Style: strapless foilboard & surfboard
Gear: Boardriding Maui Cloud D kites
Alpinefoil Titanium foil + Wave wing + FS-1 and custom 0-volume foil board
Brand Affiliation: Team rider for SurfinSemFim, Boardriding Maui & Alpinefoil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui

Postby rowboat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:58 pm

The @ronnie - I have seen the Ozone race bars... My bar setup is very similar w/ above the bar trimming via a cleat mounted on the line. However the Ozone bar setup doesn't really solve what I'm getting at -- I don't use the trim system very much, in fact most days in the surf I don't really use it at all. It's sort of a safety feature for when I ride at spots with highly variable wind, allowing me to depower the kite if necessary and still ride. I still use normal bar movement to control power in the kite, it's just that with the Cloud, I want the bar closer to me than where a hook&CL setup puts it. Or at least I think I do. Clearly I need to try the Clouds with a regular bar again to remind myself why I did what I did.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:44 pm

I can relate to what you are talking about, but so far I'm ok with pulling in some depower line when I turn around to start setting up to ride waves. Usually I use a relatively small chicken loop on standard ozone bar, which helps. On the inside, if short on power I let it back out...
But shackle setups could work well I think, just make sure they are releasable or you could end up with big problems.

eree
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby eree » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:02 pm

diogovilla wrote:
eree wrote:
diogovilla wrote:...
I'm not recommending this kite to anyone. I am ASKING recommendations from people who have rode BOTH the kite I currently use (the 2010 switchblade 14m) and the kite I am considering moving to (the cloud 13m).
I live in Brazil. I will not have a chance to try the cloud before buying. Besides staying with the kite I already have, my only option is talking to riders who have flown both kites and get their impressions.
I don't think the Cloud is magic. I just think that it MAY be better for me, based on the characteristics people are telling and my riding style.
When you say that the Cloud "misses the four first gears" and tells me that you have never flown it, i think you are being somewhat irresponsible.
I would really like to hear from people who have tried it and didn't like it. Please stop me from making a mistake or help me moving to a kite that is going to be better for me. Thanks.
i apologize diogovilla, my big mistake.
i actually wanted to respond to the guys who are missing being born light-weight for the talent.

as you, i once tried to find advice here on KF regarding switchkite. i got the some positive reviews from as i now suspect affiliated forum users (if not just fake users). and the result was wasted money.
so my advice - try the kite before you buy it. do not believe what they are wrighting here.
and try it in every possible condition you can have at your place.

sorry again!

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:19 pm

ozonelevel wrote:
eree wrote:
ozonelevel wrote:...Kind of like the difference between driving a sports car with a small turbocharged engine (Cloud), and a pickup truck with a diesel engine (SB).
let me help you be more honest here: driving a sports car with a small turbocharged engine (Cloud) without the first four gears. it will pull you eventually when it develops enough air speed...
Yes, it definitely takes more skill to drive the 5 speed turbo than the diesel automatic.
words automatic and diesel are not going together in one sentence for me.
do you really think driving 5speed manual requires some special gifts?
i know several blond sales women with loooong fake finger nails who can handle it just fine...

but if you are willing to question my skills then put on the weight west to equalize it to the 110kg and try your favorite kite in the real world conditions, not in the flatwater resort conditions.

diogovilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Praia do Coqueiro - Piaui - Brazil

Postby diogovilla » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:41 pm

eree wrote: i apologize diogovilla, my big mistake.
i actually wanted to respond to the guys who are missing being born light-weight for the talent.

as you, i once tried to find advice here on KF regarding switchkite. i got the some positive reviews from as i now suspect affiliated forum users (if not just fake users). and the result was wasted money.
so my advice - try the kite before you buy it. do not believe what they are wrighting here.
and try it in every possible condition you can have at your place.

sorry again!
Hi Eree,

No need to apologize, no harm done. I've had a different experience than yours with kiteforum in the last 04 years. As I said before, I live in Brazil and have very limited gear choices here. If I had waited to try everything before buying, I would never have the chance to enjoy the gear I proudly possess now.

Maybe i am just lucky (or a careful reader), because I've made some great "leaps of faith" over the years. Thanks to the opinions of other kiteforum users, I bought 02 MAKO boards, a dynabar (which i have bought again this year) and a BRAVO eletric pump, and i just love all these products!!!

I am always afraid of being deceived. But i know that NO ONE can fool EVERYONE for a LONG TIME. If fake users make me buy a "fake kite" I will be back to this forum and tell everyone that the kite is not what people are saying. The thing is, I found almost no one claiming having tested the cloud and saying that it is a lie.

I appreciate your effort to avoid me making a mistake. I will wait a little longer for possible "bad reviews", because NO ONE can fool EVERYONE for a LONG TIME.

Thanks,
DIogo

diogovilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Praia do Coqueiro - Piaui - Brazil

Postby diogovilla » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:50 pm

eree wrote: i actually wanted to respond to the guys who are missing being born light-weight for the talent
By the way, i am a heavy rider (105kg). Let's assume that the Cloud really have a better low end. It will work with heavy and light riders, right? Of course it will be even better for light riders... Don't you agree?

Thanks,
Diogo

rowboat
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco @ Crissy Field
Favorite Beaches: NE Brazil w/ SurfinSemFim

Postby rowboat » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:30 am

btw in case anyone is interested, this is pretty much exactly what my bar looks like now: https://shop.ride-engine.com/how-to-setup-a-slider-bar/

rowboat
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco @ Crissy Field
Favorite Beaches: NE Brazil w/ SurfinSemFim

Postby rowboat » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:55 pm

Since some have asked - I should add that 1) I am not advocating running a bar like this, because it does lack several (all) of the safety features of over-the-counter bars and 2) I use this with a Jay DynaBar, which has it's own release built into the line which replaces the hook. Pull the red ball on the harness, and the sliding line is released. However, this is a topic for another thread, sorry for hijacking.

Jantrit
Rare Poster

Postby Jantrit » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:20 am

I'm a newer kiter in my 3rd season. I bought a cloud a few months back as my light wind kite. I can echo a number of the other comments already made. The cloud for me is very predictable, quick turning, and generates great power in light wind. I've only had it fall out of the sky on me when I've been messing around to see in just how low of wind can i get it to still fly.

The kite is very different than my North Rebel's of various years but these new characteristics are adding to the joy of learning to fly the cloud. Bottom line for me is that I'm glad I bought my cloud 17 and can't wait for the return of more consistent wind to play with it all winter long. My next kite will probably be another cloud.

my .02

JV
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Close to home: Petit Travers et Espiguette near Montpellier, French Mediterranean
Close to ancesters native place: Ste Barbe south Brittany French Atlantic
Style: Papy kiting freeride and waves
Gear: Boards: rarely my 555 Nobile 140 x 44, Mostly a Rootshape Slice surfkite 170 (ex Aska board) and a F-One Fish 5.10 in lightwinds. Kites: Boardriding Maui Clouds 17, 13 & 10m, and Griffin Chimeras 10 & 8m and occasionaly Ozone Instinct 6m.

Upwind capability

Postby JV » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi y'all
How would you compare to other kites the BRM Cloud upwind capability (for the same board of course)?
Let's say what Cloud size you are talking about.
Thanks

Return to “Kitesurfing”