Local Beach: Grado, Marina Julija
Style: Freeride
Gear: Blade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Moving to C-Kites.

Postby Motion » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:51 pm

Just got some Blade Primes (4line c-hybrid) and holy shit unhooking got so much easier compare to all around SLE kite i had before. Relaunch is very quick, unhooking is superb. Mind that there is very little boost or lift over head, (or i haven't figured out how to yet).

If you decided for wake style go with one of new 4 line hybrid C kites.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:27 am

Motion wrote:Just got some Blade Primes (4line c-hybrid) and holy shit unhooking got so much easier compare to all around SLE kite i had before. Relaunch is very quick, unhooking is superb. Mind that there is very little boost or lift over head, (or i haven't figured out how to yet).
The KiteWorldMag review for the Prime 2013 said they did not have the lift/boost that they raved about in the 2011 and 2012 model Prime reviews....I think the redesign was a big mistake on Blade's part.
The 2011 and 2012 Primes boost great.

jats2k9
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft Lauderdale
Miami beach
Style: Wakestyle, Freestyle
Gear: Best

Postby jats2k9 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:45 am

dyyylan wrote:because the choppy mess we have here is annoying to ride with a c kite, the wind is often too light and the chop forces you to work the kite the entire session, so i settled for a kite that still gives great pop, and has slack, and is also great for when i ride a surfboard. instant relaunch and 4 lines were icing on the cake

if you have any questions on what the transition is like hit me up, I was in exactly your position, I could jump and do backrolls when I switched over
Since you mentioned, my local spot is choppy water, small waves, and light wind 13knots sometimes 20+.

Motion
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 90
Local Beach: Grado, Marina Julija
Style: Freeride
Gear: Blade

Postby Motion » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:36 am

Oldnbroken wrote:
Motion wrote:Just got some Blade Primes (4line c-hybrid) and holy shit unhooking got so much easier compare to all around SLE kite i had before. Relaunch is very quick, unhooking is superb. Mind that there is very little boost or lift over head, (or i haven't figured out how to yet).
The KiteWorldMag review for the Prime 2013 said they did not have the lift/boost that they raved about in the 2011 and 2012 model Prime reviews....I think the redesign was a big mistake on Blade's part.
The 2011 and 2012 Primes boost great.
Maybe, I though i miss boosting, but i dont really miss that part, because it performs so good off the hook.

Farmerr
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wasaga/Simcoe
Favorite Beaches: Oliphant
Style: Nube
Gear: 2009 9M Cabrinha convert, 2012 12M Cabrinha Vector
2009 131x40 Nobile NHP, 2012 142x44 Airush Switch
Brand Affiliation: Brooklands Farm

Postby Farmerr » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:33 pm

jats2k9 wrote:
dyyylan wrote:because the choppy mess we have here is annoying to ride with a c kite, the wind is often too light and the chop forces you to work the kite the entire session, so i settled for a kite that still gives great pop, and has slack, and is also great for when i ride a surfboard. instant relaunch and 4 lines were icing on the cake

if you have any questions on what the transition is like hit me up, I was in exactly your position, I could jump and do backrolls when I switched over
Since you mentioned, my local spot is choppy water, small waves, and light wind 13knots sometimes 20+.
I'm in the exact sane situation, can do backrolls etc. And just went out and got a sweet deal on 2011 fuels. My place is also light wind and chop (ontario). I'm a little worried about upwind ability, but i figure workibg the kite will get me there.. hope i don't regret getting the fuels. But really want to get into wakestyle stuff.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:55 pm

Farmerr wrote:
jats2k9 wrote:

I'm in the exact sane situation, can do backrolls etc. And just went out and got a sweet deal on 2011 fuels. My place is also light wind and chop (ontario). I'm a little worried about upwind ability, but i figure workibg the kite will get me there.. hope i don't regret getting the fuels. But really want to get into wakestyle stuff.
To say you want to ride c-kites is one thing but to say you want to ride c-kites so you can learn wake style is just stupid. Plenty of great sle kites that will give better range without many drawbacks. SS RPM, LF Envy, Airush Varial X, Cab Switchblades are just a few. I had Fuels from '03 - '06. Great kites! They have gotten better over the years. I think sticking with sle kites will give better range and safety to learn new tricks and once you can do back to blind, s-bend to blind, blind judge, mobes, etc...., jumping on a c-kites may or may not help in your progression.

