Crocket
Rare Poster
Local Beach: X
Favorite Beaches: Puerto Plata
Style: Free-/Wakestyle
Brand Affiliation: None

How do I train perfectly? - Wakestyle moves

Postby Crocket » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:30 pm

It's me again... after I am now more consistent on simple passes I'd like to go on.
But I wonder, how one should train to get the fastest progress.

At the moment I just go for a move, when it feels right, after I did tons of exercises on my pass simulator, but I don't plan a session for practicing just a single trick. :-?

And do you put your kite a bit higher on first tries or put it on a regular 45 degrees position?

What is the best method in your opinion? :wink:

elliott george
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Newgale
Favorite Beaches: Newgale
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Takoon lux 133x40
hadlow pro 13
Blade prime 9
Hyperlite remix
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How do I train perfectly? - Wakestyle moves

Postby elliott george » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:53 pm

Different people train differently, but if I try to go for one move all session ill get frustrated and start doing stupid mistakes and start going backwards. Try to mix it up and keep it fun. It'll keep you more motivated and your confidence up.

Referring to kite angle, go for a move with kite higher and then move it lower. My mate refuses to do any move with his kite above 45 :-? And lectures me every time I land with a kite at 11. Then again he spends a lot more time with his kite in the water than me so his 45 degree rule isn't working out for him :thumb:

Dustfarter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: La
Been thanked: 0

Postby Dustfarter » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:09 am

Go do some wake boarding if possible. Cable wakeboarding is especially good at building solid wakestyle skills as it's almost dead center in terms of feel between boat wakeboarding ( really hard and unforgiving) and wakestyle kiteboarding.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:04 pm

elliott george wrote: Referring to kite angle, go for a move with kite higher and then move it lower. My mate refuses to do any move with his kite above 45 :-? And lectures me every time I land with a kite at 11. Then again he spends a lot more time with his kite in the water than me so his 45 degree rule isn't working out for him :thumb:
I dunno I kind of disagree with this. To an extent, yes I think keeping the kite high helps as it gives you a little more lift, but it makes things feel super awkward. I find doing anything with kite above 45 degrees pulls me off balance a lot more. The only time I need a high kite is on those 10 knot days when you're just riding downwind and walking back...

Crocket
Rare Poster
Local Beach: X
Favorite Beaches: Puerto Plata
Style: Free-/Wakestyle

Postby Crocket » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:07 pm

Thanks a lot for you input :wink:

I tend to land tricks with my kite angle at abou 9:30 to 10:00, because my best freestyle spots are mostly shallow and I 'm afraid of massive wipeouts. But for passes 45 dgrs. is most comfortable.

And one more question...

Do you drag your backfoot on S-Bend passes, like you normally would on a front to blind or dou you prefer to go into full raley before.

Somehow I lose to much momentum by doing a full raley: So I can't get it down this way. :x
If I cheat on the trick, I'll be able to get it, but it's bit ugly. :oops:

Any recommendations?

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:59 pm

Crocket wrote:Thanks a lot for you input :wink:

I tend to land tricks with my kite angle at abou 9:30 to 10:00, because my best freestyle spots are mostly shallow and I 'm afraid of massive wipeouts. But for passes 45 dgrs. is most comfortable.

And one more question...

Do you drag your backfoot on S-Bend passes, like you normally would on a front to blind or dou you prefer to go into full raley before.

Somehow I lose to much momentum by doing a full raley: So I can't get it down this way. :x
If I cheat on the trick, I'll be able to get it, but it's bit ugly. :oops:

Any recommendations?
Do everything you would for a raley but start looking as you release your edge.

As far as learning goes you just have to throw and take your beatings. Develop muscle memory as you progress.

:edit:
100% agree with the kite low. If you want to learn it for wakestyle then learn with the kite low.

Return to “Kitesurfing”