Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

More strutless love

forum for kitesurfers


Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2918
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:25 am
Kiting since: 12
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: More strutless love

Postby Westozzy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:15 am

I watched some strutless and one strut kites in Bali this week. Not the cloud. Man I just don't know hey, the canopy just looked weird in the air, fluffed and luffed all over the place, man I just wasn't convinced. The canopy just didn't look stable hey, not enough support. I'd hate to see it in its top third range.

But not writing them off don't get me wrong but from first inspection I wasn't impressed.

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9266
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Contact:

Re: More strutless love

Postby tautologies » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:55 am

Westozzy wrote:I watched some strutless and one strut kites in Bali this week. Not the cloud. Man I just don't know hey, the canopy just looked weird in the air, fluffed and luffed all over the place, man I just wasn't convinced. The canopy just didn't look stable hey, not enough support. I'd hate to see it in its top third range.

But not writing them off don't get me wrong but from first inspection I wasn't impressed.

Ive ridden the naish and brm quite a bit. Unless very overpowered the canopy is super tight.

User avatar
Aummm
Medium Poster
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:51 am
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Old
Gear: Cabrinha, Ozone Kites, NO STRUTLESS!
Location: Soul Riding

Re: More strutless love

Postby Aummm » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:51 pm

tautologies wrote:hmm, that might be a good thing to explore. I think being able to not be locked into conventional solutions is CRITICAL to moving forward.

tautologies wrote:
Westozzy wrote:I watched some strutless and one strut kites in Bali this week. Not the cloud. Man I just don't know hey, the canopy just looked weird in the air, fluffed and luffed all over the place, man I just wasn't convinced. The canopy just didn't look stable hey, not enough support. I'd hate to see it in its top third range.

But not writing them off don't get me wrong but from first inspection I wasn't impressed.

Ive ridden the naish and brm quite a bit. Unless very overpowered the canopy is super tight.

Westozzy, I agree :thumb:
And definitely its not for people who are suffering from elbow tendinitis :evil: :alarm:
Some people are having only visions about and feeling the board on strapless not the kite
and they try to hide the truth :duh:
Wake up people and move forward as tautologies mentioned it :!:

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9266
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Contact:

Re: More strutless love

Postby tautologies » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:55 am

Aummm wrote:Some people are having only visions about and feeling the board on strapless not the kite
and they try to hide the truth :duh:


I dare you to try to make any less sense.

User avatar
ozonelevel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 353
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:49 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Gear: North kites, Nobile, BD boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: South Florida

Re: More strutless love

Postby ozonelevel » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:05 pm

Westozzy wrote:I watched some strutless and one strut kites in Bali this week. Not the cloud. Man I just don't know hey, the canopy just looked weird in the air, fluffed and luffed all over the place, man I just wasn't convinced. The canopy just didn't look stable hey, not enough support. I'd hate to see it in its top third range.

But not writing them off don't get me wrong but from first inspection I wasn't impressed.

How about trying one instead of just watching, then you might know what you're talking about. There's lots of strutted kites that luff and flutter all over the place.

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9266
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Contact:

Re: More strutless love

Postby tautologies » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:13 pm

ozonelevel wrote:
Westozzy wrote:I watched some strutless and one strut kites in Bali this week. Not the cloud. Man I just don't know hey, the canopy just looked weird in the air, fluffed and luffed all over the place, man I just wasn't convinced. The canopy just didn't look stable hey, not enough support. I'd hate to see it in its top third range.

But not writing them off don't get me wrong but from first inspection I wasn't impressed.

How about trying one instead of just watching, then you might know what you're talking about. There's lots of strutted kites that luff and flutter all over the place.


I think Westozzy would do that if given the chance. I must say a kite in the hands of someone who does not know what they are doing is never fun to watch... :-)

CFS
Rare Poster
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:15 pm
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Jupiter, FL
Style: Newbie
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Jupiter, FL

Re: More strutless love - What's the downside?

Postby CFS » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:11 pm

I need some replacements for my Crossbows, so I've been waiting to see what Cab had for 2014. The Contra looks nice, but nothing earth shattering. The Clouds seem to at worst be comparable and at best superior to most mainstream kites on the market. (I've read and watched everything about them online)

Add the fact that they are considerably less expensive, and less complicated (fewer points of failure), why not buy a couple?

I'd say the only downside is it's hard to try before you buy, but many knowledgeable posters have attested to their performance. What's the downside?

User avatar
ozonelevel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 353
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:49 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Gear: North kites, Nobile, BD boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: South Florida

Re: More strutless love - What's the downside?

Postby ozonelevel » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:37 pm

CFS wrote:I need some replacements for my Crossbows, so I've been waiting to see what Cab had for 2014. The Contra looks nice, but nothing earth shattering. The Clouds seem to at worst be comparable and at best superior to most mainstream kites on the market. (I've read and watched everything about them online)

Add the fact that they are considerably less expensive, and less complicated (fewer points of failure), why not buy a couple?

I'd say the only downside is it's hard to try before you buy, but many knowledgeable posters have attested to their performance. What's the downside?

You're welcome to try my 13 Cloud. A friend also has a 17 Cloud which you can also try.

So far the only downside I've noted is that it doesn't feel grunty and doesn't jump as good as say an Ozone Edge. A lot has to do with technique and getting used to the different feel.

User avatar
icebird
Frequent Poster
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:26 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark

Re: More strutless love - What's the downside?

Postby icebird » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:59 pm

ozonelevel wrote:So far the only downside I've noted is that it doesn't feel grunty

I would call that an upside :)

eree
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1254
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:49 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: shallow sea

Re: More strutless love - What's the downside?

Postby eree » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:54 pm

CFS wrote:...Add the fact that they are considerably less expensive, and less complicated (fewer points of failure), why not buy a couple?...

considerably less expensive?!
CFS wrote:...I'd say the only downside is it's hard to try before you buy, but many knowledgeable posters have attested to their performance. What's the downside?

according to strutless lovers it's ok to buy the cloud without trying, but you can not comment on it without buying it first. bummer...
downside you don't have 30 days try and return policy here.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alford, Bing [Bot], Lokihel, Yahoo [Bot] and 22 guests