Forum for kitesurfers
KLK
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Epic Screamer

Postby KLK » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:03 am

So I've been thinking about the Epic Screamer for this season. I'll ignore all the internet hype about the kite as I do with all kites but there is one real question that I can't work out. Why the hell would I want to buy last years kite for this years price when there is already a new Screamer model, the 4G 10m LTD (which is obviously better than last because otherwise what's the point in bringing out a new one). We are told that the 10m LTD is the "concept kite for the next iteration of the Screamers" (I'm assuming ireration means edition) so in buying a new 4G Screamer I actually just buying a Screamer 3G 10m LTD resized and renamed as a 4G Screamer.

If the 4G Screamer LTD is good enough to sell customers at full price then why would Epic not make the whole line up the same? As far as I can work out you're either buying the 4G Screamer LTD which is a prototype for next years kites or you're buying the 4G Screamer at full price but it's actually last years model.

Either way it seems like at best a marketing trick or at worst a con.

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise

Re: Epic Screamer

Postby Geronimo79 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:55 am

The 10m LTD is not for everyone. The kite usually is more for advanced riders. There are some differences between a 10 from last year and a new normal screamer.

I do have to say the 4G 10 is a easy kite to me but i also grown into them over the last years. But overall a 10m LTD asks more from the rider. But then you will get rewarded.

The normal screamers are a bit easier to fly and jump. I believe this has to do with small profile differences. And the kites are not just resized.

Personally i prefer the normal screamers. But i have to say the 4G 10m LTD was a rush to play with.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:43 pm

KLK wrote:If the 4G Screamer LTD is good enough to sell customers at full price then why would Epic not make the whole line up the same?
I demoed the 3G Screamers in 9m and 12m, the 3G LTD 10m, and what I think was a prototype for the 4G Screamer (so is it a prototype for the prototype???).

I didn't care for any of them, but that's just me. To me, the LTD seems like a marketing thing. I didn't think the LTDs were any more difficult to ride. I do love the graphics of the LTD.

I really wanted to like the Epic kites, because I love the graphics and Dimitri provides great customer service. The description of the screamer even sounded like exactly my kind of kite, but they just weren't for me. Luckily Dimitri makes it really easy for you to try before you buy, possibly more than any other company. Send him an email and he can probably set you up.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:30 pm

KLK forum identity created three months ago for the sole purpose of Epic bashing.
First post, ask a question that was not a question...then give a negative opinion that Epic kites seem to look like every other kite.
Second post, criticize Dimitri..then talk negatively about how the Epic bar looks.
Third post, criticize me..then redundantly give same negative opinion of how the Epic bar looks.
Forth post, a new thread pondering more questions that are not questions....and more Epic bashing.
Four for Four on the bashing.
Total contribution to the forum....zero.
Awesome. :thumb:
Last edited by L0KI on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KLK
Rare Poster

Postby KLK » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:10 am

Sorry Oldnbroken, you are seem to be mistaken. I didn't say that I was thinking of buying a Screamer LTD or Screamer (an old LTD) I was just thinking about the concept of testing your products on customers that are paying full price and then releasing them a year later in all sizes whilst talking up another version!

Anybody buying a Screamer (last year's LTD) must need their head testing, they are buying a kite that has already been surpassed.

I now see that the Renegade has been labelled as "iconic". I hardly think that a mid range kite you'll never see on most beaches from a small and newly formed brand could be referred to as iconic.

These are some of the reasons why people are not falling for the Epic marketing bullshit.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:17 am

I see....just trolling again.
Maybe better to title your thread "Epic Screamer rant".
Enjoy yourself. :bye:

KLK
Rare Poster

Postby KLK » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:30 am

Was it a rant? Is trolling the act of questioning something?

I'm just asking why anyone would buy a 4G Screamer which is actually just and old, repackaged 3G Screamer LTD. If the LTD is fully tested and ready to go then why not just call it the Screamer and put it out in every size? I am genuinely interested here, the Epic website calls it the "concept kite", they make no pretence about it.

Don't buy a kite until you try an Epic kite but if you want to try the new Screamer then just buy an old Screamer 10M LTD.

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:59 am

I have been kiting for a while, have had a number of kites and currently have a 3G Epic 10 LTD in my current quiver.

Think of it how you want. Is a zebra white with black stripes or black with white stripes? Is the rest of the lineup is 1 generation behind, or is the 10 LTD 1 generation ahead.

Good kite designers no longer just scale kites to make the various sizes. They may start that way but then tweak each size for optimal performance. All sizes cannot be done simultaneously, so Dimitri and Momi start with the 10 and refine it from the previous generation.

Is it a prototype? No, not really. It's a refined high performance kite that is the first size of the next generation. The company's reputation hinges on it, so it's going to perform well.

Ed

ps this thing boosts to the moon. FAA clearance may be required.

KLK
Rare Poster

Postby KLK » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:16 am

Ed, you've fallen for the marketing hype, hook line and sinker dude.

What other company would bring a single sized kite to market claiming it was the first kite of the next year's line up? Anything bar the 10m LTD is, by admission a year behind what is possible.

You maybe happy with the LTD but I wouldn't be happy on any other Screamer knowing there was a better model already in production.

As for boosting to the moon, your profile picture sort of blows that idea out of the water too......

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:14 pm

Truth to be told - there are other kites on the market that boost higher and glide better. I've replaced my 3G 10LTD with a Core's new XR3 10m and that thing goes higher and longer than any Screamer or Thruster that I owned previously. Somebody should advice Dimitri that his "Ltd" thingy is going out of control, when most of his stuff is getting labeled "LTD" - it isn't that "limited" anymore.

Return to “Kitesurfing”