*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 461 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 47  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:08 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:38 am
Posts: 107
Location: Seattle
boardriding maui wrote:
Instead of making gear obsolete my hope is to provide something like a software update so riders can continue to get the latest and greatest in the gear they already have.


Awesome idea!!! Can't wait to see what new mods await


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:08 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Posts: 8404
Location: Oahu
diogovilla wrote:
Can any rider comment on the cloud's bar pressure? (i'm used to the switchblade bar pressure). Tks.


It is fine. Definitely not heavy on the bar.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:08 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Posts: 8404
Location: Oahu
Osprey1 wrote:
boardriding maui wrote:
Instead of making gear obsolete my hope is to provide something like a software update so riders can continue to get the latest and greatest in the gear they already have.


Awesome idea!!! Can't wait to see what new mods await



Agree!!!


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:48 pm 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:48 am
Posts: 30
tautologies wrote:
diogovilla wrote:
Can any rider utmment on the cloud's bar pressure? (i'm used to the switchblade bar pressure). Tks.


It is fine. Definitely not heavy on the bar.


I would say it depends on the size. The 17m has higher bar pressure and the 6m is low. If you are used to 2012 switchblades then you are fine. 2013 sblades are lighter so you will notice a change there.

I second Greg' s customer support, it's just plain interesting. The issue with expanding faster imo is lack of local support ( if you are not in Maui), very hard to try them out (we all took a leap of faith with our first one) and little information online... just a couple of vids on youtube, this thread and little else)

I'm loving my 17m, and i urge everyone to try it out, but that takes a long time to spread the word, especially because you are usually alone when flying the 17m :)

If you see oneout there, try it!


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:08 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:16 am
Posts: 57
Vacaloca wrote:
tautologies wrote:
diogovilla wrote:
Can any rider utmment on the cloud's bar pressure? (i'm used to the switchblade bar pressure). Tks.


It is fine. Definitely not heavy on the bar.


I would say it depends on the size. The 17m has higher bar pressure and the 6m is low. If you are used to 2012 switchblades then you are fine. 2013 sblades are lighter so you will notice a change there.


I'm considering changing my 14m switchblade 2010 to a 13m cloud. I have a neck problem and bar pressure is a MAJOR ISSUE to me. Do you think I'm going to experience a heavier bar with the cloud?

Is there something else you couldd compare between a 14m switchblade 2010 and a 13m cloud? Wich one is gruntier?

Thank you VERY MUCH!


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:32 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:49 pm
Posts: 347
Location: South Florida
diogovilla wrote:
I'm considering changing my 14m switchblade 2010 to a 13m cloud. I have a neck problem and bar pressure is a MAJOR ISSUE to me. Do you think I'm going to experience a heavier bar with the cloud?

Is there something else you couldd compare between a 14m switchblade 2010 and a 13m cloud? Wich one is gruntier?

Thank you VERY MUCH!


The 13m Cloud has way less bar pressure than the 14m SB. You can steer the Cloud one handed easily. Some people would say the SB is gruntier (see grunt discussion above)


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:42 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:23 pm
Posts: 429
Location: drtuba.eu, kite-stuff.org, eXtremist.si, kajtar.si
funny, you compared it with the probably hardest on the bar of all kites especially in the 1st models.

in most cases deltish kites equipped with 3-Y cascade bridles (plus pulleys) will have medium to harder pressure. Pressure may increase with bigger sizes. You probably wont be able to tune it for less pressure within this/current configuration a lot... but you can quite easily try it yourself, pls read one example below (VERY generalized interpretation) and keep in mind that you may change the characteristics of your kite also in the "wrong" way (normally the designer will know the correct bridle for the kite that's why it is equipped with it!).

1. I want a bit more freestyle feeling out of my kite:

- lets try to make it fixed bridle (no pulleys), with pivot point more to the wingtip

2. How to approx. "correctly" make pulley-less bridle

- shot the kite in the air, make as clean front view "2D" shot as possible
- get the picture into CAD sw and measure approx proportion of the lengths
- measure original bridled line (we will focus here on the lower most bridle cascade, the one which connects the flying lines below)
- calculate correct lengts of new lines

Now you can mount the new bridle and hope that your new bridle will look 99% original a-like. This will add a bit different behavior to the kite. BUT for more freestyle feeling you will need to move the pivot point more to the wingtips...

3. Set up a tunning options

- shorten one of the new bridle say by 15cm
- make a simple, longer pigtail like 30cm with multiple fig8 knots on it. One of the knot (say middle) is on 15cm length
- mount pigtail to the shortened bridle line on the bottom Y connection point

Now, if you re-connect the bridle to that 15cm mark knot (position 0) you get the same bridle as before. BUT as soon as you will connect to a different knot you will move pivot point left or right...

Get the idea...? :thumb: :bye:

(depending of the bridle type you may need to work out the other cascades too...)
(pls note too that with each mod of the bridle you will gain something and also LOOSE something on the performance or behavior of the kite - well except if its mounted with the bad bridle in the first place...)

ozonelevel wrote:
diogovilla wrote:
I'm considering changing my 14m switchblade 2010 to a 13m cloud. I have a neck problem and bar pressure is a MAJOR ISSUE to me. Do you think I'm going to experience a heavier bar with the cloud?

Is there something else you couldd compare between a 14m switchblade 2010 and a 13m cloud? Wich one is gruntier?

Thank you VERY MUCH!


The 13m Cloud has way less bar pressure than the 14m SB. You can steer the Cloud one handed easily. Some people would say the SB is gruntier (see grunt discussion above)


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:30 am 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:16 am
Posts: 57
Gigi;) wrote:
funny, you compared it with the probably hardest on the bar of all kites especially in the 1st models.


There has been quite some time since the switchblade had a heavy bar. The 2013 bar is REALLY soft.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:37 am 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:16 am
Posts: 57
ozonelevel wrote:
The 13m Cloud has way less bar pressure than the 14m SB. You can steer the Cloud one handed easily. Some people would say the SB is gruntier (see grunt discussion above)


I couldn't find any comparison between the SB and the Cloud in the discussion you mentioned. If you can, please send me the link.

I'm a heavy guy, so the "gruntyness" of the Switchblade is important to me. I also have a neck problem, and the SB light bar helps a lot. Changing to the cloud will be a tough decision which I am carefully considering. Thanks.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:54 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:49 pm
Posts: 347
Location: South Florida
diogovilla wrote:
ozonelevel wrote:
The 13m Cloud has way less bar pressure than the 14m SB. You can steer the Cloud one handed easily. Some people would say the SB is gruntier (see grunt discussion above)


I couldn't find any comparison between the SB and the Cloud in the discussion you mentioned. If you can, please send me the link.

I'm a heavy guy, so the "gruntyness" of the Switchblade is important to me. I also have a neck problem, and the SB light bar helps a lot. Changing to the cloud will be a tough decision which I am carefully considering. Thanks.


Try here;
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2381295


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 461 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 47  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Air_Pharaoh, Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, OzBungy, SonnyRider, Telekiter and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group