for repairs.

You know before you go out what size kite and bar you need so did they invent the bar gimmick for those kiters who went out without moving their steering lines and couldn't be arsed going back in to change them? Over-engineering and added expense.

I've mostly flown Cabrinhas and the logic for going to single line flagging may be to reduce the pull from the kite compared to two front lines when the kite is overpowered. The IDS system works well and is very close to the depower of a fifth line, but the kites did tend to yo-yo up and down in strong winds on the IDS. I have read that some models of Cabrinha could get stuck in the nose down position and not want to drop on their backs, but my Crossbows dont.
I like the IDS system except when it has to be used in the overpowered situation. I find it very convenient for self-launching and self-landing, which occurs way more often than overpowered flagging. I will want to keep something that works like IDS on my bigger kites.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Any news on the Cabrinha 2014 range?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:27 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:43 pm
Posts: 409
Ronnie,
The 2013 and earlier IDS Switchblade would normally stay nose/LE down once the IDS system/QR1 was activated which in my opinion was best to ensure total depower regardless of wind strength. The Xbow tended to do the opposite where it would roll on its back when the QR1 was activated.
It will be interesting to see how the new 2014 Cabrinha single front line safety system works in keeping the kite in a depowered state once the QR1 is activated. Wondering if the Cabrinha bar will be compatible with other kite brands that use a single front line safety system...?
The issue in the past that i saw with single front line safety systems, is that once the QR1 was released, the kite would be slightly off set in the water/land thus exposing more kite to the wind, which would increase the pull from the "depowered" kite.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Any news on the Cabrinha 2014 range?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:53 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:39 pm
Posts: 2972
IWB2 wrote:
Ronnie,
The 2013 and earlier IDS Switchblade would normally stay nose/LE down once the IDS system/QR1 was activated which in my opinion was best to ensure total depower regardless of wind strength. The Xbow tended to do the opposite where it would roll on its back when the QR1 was activated.
It will be interesting to see how the new 2014 Cabrinha single front line safety system works in keeping the kite in a depowered state once the QR1 is activated. Wondering if the Cabrinha bar will be compatible with other kite brands that use a single front line safety system...?
The issue in the past that i saw with single front line safety systems, is that once the QR1 was released, the kite would be slightly off set in the water/land thus exposing more kite to the wind, which would increase the pull from the "depowered" kite.


I had one of the old 14m Contras and had to flag it to one front line when the wind picked up a little too much - not wildly overpowered.
I was in the shallows and had to pass the flagging line behind the hook of my spreader bar and pull and push the line while walking toward the kite. There was a lot of pull - maybe because of the thick leading edge and fixed bridle? With pulleys, it should help the kite adjust to a lower projected area.
Some kites seem to flag out quite well on one line and others not so much.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Any news on the Cabrinha 2014 range?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:00 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:40 am
Posts: 806
Location: Lost, where the wind meets the beach
The "thing" that kept me loyal in buying Switchbkades for my 9M and Xbow for my lightwind was Cab produced a consistent kite, year after year. The why fix it if aint broke mentality worked, at least for me. Ive seen Naish (i totally respect Robby) and other re-invent themselves every year. I never want to be the buyer in year one of any test cicyle to read next year how after a year of rider feedback major improvements have been made to kite anf/or bar. Now, it seems Naish Park is stabilizing to only tweaks, Slingy Fuels are always stable but not my thing but the Rally has been re-invented every year. Im considering going with a Bandit 6 this year for my 9 or 10m and trying to find a 13/14m kite. I had a Contra years ago, ill look at the Fuse and Dyno

What other brands consistently produce incrementaly good kites? North Rebel seems to be this type but its a 5th line, thoughts


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Any news on the Cabrinha 2014 range?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:34 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:32 pm
Posts: 832
Location: Calif. Mfg Rep
my understanding is that the 2014 control system will work on ANY and ALL previously produced Cabrinha models
steve


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Any news on the Cabrinha 2014 range?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:38 pm 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:21 am
Posts: 49
Estimated pricing for a setup? Hopefully like Apple, up the technology, keep prices at current rate.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Any news on the Cabrinha 2014 range?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:31 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:45 am
Posts: 191
Location: Canada
If the SB is no longer a bow kite, then the money they are saving by not paying for the bow patent will be directly passed on to the customers, right? There is no way that Cabrinha would just eat that extra money up and continue to increase the pricing as they have every single year since they started.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Any news on the Cabrinha 2014 range?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:44 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:14 am
Posts: 336
I dont know of any company that dont add extra prices every year, if you know of any that lowers their prices a year after please let me know!


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, JS, Okinawa Kiter and 20 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group