Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kitesurfing? That's not on our list of sports gear so....

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Kitesurfing? That's not on our list of sports gear so....

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:26 pm

check all that shit in for free!

Thanks Thai Airways. Please do the same on the way home :jump:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Kitesurfing? That's not on our list of sports gear so...

Postby Toby » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:05 pm

really?

1 year ago I flew business, and had to pay 300 USD or so...

You got lucky...don't expect it on the way back...but fingers are crossed!

Don't tell it is like windsurf, maybe that's the trick ;-)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:43 am

Yeah! Shocked me too... last time we paid the windsurfing "size" rate - $250 return for my kite bag plus a check-in. This time, I just checked in my kite bag and had no other check-in...

The clerk warned me that "this was THIS time so don't expect the same deal next time."

jbdc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ashbridges Bay, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Hanlan's Point, ON
Favorite Beaches: Hanlan's Point, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Ashbridges Bay, ON
Delray Beach, FL
Style: Intermediate
Gear: 2012 Pansh Aurora 15m
2010 Slingshot Octane 13m
2011 Cabrinha Crossbow 9m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Rise 7m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Cypher 5m

2010(?) Imagine Surf Fat Fish 5'2"
2011 Nobile NBL 142x42cm
2012 Ocean Rodeo Mako FR 135x37cm

2004 Gaastra Force 14m
2002 Liquid Force Switch 185cm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby jbdc » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:57 pm

The airline I use most often has a policy which states, that for Golf Clubs, "One bag with clubs, shoes and balls is accepted per guest." It gets treated as a regular piece of checked luggage (the first one is free on this airline). I have an NPX 'Golf' bag, so I pack it with two clubs (with composite shafts to keep the weight down), two balls, and a pair of cheap flip-flops. Et voila: GOLF BAG.

I wheel it up to the counter with the 'GOLF' facing them and let the agent make assumptions. If they ask, it's 'Golf clubs and sporting equipment.' If they want to check, I'll gladly show them how it meets their definition. I haven't had that happen yet, but I'm ready for that argument. To top it all off, on my last trip I was investigating baggage insurance and learned about 'excess valuation'. It's something most airlines offer to cover loss above and beyond their usual compensation. It's meant for Louis Vuitton bags and such, but it's available for a small fee to anyone. The check-in agents on both departure and return had never heard of it, but on the way back they figured out how to charge me the $10 to cover up to $3000 in loss or damage.

Toby is right however, do not under any circumstances say the word 'surf,' even in compound words. Surfboards and windsurfers are usually charged out the wazoo. If they get into your stuff and ask about it, it is kiteBOARDing equipment. You know, "like waterskiing or wakeboarding without a boat." (Said airline also has an allowance for 'skis, snowboards and waterskis'.)

It also helps to check-in early (at or around the 2-3 hours required before departure these days) and make sure the bag isn't overweight. I take all the dense stuff in my carry-on(s) (which doesn't get weighed): wetsuit, bars, helmet, etc.

This advice isn't necessarily for Kamikuza specifically, but tips for anyone seeing as we haven't had a baggage discussion in a while.

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby windybrit » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:08 pm

Early check in yes, a good idea. Read also the airlines fine print for sporting equipment, some carriers "suggest" that if you'll have sporting equipment that you pre-register it .
jbdc wrote:The airline I use most often has a policy which states, that for Golf Clubs, "One bag with clubs, shoes and balls is accepted per guest." It gets treated as a regular piece of checked luggage (the first one is free on this airline). I have an NPX 'Golf' bag, so I pack it with two clubs (with composite shafts to keep the weight down), two balls, and a pair of cheap flip-flops. Et voila: GOLF BAG.

I wheel it up to the counter with the 'GOLF' facing them and let the agent make assumptions. If they ask, it's 'Golf clubs and sporting equipment.' If they want to check, I'll gladly show them how it meets their definition. I haven't had that happen yet, but I'm ready for that argument. To top it all off, on my last trip I was investigating baggage insurance and learned about 'excess valuation'. It's something most airlines offer to cover loss above and beyond their usual compensation. It's meant for Louis Vuitton bags and such, but it's available for a small fee to anyone. The check-in agents on both departure and return had never heard of it, but on the way back they figured out how to charge me the $10 to cover up to $3000 in loss or damage.

Toby is right however, do not under any circumstances say the word 'surf,' even in compound words. Surfboards and windsurfers are usually charged out the wazoo. If they get into your stuff and ask about it, it is kiteBOARDing equipment. You know, "like waterskiing or wakeboarding without a boat." (Said airline also has an allowance for 'skis, snowboards and waterskis'.)

It also helps to check-in early (at or around the 2-3 hours required before departure these days) and make sure the bag isn't overweight. I take all the dense stuff in my carry-on(s) (which doesn't get weighed): wetsuit, bars, helmet, etc.

This advice isn't necessarily for Kamikuza specifically, but tips for anyone seeing as we haven't had a baggage discussion in a while.

JessicaWinkler
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Bay, Turks & Caicos
Style: Surf, freestyle, speed
Gear: RRD Boards: Bliss, Maquina, C.O.T.A.N
RRD Kites: Obsession, Religion
Brand Affiliation: RRD, Adidas Eyewear, LifeProof, MG Surfline, Freeride Project, GlideSoul
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby JessicaWinkler » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:33 pm

We are flying on TAP and they charge 90 euros for kiteboards and you have to print off a form and sign it saying they are not responsible for any damage done to your boards. That is crazy! I understand for surf boards because they are so fragile but if my kiteboard is damaged while flying then it's their fault. Things like this make me so mad!!

Return to “Travel”