jb74
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiteboarding at Rhodes

Postby jb74 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:25 pm

Hi,
I plan a kiteboarding trip with my other half to Rhodes between 17-24 August.
It will be my very first time there so, those who have experience about kiteboarding in Rhodes and certainly those who live in Rhodes could you please inform me about below:
- I’m a beginner kiteboarder. I read that there are two main kitespots in Rhodes. One in north - Kremasti area – and one in south - Prasonisi. I’m not sure about the wind direction at these spots but just to be on safe side I would book rescue (jet ski) as well (if it’s possible). In the light of the above which kite spot would you recommend for me?
- Can you also recommend accommodation near the kite spots? Definitely I will rent a car but I don’t really want to drive more than 40-60 minutes from the accommodation to the spot. I would rather prefer to be closer to the restaurants and drive to the beach than being accommodated close to the beach without the possibility of having a good dinner (and wine:-)). I found some accommodations but the experience is the best lead in choosing a hotel or apartment.
- I’m wondering whether it worth to carry my board with me (and pay an extra 80 Euro for the flight company) or it’s cheaper to rent one….? So far I found one kiteschool in Kremasti – but I haven’t got a reply from them re board rent price. I would be thankful if you could send me some kitecenter or kiteschool links.
Any useful info will be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

jb74
Rare Poster

Re: Kiteboarding at Rhodes

Postby jb74 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:05 pm

Another question pop up in my mind. I’ve been to places where a daily fee has to be paid for the local kiteschool /kitecentre (I suppose they are renting the place or…I don’t know what is behind…).
Is it the case in Rhodes as well? Do you have to pay a daily amount to be able to use the kitespots?
Thanks.

Rufusz
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton, Hungary
Favorite Beaches: Hurghada, Egypt
Viganj, Croatia
El Médano, Tenerife
Style: Foil, Freeride
Gear: Kitech 6m2, 9m2, 15m2 foil kites
Moses Fluente
Flysurfer radical4

Postby Rufusz » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:39 pm

I'm also planning a trip between 11-24 August to Prasonisi. This will be my first time but many of my kitesurfing mates been there already so got some info.
According to them Prasonisi is a lot windier than the rest of Rhodes but it lacks of nightlife, restaurants, luxury. There is a 3 star hotel named Oasis next to the spot, apart from that the only accomodation available is wild camping.
2 little grocery shops are next to the spot and a kebab shop I guess.

2 kiteschools available: pro center and an other one (no idea under what name)
You can find them online and ask for rental prices.
The spot is free, but you need to pay for the rescue if you blown too far offhore (each school has rescue available)
The next village, Kattavia is about 20mins drive, with more accomodation.

The spot itself is divided by a split, the Western side has onshore winds and waves, the Eastern has flatwater but offshore. I was told that most days the wind reaches about 20kn, I still need to sort out a small kite for the missus :)

I have no info on Kremasti.

One of my friends just got back and told me that its possible to get away with 20eur charge for the kite gear at the airport if you are loud enough ;)

jb74
Rare Poster

Postby jb74 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanks for your detailed reply Rufusz.
I read that at Prasonisi you have more space...but it's more crowded as well....and the rescue is more expensive :(
I'll try to book accomodation in north but will definitely visit Prasonisi also just to see and try the circumstances and to have a picture about it for future reference.
I'm not really looking after nightlife. Is important to me to have a reasonable choice of meal/restaurants....but the rest of the time I want to spend on the water.
I really hope that even Kremasti area is windy enough as I plan to take a 10m2 kite for my 90 kg. I was wondering whether the 16.5m2 would be better for my weight....but it might be to big for those conditions. Unfortunately I don't have a 12m2 which would be perfect I think.
A kite school replied me re board rent....too expensive so, I'll carry mine.
Thanks again and wish you good wind during your stay.
Cheers.

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:19 pm

Hi there! I have lived and kitesurfed in Rhodes for 12 years - now it is sunny England for me, tomorrow Hustanton for the first time with a Cabrinha 2006 I borrowed from a friend, haha, never mind... Here is some info you need:

West coast spots / schools:

Kremasti has side or side-on wind, the school name is Air Riders, google it for further info. Generally pretty windy in August unless you are unucky, best wind between 13:00 and 18:00. It is 5-10 min drive from big hotels in Ixia (Rhodos Palace, Olympic etc), another 10 minutes if you stay in Rhodes town. Nice people, manager Dora.

Theologos http://www.happy-rhodos.de/rho/en/kitesurf.html has another kite school, similar wind timing, direction and intensity, another ten minutes to reach it from Kremasti. Nice people there as well, manager Spyros. Doretta beach hotel just next to the school.

Fanes has another kiteschool, 5-10 minutes from Theologos.

Prasonisi is an incredible spot. Wind almost guaranteed for August. Waves (but on shore, must have your upwind sorted out) and flat (but side-off shore, must be careful not to lose your kit, better buy rescue before you need it, it is cheaper unless you are a pro in self rescue) on the same spot. There are two kiteschools and 2-3 hotels, also restaurants. If you haven't booked early you will not find accommodation there. Look a the map for nearby villages and resorts, you must look on the East coast in places like Kiotari, Gennadi, Lachania, Plimmiri or if you are prepared to drive a bit longer, Pefkos or Lindos.

Food and wine available everywhere on the island. No worries there :-) :thumb:
Enjoy! 8)

jb74
Rare Poster

Postby jb74 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:31 pm

Thanks Ned.
"Kremasti has side or side-on wind" - I'm glad to hear this as I decided to book an apartment in north (in Trianda). I'll get in contact with the kite schools to have a picture about the services they offer. I'm really interested if there is enough space for landing etc....At Garda lake in Italy you hardly can launch your kite on the 'beach' as you don't have enough space. I hope that in Rhodes the circumstances are similar as in Tarifa :D
If you say that Prasonisi is incredible then I'll pay a visit..... but it won't be my favorite spot yet at Rhodes as there are plenty rooms to improve my upwind skills :(

Return to “Travel”