Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

"Dawn Patrol" & Other Stupid Sayings...

Forum for kitesurfers
KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: "Dawn Patrol" & Other Stupid Sayings...

Postby KYLakeKiter » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:24 am

Bain wrote:I'm on dawn patrol tomorrow morning. I'm so stoked, brah!!
Nice :thumb: You got up early for it, so call it what you want!

This is the sport that has "donkey dick" and "oh shit release" written in manuals for the equipment, so any name is fair game here. The more ridiculous the better.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:27 am

Dawn patrol is awesome and so much more so when your passing all the lawn mowing, whale watching, poo stance crew just getting to the beach at 9 am when the wind drops from 20knots down to 12. They are gonna bitch for the next few hours about getting skunked, when they really just missed it. Theres a difference. I usually refer to those moments as making a clean getaway, especially when I'm home before I'm missed! In fact I think a good solo session dawn patrol with a clean getaway is one of my favorite kiting experiences. Either that or getting a really good streak going.

Some of my favorites:

Dope on a rope affectionate term coined by the windsurfers
Pole dancers affectionate rebuttal
and kook not so affectionate term
Oops almost forgot... Dangling.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:25 am

Starsky wrote: Some of my favorites:

Dope on a rope affectionate term coined by the windsurfers
Pole dancers affectionate rebuttal
and kook not so affectionate term
Oops almost forgot... Dangling.
Some of my favs...

Wanks on planks - snowboarders
Dicks on sticks - skiers
Fruit-booters - rollerbladers
Little sissy bitches who are going to get snapped like the pencil-neck half-wits they are if they don't stop fronting like they're all that and not out-weighed by 100lbs - skateboarders.

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:19 am

william_rx7 wrote:Am I the only one that thinks this saying is ridiculous? Is there any other kiting lingo that tops it as the dumbest? Low-End-Grunt seems like a contender...
Dawn patrol is very fitting and so is low end grunt. Just because you don't understand the meaning or history of the sayings doesn't make it ridiculous. Maybe you are just irritated with the people you hear make these statements.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:34 am

Dawn Patrol in surfing means being in the water around sunrise. Mainly to beat the crowd. Not going up and down the coast looking for waves as it sounds literally. So to do/pull a "dawn patrol" means to be one of first one's out. Maybe it was a saying taken from the military. I just know it's been around for as long as I can remember. Since most kiters I know will never wake before the crack of dawn to go kiting, not a very useful term and might sound kind of funny to them, sorta like "Goofy Foot."

Lanc
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Paje, Zanzibar
Green Island, Antigua
Low Bay, Barbuda
Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro

Postby Lanc » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:18 am

I've heard and used the term "dawn patrol" being in the surfing community for the past 20 years. Never questioned where it came from as it did not sound ridiculous but it was exciting to be surfing before the sun rose in the cleanest off shore conditions. We did not have to patrol as we knew the best spots for the current swell and wind directions.

I have done a few kite "sunrise sessions" but never heard the term "dawn patrol" used in the kiting community as 90% of the time the wind dies at sunrise.

"Moving the lawn" to me sounds like the stupidest saying in kiting.

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:34 am

Dawn Patrol in the backyard with a small crew... Early and close to home with a few friends. What can someone ask more...call it like you wish but they are just great sesh...

jannik
Medium Poster

Postby jannik » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:20 pm

william_rx7 wrote:OK, bit of a rant, but WTF is up with the term "Dawn Patrol", when referring to an early morning session. It's got to be the stupidest saying in kiting lingo.
- What exactly are you "patrolling", and why?.
Why would you call it a "session"? Session comes from the latin word sessus and means "sitting". Mostly it refers to group activities where people are sitting such as meetings but the meaning is just "sitting". I have seen people maintain a sitting position while kitesurfing but generally I would advise to a more standing posture :D
Of cause the term is also often used in relation to activities involving drugs and alcohol but that is generally frowned upon in combination with water sports.

bring on the wind please! :cool2:

Rando1994
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tampa bay
Favorite Beaches: East beach at fort desoto
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone zephyr, ocean rodeo rise, mako king
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rando1994 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:42 pm

Either I am really old and just am into history. Dawn Patrol comes from the fliers in WW 1. Fighters would patrol at dawn. Reconnaissance and engagement of other enemy fighters. Many common expressions in our modern vernacular have their roots in historical events.
My feeling is that going on a "dawn patrol" in some ways honors those that died in the event so long long ago. Further, in the dawning light of day, I can imagine the nervousness of those fliers of yore. Much like many of us get that nervous anxious feeling before an awesome session.
Those of you that object to the terminology ought to look more closely at the daily expressions they use. If you carry a "chip on your shoulder", take a "cat nap", 'hob nob' with celebrities, or maybe you just have a "hard and fast" opinion. Either way, you are using expressions rooted in history.
Dawn Patrol, given it's roots in turn-of-the-century aviation and warfare, in my opinion, could not be a more appropriate expression for early morning kiting.
Now only if the wind would blow.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby sijandy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:17 pm

Am I the only one that thinks this saying is ridiculous? Is there any other kiting lingo that tops it as the dumbest? Low-End-Grunt seems like a contender...
"quiver" .... gota be the f***ing gayest term ever!

Return to “Kitesurfing”