looktodskies
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wainman bar and lines replacement...

Postby looktodskies » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:40 pm

Hey all,

ive had the 2012 big mama since it came out and got the punch about 6 months after that. Now ive had to replace the lines on the big mama twice and need to replace the lines on the punch now too.
the wear and tear is just not great plus getting replacement lines seems to be tricky as the center lines need to be very thin to fit through the swivel..

Can anyone suggest alternative bars that have better quality line setups? Not sure what bars work with the wainman kites outside the one that comes with..

By wear and tear i'm talking once or twice a month is about as much as i get out. wash the lines in fresh water after most sessions.

Cheers

seaplus
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish, CrazyFly

Re: Wainman bar and lines replacement...

Postby seaplus » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:52 pm

Sounds like you get alot of kiting in. My WH 2012's are over a year old and appear to be in great shape compared to my kite-bud's other brand bars & lines.

Do you drag your lines across the beach? Sand reaks havok on lines/pulleys/swivels/etc...

But to answer your question...just about any 4-line bar/line system should work with your WH kites.

Cheers,
SeaPlus

looktodskies
Rare Poster

Postby looktodskies » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:23 pm

Don't get me wrong. the kites are in superb shape. Its the lines that are the problem. The line ends started falling apart after 3 months. I rarely self launch so not dragging the lines around the place. The pigtails themselves are ok, standard wear and tear. its just the lines that cant hack it.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:28 pm

So you are getting 1 year use kiting once or twice a month, that's 25 sessions? Tho you did say they are worn out after 3 months, which is I guess 10 sessions? That's not right. You should get at least 100 sessions with those lines. If you replace them with more durable lines it will only extend the life by twice as much not 10 times as much. You don't normally need to wash the lines. For some reason you seem to be wearing out the wainman lines between 4 and 10 times quicker than everyone else. Can you take a picture of the worn lines, maybe we can figure out why they wear out so much faster than everyone else.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:31 pm

Slingshot bar for your question.

I had the first rabbit bars and lines so not sure on the new bar. Only time I replaced my lines were when a self launch went wrong and the lines brushed a metal sign and after dumping a kite in a wave. I had to rebuild the bar as 2 leaders broke a front and rear one. The lines didn't show no damage but I was not willing to take a chance.

I know what your talking about at the ends. Right below your spectra and loops it gets soft and flimsy. I think that is more the wax wearing out that they put on lines.

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:57 pm

Check the sleeving at the point where it meets the lines. It is normally heat cut and can leave sharp hard plastic edges, these will quickly wear through your lines. When this used to happen on my naish bars I would remove the sharp edges with nail clippers.

ghiller
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Beddingebeach
Style: Wave
Gear: Wainman, red domingo, xcelerator epic

Postby ghiller » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:47 am

I am flying all my wainman kites with a RRD v4 bar, all the way from the bunny to the boss. I had do attach one of the wainman pigtails to make the centerlines a little longer, but that was very easy. It's the best bar I have ever used. Clean and with good features. The lines are completely different from other kite lines, a little thicker, very easy to untangle. The lines have absolutely no stretch and gives the kite a very direct feel.

cleepa
Frequent Poster

Postby cleepa » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:50 pm

I have not had a problem with the lines on my Wainman bar wearing out. The only place I have noticed wear is at the point where the lines cross when you loop the kite. I replaced the lines after 2+ full seasons because of that. That's well over 100 sessions, probably closer to 200, looping the kite a lot. You should definitely be getting more wear out of the lines.

looktodskies
Rare Poster

Postby looktodskies » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:32 am

will check the lines again at the weekend and get a few pics. the shelves are the main area which are falling apart.

Return to “Kitesurfing”