Help NY kiters get kite spots reopen

Forum for kitesurfers
william_rx7
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Help NY kiters get kite spots reopen

Postby william_rx7 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:58 pm

Without an organization to represent kiters, and meet with the park, this petition is B.S.
This guy is just trolling for traffic on change.org, same as last year.

Zalex820
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Plumb beach
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Zalex820 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:08 pm

edt wrote:You know what else is banned in the parks, roller skating, climbing, spitting, walking off the path, playing soccer and using swimming fins. They sit around dreaming of things that are fun and ban them.
You know I never thought about that. Now that you mentioned it, you are right. These guys are power tripping sleez bags.

Zalex820
Rare Poster

Postby Zalex820 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:18 am

william_rx7 wrote:Without an organization to represent kiters, and meet with the park, this petition is B.S.
This guy is just trolling for traffic on change.org, same as last year.
So what do you suggest we ( the people that care and are not trolls) do?

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:52 am

I am going to say that you are newer to the sport eh? This has been going on for years and nothing you do will change the result. NY and most of NJ beaches are banned for kiteboarding in the summer due to the huge amounts of people on the beaches. Sometimes no where to even sit let alone lay down. Some beaches let you ride after the guards are gone but some do not. If they say it is legal, new kiters and even some seasoned kiters will ride in the middle of thousands of beach users and hurt someone or worse. By banning it in the summer months (between Labor Day and Memorial Day) that risk becomes zero. Unless it has changed, you are only banned from the ocean side riding. I know some guys ride in the marshes. Butter flat shallow water. I started kiting in 1999 in NJ and it didn't take long for this to happen.

Zalex820
Rare Poster

Postby Zalex820 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:05 am

noel wrote:I am going to say that you are newer to the sport eh? This has been going on for years and nothing you do will change the result. NY and most of NJ beaches are banned for kiteboarding in the summer due to the huge amounts of people on the beaches. Sometimes no where to even sit let alone lay down. Some beaches let you ride after the guards are gone but some do not. If they say it is legal, new kiters and even some seasoned kiters will ride in the middle of thousands of beach users and hurt someone or worse. By banning it in the summer months (between Labor Day and Memorial Day) that risk becomes zero. Unless it has changed, you are only banned from the ocean side riding. I know some guys ride in the marshes. Butter flat shallow water. I started kiting in 1999 in NJ and it didn't take long for this to happen.
Your right I am fairly new to kiteboarding. It just bums me out that I can't even go to an open field when it's empty and landkite or even just fly static. NY is full of idiot "government" that have their heads way to far up each others asses!

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:57 am

noel wrote:Idue to the huge amounts of people on the beaches. Sometimes no where to even sit let alone lay down
they didnt have to ban it in the catskills because coney island is packed. it's ridiculous.

what you can expect from the state where a city banned extra large sodas so you have to order two drinks

Jdude
Medium Poster
Style: newschool
Gear: Xenon + Slingshot

Postby Jdude » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:27 am

done

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:40 pm

edt wrote:
noel wrote:Idue to the huge amounts of people on the beaches. Sometimes no where to even sit let alone lay down
they didnt have to ban it in the catskills because coney island is packed. it's ridiculous.

what you can expect from the state where a city banned extra large sodas so you have to order two drinks
You would be right if that were true. But it's only banned on Long Island in NY. That's where all the beaches are. People still kite in NY. Pretty sure you can still kite in Montauk, NY. (long drive) The Best Kite Center is in NY along with Island Riders and a few other schools are located on Long Island and still are in operation that I know of. People snowkiters all over NY so it is only banned in a peticular place and not the whole state.

Zalex820
Rare Poster

Postby Zalex820 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:24 pm

There are only 2 places that I know of in Brooklyn for kiteboarding.One is by seagate at the end of coney island and the 2nd is plumb beach. I live in Staten Island. I have to drive all the way there and pay a 15 dollar toll for the bridge. They should at least make a small area for us in a place or two.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:43 pm

noel wrote: You would be right if that were true. But it's only banned on Long Island in NY. That's where all the beaches are. People still kite in NY. Pretty sure you can still kite in Montauk, NY. (long drive) The Best Kite Center is in NY along with Island Riders and a few other schools are located on Long Island and still are in operation that I know of. People snowkiters all over NY so it is only banned in a peticular place and not the whole state.
NYSParksRulesRegulations.pdf

REGULATED ACTIVITIES

The following activities are prohibited on propoerty under the jurisdiction custody and control of theoffice except in areas specifically designated therefor, during such hours or seasonal periods specifically authorized and subject to such conditions as may be contained herein.

a) the throwing striking kicking or catching of any ball or other object or the conduct of any game athleticactivity or the use of any device or equipment used in any such game or activity

b) the engaging in toy or model boating or automobiling

g) Kite flying

p) bicycling

Unless you are specifically permitted you can not kiteboard. Pretty sure the only thing you are allowed to do in a new york state park is go to the park, buy a park permit, enter the park, silently stand in the designated area, and then leave.

Compared to the rules here in Michigan, we ban people from starting forest fires and dumping trash in the woods pretty much everything else goes.

Return to “Kitesurfing”