Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Moving to C-Kites.

Postby noel » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:01 am

TheJoe wrote:
noel wrote:
Remember when the shit hits the fan with a c-kite, you can't just let go and wait for depower.
Completely disagree with this statement. Then again maybe I'm using my Fuels wrong since even though I ride suicide they stop pulling when the kite hits the water. You can all so rig them to flag out on one line if the wind is really strong for safety.
Now your just playing with words. All kites stop pulling when they hit the water but not when they are in the air still flying thus the reason you are going to take a bit more abuse on a c-kite. Most kites can and do flag to a single front line when not riding suicide. Doesn't matter if it a c or sle.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:33 am

Saw a guy with a Naish Torch and was amazed at how fast it turned, it looked like a lot of fun to fly.

jats2k9
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft Lauderdale
Miami beach
Style: Wakestyle, Freestyle
Gear: Best

Postby jats2k9 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:35 am

Well, the reason why I would like to try C kites (other than getting into wakestyle), is because of the quick reaction to input these kites have (I have noticed this on videos, and on the few C kite riders at my spot. I've never tried one) . I cannot say that I have a defined style, but I can definitely say from what I've felt when riding is that I would love to have this fast reaction on my kites. I want the kite to turn as soon as I pull the bar.

Farmerr
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wasaga/Simcoe
Favorite Beaches: Oliphant
Style: Nube
Gear: 2009 9M Cabrinha convert, 2012 12M Cabrinha Vector
2009 131x40 Nobile NHP, 2012 142x44 Airush Switch
Brand Affiliation: Brooklands Farm

Postby Farmerr » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:49 am

So I've been kiting for 5 months. I just started landing backrolls and little airs I am fine with (bigger ones getting better at), tried some raleys but failed..I also like riding aggressively.

Maybe some would say I'm jumping into the fuels too soon but its too late.. my 13m fuel arrived yesterday and I have the rest of the quiver on the way. So I took it out today with my new boots in 18 gusting 25 knots (I'm 165lbs). Its f@#@ sick!! WAY faster than my 12m vector (i'm selling it now), gusts wern't bad at all on the kite. I was keeping in mind edging technique and edging hard when over powered, and using the board to force the kite to the edge of the window (boots really help with this, amazing board control difference over straps imo). Also I found the kite really stable when cruzing. bar pressure great, which I kept me aware of where the kite was. I really needed to put bar input in for the kite to move, and when I did, it was blazing quick. Perfect.

I can't really imagine how this kite could limit me in any way at this point, even if I am pretty new at this. Love my new C and my earlier worries have faded. Now I can't wait to get out again this time with a helmet, cause bailing with boots really makes for some faceplants.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:51 am

jats2k9 wrote:Well, the reason why I would like to try C kites (other than getting into wakestyle), is because of the quick reaction to input these kites have (I have noticed this on videos, and on the few C kite riders at my spot. I've never tried one) . I cannot say that I have a defined style, but I can definitely say from what I've felt when riding is that I would love to have this fast reaction on my kites. I want the kite to turn as soon as I pull the bar.
It looks like it would feel great to be so directly connected to the kite and how it responds.

OCKiter
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby OCKiter » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:55 am

noel wrote: Agree and disagree. He said he can do back rolls. That's it. The slack you talk about is noticeable once you start learning how to edge and pop. Just as you say, if the kite is rigged right for the right wind, things are easier. Dre rode Switchblade and your right that he must suck and gets pulled downwind when unhooking. Now he rides RPMs and they are ok too as you say. Ask Youri. The point I am trying to make is where he is at right now, a c-kite won't help him progress as fast. But hey, you know better. Right?
Getting personal, eh? I don't claim to know better than Youri or Dre, but I can hold my own, and in my experience it has been way easier to learn new wakestyle tricks on a c-kite than an SLE. Everyone always brings up Dre and Youri. If I was a douchebag, I'd ask you if you know better than Aaron, Ruben, Alex, Reno, Kevin, Andy, Karolina, Gisela, Bruna, and so on. But I'm not, so I won't.

In my opinion, the real question is what kite is it easier to progress and learn new stuff? I mean even I can take a Switchblade and throw a whole bunch of tricks that I already have locked. For the reasons I've already said (plus the bar feedback like the above poster pointed out - SLEs are spongey), I dare to say a c-kite is easy mode when it comes to wakestyle progressing, unless there are other factors like you need to be able to relaunch immediately, your beach is super light wind all the time, etc.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:23 am

OCKiter wrote: If I was a douchebag, I'd ask you if you know better than Aaron, Ruben, Alex, Reno, Kevin, Andy, Karolina, Gisela, Bruna, and so on. But I'm not, so I won't.
You just did!

All these PROS already learned these tricks before they became PROS. That's where a c-kite shines!

Not personal at all but we all have opinions. I for one don't think c-kites are more dangerous than sle kites. I learned on 2 line foil kites. Rode c-kites on pulley bars for years.

magic%20Ed
Frequent Poster

Postby magic%20Ed » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:30 am

noel wrote:I for one don't think c-kites are more dangerous than sle kites. I learned on 2 line foil kites. Rode c-kites on pulley bars for years.
But, than you are one of the living dead! This is impossible, riding a C kite, specially with a pulley, means a certain death!!!
Last edited by magic%20Ed on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

OCKiter
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby OCKiter » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:59 am

noel wrote:
You just did!
Yeah, I know. ;)
noel wrote:
All these PROS already learned these tricks before they became PROS. That's where a c-kite shines!
So you're agreeing that it's easier to learn wakestyle tricks on c-kites? That was my whole point.

noel wrote:
Not personal at all but we all have opinions. I for one don't think c-kites are more dangerous than sle kites. I learned on 2 line foil kites. Rode c-kites on pulley bars for years.
I'm confused. I never said otherwise, but you did. From your earlier post...
noel wrote: I think sticking with sle kites will give better range and safety...
Remember when the shit hits the fan with a c-kite, you can't just let go and wait for depower.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:33 pm

C kites aren't all about wake style, they offer direct feel and predictable handling. As a unhooked newbie (which I still am :P ) I found C kites to be much more user friendly, the bow kites that I were using would just yank me straight off the water when unhooked and would basically keep pulling until well after I had landed. The C kites would give a nice pull when loaded and as soon as I was airbourne the pull reduces so you don't get spanked - slack with regard to unhooked isn't just for the pros doing mobes etc it also for us mere mortals. In addition C kites just behave alot better unhooked, after crashing the kite will just go to 12 and sit there and can be hooked in very easily wheras bow kites you have to fight them. The myth about C kites is that they are power machines - in certain circumstances they are but in general they are more stable, smoother through the sky, have more predictable power production and behave in a consistent and predictable manner when unhooked.

Disadvantages???? None :thumb:

In all seriousness - disadvantages are not as great wind range so sometime you need more kites, relaunch not as easy as bows (but this will only take a few sessions to sort out so it isn't really a problem), a bit more harder on the arms and legs than some of the bow kites and you have to wear boardies over your wetties, ride boots and call everyone bro...is is it bra or blood????

I fly C kites but would have thought about going over to bow kites next as I'm getting old and can't maintain the fitness for getting the most out of my C kites, have dodgy elbows so would like something a bit more user friendly......maybe :-?

As for C kites not depowering when you let go of the bar - where have you been for the last 5 years? I fly Torches suicide and they depower more than enough when the bar is dropped, certainly on par with some bow kites that I have ridden as do pretty much all the C kites on the market today - its actually better to ride suicide as if you drop the bar the kite will give you a softer landing, last thing you want is the kite to leash out when you are mid air :o

Return to “Kitesurfing”