Remember when the shit hits the fan with a c-kite, you can't just let go and wait for depower.

susanmg
Rare Poster
Local Beach: NYC/NJ

Postby susanmg » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:16 pm

I recently made the switch to C kites (RRD Obsession Pros). Relaunch takes a little getting used to and then is not a big deal. The newer c-kites (obsession pros, best gps, etc) have some depower in the bar (more than some of the older ones), but you need to be comfortable powering and depowering the kite with your board (edging the kite to the edge of the wind window or riding down wind to drop it more in the power zone). I was pleasantly surprised with how much I like boosting on the Obsession Pro - you do have to pop as you send the kite (can't cheat like some of the SLEs and just send and sheet in), but you are rewarded with a really lofty jump. It probably doesn't go quite as high as the Obsession (more SLE type kite), but I think the hang time is better.

If you can, try to get somewhere where you can demo a c-kite and see how it feels. Don't expect everything to go perfectly as there is always a bit of a learning curve, but you should be able to get a sense of if you like them or not.

OCKiter
Medium Poster

Postby OCKiter » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:22 am

noel wrote: To say you want to ride c-kites is one thing but to say you want to ride c-kites so you can learn wake style is just stupid. Plenty of great sle kites that will give better range without many drawbacks. SS RPM, LF Envy, Airush Varial X, Cab Switchblades are just a few. I had Fuels from '03 - '06. Great kites! They have gotten better over the years. I think sticking with sle kites will give better range and safety to learn new tricks and once you can do back to blind, s-bend to blind, blind judge, mobes, etc...., jumping on a c-kites may or may not help in your progression.

Remember when the shit hits the fan with a c-kite, you can't just let go and wait for depower.
I disagree. As long as you've rigged the right size c-kite, wakestyle tricks are way easier on c-kites than SLEs. You actually get slack if you pop correctly. It's easier to pull the bar in. They're less prone to sheeting so a gust won't pull you off your edge as you load up. It doesn't pull you off axis as you're rotating in the air. Just better in every way. I'm pretty familiar with Switchblades, and I can't even imagine trying to learn half the things I've learned on that kite. RPMs are good all around kites and unhook ok, but I still say it's easier to progress unhooked on a Fuel.

Maybe if you kite inland in a super gusty area. Even then, no, because I've kited in Aruba and still wouldn't trade my Fuel for an SLE. ;)

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:24 am

OCKiter wrote:
noel wrote: To say you want to ride c-kites is one thing but to say you want to ride c-kites so you can learn wake style is just stupid. Plenty of great sle kites that will give better range without many drawbacks. SS RPM, LF Envy, Airush Varial X, Cab Switchblades are just a few. I had Fuels from '03 - '06. Great kites! They have gotten better over the years. I think sticking with sle kites will give better range and safety to learn new tricks and once you can do back to blind, s-bend to blind, blind judge, mobes, etc...., jumping on a c-kites may or may not help in your progression.

I disagree. As long as you've rigged the right size c-kite, wakestyle tricks are way easier on c-kites than SLEs. You actually get slack if you pop correctly. It's easier to pull the bar in. They're less prone to sheeting so a gust won't pull you off your edge as you load up. It doesn't pull you off axis as you're rotating in the air. Just better in every way. I'm pretty familiar with Switchblades, and I can't even imagine trying to learn half the things I've learned on that kite. RPMs are good all around kites and unhook ok, but I still say it's easier to progress unhooked on a Fuel.

Maybe if you kite inland in a super gusty area. Even then, no, because I've kited in Aruba and still wouldn't trade my Fuel for an SLE. ;)
Agree and disagree. He said he can do back rolls. That's it. The slack you talk about is noticeable once you start learning how to edge and pop. Just as you say, if the kite is rigged right for the right wind, things are easier. Dre rode Switchblade and your right that he must suck and gets pulled downwind when unhooking. Now he rides RPMs and they are ok too as you say. Ask Youri. The point I am trying to make is where he is at right now, a c-kite won't help him progress as fast. But hey, you know better. Right?

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:46 am

noel wrote:
Completely disagree with this statement. Then again maybe I'm using my Fuels wrong since even though I ride suicide they stop pulling when the kite hits the water. You can all so rig them to flag out on one line if the wind is really strong for safety.

I know people think that sle's are super safe and if the shit hits the fan as you say. It does not matter what kite your on because there are so many variables between wind and water conditions. Chances are that you won't even have time to react to some bad situations. You can easily release a kite if it is your life or your gear that is on the line.

You are correct though you don't need a C-kite to learn wake style. Just willing to take a beating and wear some boots. Kite low and powered is the name of the game.

Return to “Kitesurfing”