Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Removing ball in the inflate valve....

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Removing ball in the inflate valve....

Postby Laughingman » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:40 pm

Okay I do not like these little balls in my inflate valve. Is there a way to remove them without having to replace the valve? I know what there for and i dont need them. They rarely work properly anyhow.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Removing ball in the inflate valve....

Postby edt » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:42 pm

Laughingman wrote:Okay I do not like these little balls in my inflate valve. Is there a way to remove them without having to replace the valve? I know what there for and i dont need them. They rarely work properly anyhow.
agree I hate those things just make it harder to pump up and deflate.

you have to be careful here. Get a screwdriver or a knife or a hemostat, put it inside the valve and cut away or remove the retaining plastic basket that keeps the ball inside the valve, and let the ball fall inside the bladder or strut. Don't rip the other side of the bladder!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:19 pm

Thanks edt. The hemostat worked perfectly. I was actually able to pull the ball out through the valve using a small bent nose hemostat.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Slappysan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:36 pm

I hate not having one way inflate values.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:04 pm

Personally the only good one way valve I have used is the Cabrinha inflate/dump valve. I have seen some new ones that have potential but I have not tested one, the little ball is just a pain in the ass and once you get used to pumping and closing the valve quickly you get used to it. The ball interferes with the flow of air, with my dual stage electric pump it takes twice as long to fill the kite with the ball then without the ball so it is worth getting rid of.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:02 pm

Laughingman wrote:Thanks edt. The hemostat worked perfectly. I was actually able to pull the ball out through the valve using a small bent nose hemostat.
u didnt have to do that! once the ball is inside the bladder roll it around until it comes out the deflate valve. I have never been able to pull one out from the inflate using a hemostat, you have the hands of a surgeon.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:24 am

Laughingman wrote:Personally the only good one way valve I have used is the Cabrinha inflate/dump valve. I have seen some new ones that have potential but I have not tested one, the little ball is just a pain in the ass and once you get used to pumping and closing the valve quickly you get used to it. The ball interferes with the flow of air, with my dual stage electric pump it takes twice as long to fill the kite with the ball then without the ball so it is worth getting rid of.
Ditto. The Ozone one looks good, and LF Max Flow is great too.

I've only the one kite with a 'regular' valve, and it's a 17 :o real effort to pump. And last session, the hose popped off the nozzle from all the pressure!

Return to “Kitesurfing”