Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Full Carbon Kiteboard Construction

Postby William Munney » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:31 am

I've been following the threads on the CF Raptor Pro, the Core Cartan carbon board, etc.. Is full carbon the way to go? Some questions:

Is there any loss of durability as opposed to glass or glass/carbon combinations?

If carbon fiber is stiff, why are these boards reportedly good at soaking up shock?

Is UV degradation a problem with clear epoxy over the carbon fiber mat as opposed to an ABS layer?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Full Carbon Kiteboard Construction

Postby BWD » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:49 am

Carbon cloth not mat.
UV is a problem with the resin not the fibers.
Appropriate resins have UV inhibitors.
I'm not sure there's any point but bragging rights to a carbon-only laminate in kiteboards...
Flex and toughness/damage tolerance are good...

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:18 am

William Munney wrote: Is there any loss of durability as opposed to glass or glass/carbon combinations?
Yes impact toughness is lost as glass will flex more and be able to absorb considerably more energy in impact prior to exceeding it's ultimate strength. Not really a concern with wood cores, as the skin is fully supported and the wood takes the load. But it begs the question why are you mixing wood and carbon fiber?
William Munney wrote: If carbon fiber is stiff, why are these boards reportedly good at soaking up shock?
The thickness of the board is the dominant variable when it comes to flex. the thicker the board the stiffer. So you would make it thinner than a comparable glass board and it would flex the same. or more depending how thin you went.
William Munney wrote: Is full carbon the way to go?
I can build a glass board that is lighter and/or stronger in impact than a carbon board.
However of the two, the carbon board will sell first and for considerably more money :-?

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:00 am

I have a BYS board which is 3 years old now, I hit rocks with it and it survived impacts better than the glass boards I had. Water Level gets low so you hit stacks of rocks here and there. The thing with carbone is that it flexes but has a much much faster reflex response so it takes it's shape back faster... It is more snappy if I can express myself this way...carbon is lighter than Glass bar none, if someone can make lighter glass board, they cut on skin tickness, etc.

joe weiss
Medium Poster

Postby joe weiss » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:05 am

I gave my brother my old f.one board. it is carbon with wood core and about 7 years old. Board still looks like new.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:08 am

Johnny Rotten wrote:
I can build a glass board that is lighter and/or stronger in impact than a carbon board.
However of the two, the carbon board will sell first and for considerably more money :-?
Hehe no you can't. You can build a heavier stronger board or lighter and weaker. But you can't make a stronger lighter board with glass instead of carbon.

FrederikS
Frequent Poster

Postby FrederikS » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:25 am

Glass and carbon laminates have roughly the same toughness if manufactured well. From a durability point of view they are exactly the same with the carbon fiber laminates being lighter.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:28 am

I have the Carved Cartan Imp 5 it is so good. Smooth, eats chop up, crazy pop dawg it is the best board I have owned in years. I think tt's just keep getting better, I rode FOne trax before and loved the ride also. I live in Brasil and ride all types of conditions.

Return to “Kitesurfing”