Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Don't use glue fixes on the kite

Forum for kitesurfers
marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Don't use glue fixes on the kite

Postby marlboroughman » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:59 am

I got another kite for repair that was repaired with glue and screen. Guys don't do it. It is the worst thing to work on afterword. It will not hold the leading edge. It will stick to your bladder. The canopy can not be sewn after. It's a bloody mess. If you do your kite is worth 0 $ for sure. Put some ripstop tape on the canopy or dacron tape on leading edge which can be sewed after. That's it.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Don't use glue fixes on the kite

Postby William Munney » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:16 am

marlboroughman wrote:I got another kite for repair that was repaired with glue and screen. Guys don't do it. It is the worst thing to work on afterword. It will not hold the leading edge. It will stick to your bladder. The canopy can not be sewn after. It's a bloody mess. If you do your kite is worth 0 $ for sure. Put some ripstop tape on the canopy or dacron tape on leading edge which can be sewed after. That's it.
+1 Also, if it's a large rip a good sail shop can replace a whole panel for $50.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:25 am

Panel replacement is not the best option in most cases. The ripstop is stretched from inside out and forms a shape. When you replace a panel using new ripstop it will also stretch but now it will be stretched more than original and become baggy. Using ripstop tape is the best option in my opinion. It requires a top sewing machine though. I wish they made Taijin Ripstop Tape in original thickness using 3M adhesive that would be the absolute best.

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:03 am

I suspected as much. But any tempory repair will contain some glue and just saying use ripstop tape does not make sense to me. What exactly?
And how about Tear Aid Type A?

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:52 am

No Tearaid just Ripstop tape. Tearaid is for bladders. Why you have a problem with ripstop tape? It has adhesive backing. Why anyone thinks glue with screen rubber or any other crap is better than original ripstop. If it was the case they would be making kites out of it.

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:03 pm

No problem, just seeking info in case I have to improvise.

Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Gigi;) » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:33 pm

I'd sure advise to go and fix the kite @ pro's especially bigger tear, but sometimes you simply dont have another option to glue the kite together. Glued kite, if done correctly, will withstand a lot of crashing. And with good machine you can sew over the glue.

(I've actually kite with this kite several times thru a great 2 weeks staying on Sardinia, in some strong winds 20+kts)

We are using lighter ripstop tapes where possible on both sides of the kite, plus sewed sealed, we found it better than only one layer of heavier ripstop, but we stock virtually all colors of LL175 (dacron) and teijin T9600 (canopy) fabrics for doing panel replacing or for more demanding customers.

:bye:
marlboroughman wrote:Panel replacement is not the best option in most cases. The ripstop is stretched from inside out and forms a shape. When you replace a panel using new ripstop it will also stretch but now it will be stretched more than original and become baggy. Using ripstop tape is the best option in my opinion. It requires a top sewing machine though. I wish they made Taijin Ripstop Tape in original thickness using 3M adhesive that would be the absolute best.
Last edited by Gigi;) on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m
Been thanked: 0

Postby William Munney » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:45 pm

[quote="Gigi;)"]I'd sure advise to go and fix the kite @ pro's especially bigger tear, but sometimes you simply dont have another option to glue the kite together. Glued kite, if done correctly, will withstand a lot of crashing. And with good machine you can sew over the glue.

[vimeo]https://www.vimeo.com/48168480[/vimeo]
(I've actually kite with this kite several times thru a great 2 weeks staying on Sardinia, in some strong winds 20+kts)

We are using lighter ripstop tapes where possible on both sides of the kite, plus sewed sealed, we found it better than only one layer of heavier ripstop, but we stock virtually all colors of LL175 (dacron) and teijin T9600 (canopy) fabrics for doing panel replacing or for more demanding customers.

What is your opinion on panel replacement?

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:16 pm

William Munney wrote:
Gigi;) wrote:I'd sure advise to go and fix the kite @ pro's especially bigger tear, but sometimes you simply dont have another option to glue the kite together. Glued kite, if done correctly, will withstand a lot of crashing. And with good machine you can sew over the glue.

[vimeo]https://www.vimeo.com/48168480[/vimeo]

What is your opinion on panel replacement?
Panel replacement will all ways change the way a kite flies. The sail stretches from use. If you replace a panel then you have pre-stretched fabric from use and a panel that is cut too match the all ready stretched fabric. In the end you will have a panel that will stretch more because it was too big to begin with.

Only way to do a panel is to do all of them and at that point it is probably better just to buy a new kite.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:11 am

I think the original poster's point is to not use fabric and smear glue all over it to stick it down. Adhesive sail repair tape is fine.

If I had a newish kite or a leading edge seam then I might get a professional to repair it. Sewing multiple layers of dacron in a thin fold over (like an LE seam) is quite difficult, especially if it has reinforcing filament down the seam.

If the kite is a bit older and the damage is on a panel I'm going to just tape it and maybe sew the edges. It's easy to do and the repairs last just fine.

Kites are consumable items and you want smash them and bash them and wear them out so you can get new ones. Riding an old Frankenstein kite is kind of cool, especially if you can charge past the kiter with all the new gear but no idea.

Return to “Kitesurfing”